Saturday, September 30, 2006

Saturday, September 30, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and cold


Good riddance to bad rubbish: The Florida Republican senator or congressman or whatever who resigned after it was discovered he sent sexually explicit emails to underage pages. And supposedly he was so strong on child protection!

Looking forward to reading Bob Woodward’s new book, State of Denial. He was one of the reporters who broke Watergate – good journalist who doesn’t just talk out of his ass.

Congratulations to Caro Llewellyn, who, on Monday, takes over as the new director of the PEN World Voices: New York International Festival of Literature. She comes to PEN from the Sydney Writers Festival, where the former director of the Perth Writers Festival will take over.

Having spent a short period of time in Australia when one of my plays was produced there, I can say first hand that they love writers.

Did 6 ½ pages on Real yesterday. Passed the 100K mark. Nowhere near done. I’m going to sigh and enjoy it on the Word Meter today, and then up the count. The piece is definitely unique – I’ve never read anything like it before, and it’s something I’d want to read. But it will need a lot of work in the revisions. I have no doubt it will continue to grow like ivy until the end of the second draft. Then, in draft 3, I can bring out the Red Machete. I love the Red Machete.

Several people asked me whether or not to continue reading books they disliked. At this point, unless I’m being paid to review it, I put the books down when I hate them. The 120 page self-pity party last week was an exception, because I kept thinking it HAD to get better, and it was short.

If I’m paid, I’ll slog through it no matter what. Otherwise – forget it.

Diana over on Diaphanous turned me on to BOOKMOOCH. If you accumulate books that you don’t like, you can find them good homes and, in return, get books you want on BookMooch. Check it out.

Prep work on Assumption of Right. I got very caught up in the world of it, and it’s surprising me. In fact, a major character for whom I hadn’t planned swooped in to add additional conflict between the two protagonists. Instead of being out and out suspense, it’s veering into romantic suspense, untried territory for me. But that’s the point, right? Use Nano to stretch.

Worked on the outline for Dixie Dust Rumors. It’s been at least four years since I had to write an outline for everything – I’ve pitched sans outline thus far, using loglines, pitch paragraphs, samples, general overviews, fast talking. And I had to go to one of the writer’s group for a refresher. I felt like a moron.

Worked on November’s “Lit Athlete” column.

Heard back from the anthology editor, who wants an expanded proposal on one of the topics I sent yesterday. Will work on that today and send off tomorrow night, so it’s waiting for her first thing Monday.

I was supposed to do a kazillion errands yesterday; instead, I stayed home and wrote. I have to make up for it today.

Ink in My Kitchen:
Baked chicken done simply with olive oil, garlic and rosemary, with mashed potatoes and peas for supper. I’d been so wrapped up in my writing, I forgot to make the Viennese chocolate sponge cake I meant to bake, so I went back to basics: trusty old Devil’s Food Cake recipe, with a bit of brandy tossed in. Yum!

This morning, it’s scrambled eggs and cheese on English muffins. And, of course, my favorite Italian coffee to which I got addicted in Philadelphia. Found a place to get it here.

Maybe, just maybe, if I’m organized enough this morning, I can bake bread.

September GDR wrap-up:

Complete:
Real – well, I hit 100K, the estimated endpoint, and then found out it wasn’t done. Sigh.
“Ris an Abrar” – complete, revised, out
Decisions – don’t start
4 Dog Blogs

In Process:
Real – see above. It keeps on and on and on . . .
Fix-It Girl
DE site
November’s Lit Athlete

Dropped/Undone:
Clear the Slot revision

Additional:
Swapping stories with my crit partner
Became an associate member of PEN
Trip to Sunnyside
Wrote “The Retriever”, revised, and submitted it.
Notes on several short stories.
1200 words on I-Don’t-Know-What-This-Is-Yet
Revised “Not My Vote” and submitted
Revised “Election Exaction” and submitted
Revised “Needed” and submitted
Revised “As the Sky Lightens” and submitted
Outlined Assumption of Right
Started “Disappearing”
Revised “To Die For” and submitted
Revised “Tumble” into Tumble and submitted
Began “Bones and Books”
Revised “Blueberrying” and submitted
Anthology pitch
Revised query for Dixie Dust Rumors

Disappointments:
Didn’t get a script-for-hire job
Other major script opportunity turned out to be more of a scam than a job
A publisher with whom I’ve worked for a dozen years not only puts the wrong byline in the catalogue, but misspells it.
A forum which used to be a haven, but is now a place where the Unpublished attack the Published as hacks.

Successes:
Lit Athlete column published
“Muse” published
“Lady” published
The 2007 annuals are out!
So many stories revised and submitted!

September Reading:
A children’s Betsy Ross bio – title and author escape me. Good.
A Year at the Races by Jane Smiley. Excellent.
The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll. Very good.
The Memory of All That by Betsy Blair. Good.
The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee. Excellent.
Journals of Washington Irving, Vol. I by Washington Irving (unfinished). Very good.
Small Wonders by Barbara Kingslover (unfinished). Very good.
The Courtesan by Susan Carroll. Very good.
The Silver Rose by Susan Carroll. Very good.
The Mystery Guest by Gregoire Bouilliers. 120 page self-pity party. Men seem to love this book; I hated it.
The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox. Very good.
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. Very good.
Hot Six by Janet Evanovich. Very good.
To the Nines by Janet Evanovich. Very good.
Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich. Very good.
The Book of Shadows by James Reese (unfinished). Came recommended, but I didn’t like it.

I’m also working on the GDR questions for 2007. I’ll probably post them mid-month.

I also made a promise to myself that for every new big project I start, I have to do 2-4 pages per day on something that’s been hanging around unfinished.


Devon



Real – 100,125 words out of est. 100,000

Zokutou word meter
100 / 100
(100.0%)

6 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I used to always finish books I started. No more. Way too many other books to read.

As for books I don't want to keep, I used to sell them on eBay and Half.com, but it was such a hassle getting them in the mail. Now I just give to the my local library. They're small and have a small budget so they're always thrilled to add to the collection. :)

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Coffee cup toast (French Roast, 'cause I keep forgetting to pick up Italian) to all you've accomplished! d:))

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger John said...

Congratulations for your succes, you're inspiring.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

1200 words on I-Don’t-Know-What-This-Is-Yet

Lol, those are mean little plotbunnies, aren't they. I've got one of these as well.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Good advice - my bad book is hereby ditched!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Sandy J said...

Can relate to the wrong byline/misspelling. Everytime I am to get credit for something, it is usually wrong in some way or another.

I have learned to put down books I am not enjoying. Life is too short.

You cook for yourself. What an inspiration! I keep fantasizing that if I lived alone, I would NEVER cook, LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home