Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Waxing Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Rainy and cool


Can I just say that the fatal Greyhound bus crash day before yesterday in upstate New York does not make me eager to hop on the bus at Port Authority this morning?

The newest sensory exercise, dealing with sound, is up on the Scruffy Dog Review blog.

Cried a lot yesterday about New Orleans, one of the cities of my heart. I feel guilty that The Situation prevented me from going down to build with Habitat for Humanity this past spring, but as they said, “We’ll need your help for years. Take care of the home front and then come and help us when you can.”

I still haven’t found some of the people with whom I regularly hung out on my trips. Some were relocated. And some, probably, died. It’s hard when so many people go by nicknames or you don’t know last names, or there’s only a meeting place, not a home address. I’ve spent a year trying to trace as many people as I can via search engines and mutual acquaintances and some of the hangouts that reopened. But I have to face the fact that I may never know about some of them.

So, I hope to go down for a bit next spring, once the home and hearth issues are settled.

I found a folder yesterday with a fun, snappy, unusual piece in it that I wrote several years ago. It needs a few tweaks, but, when I get back next week, I’m going to put the tweaks in and start sending it out. The humor is slightly on the brittle side, and it explores some opinions that interest me about the power of belief. It’s magical realism – which more and more of my work turns to lately – and I have to sit down with the new copies of WM and figure out who the heck will pay for it! Just over 5K – a good length, but so many publications want stories that run 1-1.5K.

I’ll just have to put a little research into it, shan’t I?

Three and a half good pages on Real. I think I’m back on track. Of course, now I won’t be able to work on it for a few days, but, for some reason, this novel is easier to drop in and out of for me than many others. Or maybe I’m just getting more professional in my work. I’m going to try to get out a few pages before I leave.

The show was fine yesterday. Caught up with everyone, especially a friend of mine who’s also in career transition. It was raining very hard most of the day – I had to do the up-and-over the tracks instead of the tunnel under when I returned, because the tunnel was flooded. Fortunately, the brook seems to have held – I couldn’t have moved the car to higher ground if I wanted, because the street I’d move it to was underwater.

I’ll be offline for a few days – I wish everyone a great last week of August. I’ll post my evaluation of August and my GDRs for September early next week.

And “Ris an Abrar” is all I’m taking with me to Philly. Along with a blank pad of paper and some extra pens, of course.

Devon


Real – 92,750 words out of est. 100,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
92 / 100
(92.0%)

13 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Dammit! Just as I finally get "Online"!!!

:-(

Have fun!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Have a great week, Devon!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Have a great trip!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip! d:)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Sandy J said...

Have fun and tell us all about it when you return. Hope you get some writing done.

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

Hope you have a great time, Devon!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Have a wonderful trip!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Have a wonderful and safe trip! :)

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Devon, I'm so sorry I couldn't meet up with you yesterday! As it turned out, I found myself in Scranton WITH my daughter at that concert - her friend bailed on her last-minute. I did the "mom" thing and went with her.

We'll catch up on your return trip, toots. :))

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I hope you have/had a great trip. See you soon.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Ahh, my friend does Habitat for Humanity - a really great project. Wish we had it over here.

Have a good trip, Devon.

:o)

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger ivan said...

Finding old work you can improve usually bodes well for the future.
Charles de Gaulle was still working on an old university essay he thought he could improve just before the liberation of Paris.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger J. M. Cornwell said...

I decided to thank you for your comment on my blog and return the favor by reading yours. Nice to meet another writer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home