Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and cool

I wrote an essay on censorship in honor of Banned Books Week over on Circadian Poems.

Received a communiqué from a potential new market interested in my stories. Going over my material, I realized I don’t have any homeless story in the hopper that’s appropriate.

Guess I’ll have to write one. This week.

I can’t understand writers who, early in their careers, when presented with an opportunity, respond with, “I don’t have anything.” If you don’t have anything, create something. Don’t lose an opportunity!

Four pages on Real. They are finally off the race track. They’ve been to Hawaii. Now Callie’s on her way to Australia to shoot her next film, and Sam’s on his way back to LA to finish the film he’s in the midst of (and hates working on). Tough to get back into its groove, but nice to know I’m still working on it. The end is so close, yet so far.

Realized that I didn’t have to write 1000 more words to turn “Tumble” into the stand-alone Tumble – I only need 216. That’s not even a page. Yeah, I think I can figure that out. Of course, it was harder than I assumed (ahem, that’s why the first syllable is what it is), but I went over by a hundred words or so for safety’s sake, wrote a cover letter, a blurb, et al, sent it off and now we’ll see.

They immediately emailed me, asking me to resubmit with a synopsis. So I pounded out a synopsis, read it over a few times, tweaked it, and resent it. I couldn’t find anything in the original guidelines about wanting a synopsis, but hey . . .they asked for it, they got it by return mail, even though I had to make it up on the spot.

This was especially ironic, since the day was so much about avoiding writing the synopsis for Dixie Dust Rumors.

Found another group of stories I could fold into a longish piece (novelette?) for another market, so I’m doing that, too.

Chose a market for “Ris an Abrar” and decided to send “Blueberrying” to a market that’s a reach, but with a recent change of editor, worth a shot.

Started “Bones and Books”, the new short story for the specific market.

Received an apology from someone who I never thought would do so. Accepted it, and am willing to move on – though I’ll make sure not to put myself in a position again where I want another apology from this person! Better late than never, in this case.

Have an idea for a story that’s again, thoroughly out of my usual realm and would be a stretch. Could I enjoy writing it? I’m not sure. I need to play with the idea some more.

Did some research for Assumption of Right and will create very detailed notes and outline over the next five weeks so that, when Nano begins, I can fly with it.

Off to the theatre – just when I’ve hit a solid writing rhythm.

Devon


Real – 98,500 words out of an estimated 100,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
98 / 100
(98.0%)

4 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I wish I was a morning person and could get up and do as much as you do! Instead, I tend to hit my stride at night. Makes for a bleary-eyed morning.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Good going, Devon! Hope each "storybird" lands in its nest! d:)

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Siobhan said...

Excellent progress on your writing. Well done! I'm so slow, but I put it down to being a beginner. BTW I've posted a link to my son's blog about his travels if you're interested. I apologise for his spelling - clearly he needs a spell-check. Otherwise he write quite well and the photos of Japan are stunning. I'm looking forward to reading about his impressions of Cambodia and Vietnam and to seeing pics. I went to Cambodia before the Khmer Rouge came to power and it was fascinating. Would love to go to Vietnam. One day .....

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I think the problem with beginning writers not being able to come up with something on the hop is lack of experience and practice. Once you're seasoned and know you're in a groove, so to speak, it's much easier to come up with something very quickly.

Looks like the end of Real is in sight. Good luck with all of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home