Thursday, September 07, 2006

Thursday, September 07, 2006
Full Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and humid

The new installment of “The Literary Athlete” is up here. It’s about the problems faced in the middle of a piece, and Chaz Brenchley, Ann Cleeves, Susan Hill, P.B. Ryan, and Tim Waggoner were kind enough to answer some questions. There’s also a sidebar to the article with some of their worst “middle’ experiences.

I hope you enjoy it.

I finally got around to some of the sewing yesterday. I’m making a princess-seamed shell – about half way done with it. I’ll post photos of the fabric, the cats “helping” and the finished garment when it’s done. My camera’s viewing screen went wonky, so I hope it doesn’t affect the photos.

It wasn’t easy – not only have I misplaced the user manual for the machine (but I figured out most of it), but I caught a mistake in the layout. Fortunately, I caught it before I started cutting. I mean, this is a Vogue pattern – I expect perfection. Also, who do they get to write the directions? It’s either written by a sewer who can’t write or a writer who’s never sewn. I decided to look on the directions as “suggestions.” Especially since I’m using a different type of zipper, which means I have to rearrange the steps in construction, or I’ll wind up not being able to put the zipper in flat.

My fusible interfacing wouldn’t fuse. It sat there on the fabric, edges curling pitifully, and would not fuse to the fabric. I pinned it in between the fabric and the facing to see if I wanted to sew it in, and it looked like Kevlar in there, even though it’s lightweight, so to hell with it.

That’s the problem with shopping at Jo-Ann’s. They’re fine for quilting and crafts, but if you’re seriously making clothes. . . I should have just made the extra early trip to one of my sources in the garment district, and I’d have interfacing that worked. I hate interfacing on a garment as simple as a shell anyway – it’s necessary for things like jacket lapels and some waistbands, but this piece really doesn’t need it.

Back to do some more work on Real and “Ris an Abrar”, then read the stories my crit partner sent over (that’s my reward for meeting today’s page quota), type another story to send to him, and finish the blouse.

Devon

4 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Lara said...

My MIL made my daugher's 8-year baptism dress, and I gave her a Vogue pattern I got from JoAnn's!

It was perfection. I'm surprised there was an error in your pattern--you wouldn't expect that from Vogue!

Glad you caught it.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

My mom used to make my clothes all the time growing up. I often thought I'd like to start quilting, but then I think of the limited time I already have and just forget about it. ;-)

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

I am a lousy seamstress. I failed sewing in Home Ec in school - couldn't even make a gym bag right. Can't draw a straight line either - probably a related problem, ya think?

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Enjoyed the article at "The Literary Athlete"; printed it out for my writing notebook; it made me feel better about my recent conniptions with A Lamentation of Swans. Thx, d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home