Friday, September 29, 2006

Friday, September 29, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Rainy and muggy


“Vulcan’s Child” by Rachelle Arlin Credo is today’s poem on Circadian.

Will Neptune please turn direct already? This is NOT fun!!!

Worked on some admin stuff in the morning, then read the 4th book (yes, people, I read four entire books in one twenty four hour period and my eyeballs are no longer speaking to me), then worked on the proposal.

Just as I was two paragraphs from the end – CRACK!

Everything in the apartment flashed and most of the apartment went dark. A few things worked in the kitchen, but the rest of the place – including the computer – was out. With my proposal. Which I had composed on the screen, instead of what I usually do, which is longhand first and THEN type it.

Called the super. He came up and we went through the usual – breakers, felt the walls for heat, etc., etc. Checked some of the empty apartments in the section – half of each apartment was out. He went to get an electrician; I went to have a nervous breakdown. I told the super if one of the jackasses on the road crew working outside had cut the wrong wires, I would cut his wires. The jackass’s, not the super’s. The super here is great. The super called the electrician and everything was set to rights in a relatively short amount of time.

All because some idiot is careless with his jackhammer.

Take that any way you wish.

And, thanks to Colin’s tutorials, I actually took a few deep breaths and managed to recover most of the proposal, finish it, and get it out. Without having to whimper or panic and track him down, either. See, Colin? I actually pay ATTENTION when you try to teach me something. I don’t always understand it, but when I do, I can continue using what you’ve taught me. Or, even if I don’t totally understand it, I can follow your instructions and get it to work anyway.

And THEN I opened the great big bottle of wine.

Forgot to mention that, prior to the reading marathon, I finished The Meaning of Night. I enjoyed the book – without liking the protagonist. So often, when someone mentions not liking the protagonist, the author gets all huffy and says the reader is judging the stylistic choice. Well, in Cox’s book, having an unreliable and unlikeable narrator works. Two small things that bothered me: One was that, there are letters within books and letters, and I didn’t feel enough differentiation in the voices. However, that might have been a stylistic choice, since the narrator tells us the contents – I wasn’t always sure. The other was that the protagonist is easily deceived by someone and I found it hard to believe he could be so easily deceive, even though the author’s point was that he wanted to be (I think). In any case, I enjoyed the book. And I learned a lot from it.


Started reading another book, lent to me by a friend. I have to admit that I’m struggling with it. 221 pages into it, and I’m really annoyed with the writer. I’m trying to cut him slack – so far, I feel he’s fallen into every cliché of negative witchcraft stereotyping there is. I tried to cut him slack because, even though it’s technically fantasy, it’s set in an actual historical time period and those demented, paranoid, vile lies were believed. However, I also feel that the writer’s getting off on detailing torture, especially torture of women, and that pisses me off. You can paint a horrifying picture of the abuse these women suffered in a few paragraphs and have it be gripping, frightening, revolting, emotional. But to run a torture sequence for over twenty pages? That’s gratuitous, and you’re enjoying the sadism. And then maybe a page or two of story before the next torture sequence. No, thank you.

Worked on an outline of an action adventure, did some more work on Assumptions of Right, and started playing with a few more stories that need to get out in the next week or so. Some of it is revision on written material; some is playing with new ideas.

I’m avoiding the synopsis, and I can’t get away with that any longer, so I’ll tackle that today. I want to do some work on Real first, and then see what I can do with the synopsis. Came across a possible market for Elusive Prayers, too, so I might have to re-read that and see if I can make a go of it.

Devon

9 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Heather Brewer said...

It's hard to trudge through writing we don't like...especially when the writer seems to lack any sense of what witchcraft really is. In fact, the only book, I think, that got close, was MISTS OF AVALON...but that was a while ago. Any suggestions?

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Ack! I'd be having seven kinds of fits if I'd been you. I'm glad you were back up and running in fairly short order.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Here's my question: is it worth trudging through writing you don't like just to finish the book when there are so many other books out there waiting to be read? I'm reading a book right now that I thought would be really good, but I'm having a terrible time getting into it. In fact, I haven't read it for four days now. I have a TON of other books I want to read. Should I keep reading this one just in case it gets better? Or abandon it now? I'm thinking the latter.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Heather Brewer said...

As I've gotten older, I've gotten more impatient with books, personally. I'd rather sit them aside and move on to something worth my time.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I'm in this place right now - I'm reading a historical fiction book that sounded fascinating, but I just can't keep my attention on it. So do I keep plugging away, hoping it gets better, or trash it? Aaaaargh.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I'm in this place right now - I'm reading a historical fiction book that sounded fascinating, but I just can't keep my attention on it. So do I keep plugging away, hoping it gets better, or trash it? Aaaaargh.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

I used to hang on by a thread with books I didn't like, but I've grown impatient over the years, and now will move on to a new book with the same hope of enjoyment and eventual delight when it proves a good read. d:)

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

Hi Devon. Which house is Neptune transiting through in your chart? Any interesting aspects going on? Good luck with your writing!

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Costume Imp said...

I warned you that I put that very book down myself. Sometimes you just want to read something else. Yes, the man is a sadist and the story moves very slow. I would much rather revisit Valdemar.

But you make a good point. I will often put a book down in order to read something else. This is MY time we are talking about here, and it has become drier than the Valley of the Kings... I put it down.

I've done it to Anne Rice even... (who, by the way has pushed the envelope far enough... GET AN EDITOR !)

Often times I can get more enjoyment from the 'put it down' book at a later point in time. It often has to do with where I am mentally. Sometimes you just want to read something light and entertaining, and other times are better for the more dense (or harder read) books.

I HOPE your hot water becomes consistant soon!!

Love & Light!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home