Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Cloudy


I hate dithering, and that’s what I’m doing. Trying to make decisions in several areas of my life. Decisions that need to be made, and I don’t want to make them. Even though they probably will lead to something better in the long run.

I’m trying to put off the short run.

Plus, because I’ve been writing so intensely, I feel much more fragile and exposed than usual – as though the skin is peeled off, exposing the nerves. This is the time I want someone to act as a buffer between me and the world. Do I need someone to do that? Or course not. But I still want it.

I’m dealing with the “Ris an Abrar” crisis. I don’t want to mess up the opportunity, but I also have to keep the integrity of the story. Or I mess up the opportunity worse than missing the deadline.

Revised “Not My Vote”, “Election Exaction”, “Needed”, “As the Sky Lightens” and “The Retriever.” “Not My Vote”, “Election Exaction” and “Needed” were submitted. “The Retriever” goes out Wednesday morning, latest, and “As the Sky Lightens” goes out October 1.

I’m reading Barbara Kingslover’s book of essays, Small Wonders, her response to 9/11. It’s a beautifully written book, but not an easy one. I can only read it in small spurts.

Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip is brilliant. It’s an anthem for any intelligent person who cares about art, responsibility, and the rights protected by the Constitution. If only there were those in power in television who genuinely believed in promoting intelligence the way these characters do! The cast is fantastic, the writing’s great – of course. They’re a little inhibited by form – it was just really getting rolling when they ran out of time for the first episode – but that will smooth out. In Bradley Whitford, Sorkin’s got the actor every writer dreams of – someone who perfectly understands the nuances of the work and takes it to the next level. You can tell which actors worked with Sorkin before – they can get all that dialogue in without losing their breath! And Matthew Perry was a delightful revelation. He’s damn good in the show. I did not like Friends at all – faking New York City doesn’t work, and those were six lucky actors with good writing. I am pleasantly surprised and impressed with Perry’s work here. Plus, they’ve got the backstage stuff right. And none of the characters are ciphers – even the characters you don’t want to like are understandable because they’re three dimensional. And you end up seeing their points of view, even if you still disagree. That is the sign of great writing. Not pushing propaganda, but creating a fully realize world and counting on the intelligence of the audience to draw their own conclusions.

Off to the theatre, a place I really can’t deal with today.

Devon

6 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I saw the reviews for this show and they had good things to say. Maybe I'll be able to catch it sometime.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

I'm the same. Need a buffer but would refuse one if it was offered.

:o)

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I recorded Studio 60 but haven't watched it yet.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Know the feeling - sometimes a temporary buffer would be great, but it would be hard to accept a permanent one.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Yes, there are times when one feels like a quivering bundle and wishes for someone alpha to keep it all at bay.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Anita said...

I am so sad that I missed Studio 60. I was really looking forward to it. I'll have to get my hands on a copy somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home