Saturday, September 09, 2006

Saturday, September 9, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny, hot, and humid


“Lady” (written as Christy Miller) is up here.

I’m starting to wonder if I’m ever going to get them out of the Santa Anita Racetrack in Real. Jeez – it was supposed to be three or four pages, and it’s become its own section. I’m going to have to cut SO much from this piece.

And, obviously I’m frittering around too much time, because I’m wondering if I should let my word meter hit the 100K/100% mark for my ego, or keep pushing it back as the word count grows. Maybe I’ll give myself the momentary pleasure of hitting the mark, and then see about pushing it back.

Maybe I’m the one who needs Time Management for Dummies.

Broke through the resistance on “Ris an Abrar” and wrote six pages. I’m pushing my boundaries here, and I’m glad. It’s a little unnerving at times, but I’m glad.

I worked on the blouse, but I followed the directions instead of paying attention, and had to take out one part and do it over. So, although I SHOULD be finished, I’m not. I need to change the curve slightly in the side seam to skim my body better when I finish fixing this other bit, then hem it and I’m done.

By taking so much extra time on this go-round with the pattern, I hope the next few times I use it (I’m doing the same blouse in several fabrics and textures) will be easier. I’ll have it down to a system. I made notes on what I needed to change, so hopefully I won’t need to stop and reinvent the wheel (or, in this case, the seam) each time.

Off to Hartsdale to the place where I bought my machine for a new manual and to ask a question about the zipper foot. I’m not used to using one – in fact, I just switched back to the regular foot and sewed in the zipper the way I have for over thirty years, and it’s fine. But I HAVE the darned thing, so I might as well use it.

And then some laundry, back to writing, and editing an article for Tuesday’s Circadian.

Devon




Real – 97,333 words out of estimated 100,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
97 / 100
(97.0%)


“Ris an Abrar” – 5,000 words out of estimated 9,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
5 / 9
(55.6%)

5 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I'm doing laundry too.
:-P

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Ovation Leader said...

As one having gorged myself with words in my first novel, I must suggest caution when that 100,000 word count approaches. A word cut diet is as painful as a body fat diet. I have experience with both.

One who has time to sew and write? Simply amazing.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I’m starting to wonder if I’m ever going to get them out of the Santa Anita Racetrack in Real.

I had that problem with my 1920s murder mystery. Only I couldn't get my gang out of a hospital. I swear, they spent more time there than anywhere else in the whole book. *g*

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Ovation Leader said...

How fun to chat across the blogosphere. Glad to hear you're deft with the red machete. My first novel weighed more than 170,000 words when I placed the last period of the first draft. Several versions later my agent picked it up at 149,000. It clunked through its first round of submissions before my agent suggested we pull it back and give it a pace lift and some logosuction. I whacked back more than 20,000 words and felt deprived of every word. But like with a body fat make-over, the final result feels great. Now it's up to the agent.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Ovation Leader said...

Devon said in Ovations:
Chat, chat, chat go we! I absolutely adore cutting -- it's my second favorite part of the process, after creating! ;) Cutting a play in rehearsal is my favorite -- once you have a three dimensional human saying the words, about 30% of them can go!

True in real life also! Too bad we can't say "cut" and edit real life conversation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home