Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Who knows? It’s still dark – it’s just after 4 in the morning!


What have you, personally, done to change the world (or, at least, your corner of it) since 9/11?

I’m not expecting responses or justifications in the comment section. I need to ask myself that question, too, reflect on the answers, and make some decisions based on them. I think it’s a question we each have to ask ourselves and work towards answers that may take the rest of our lives. We don’t have to market ourselves to the world as movers and shakers (those who talk loudest usually do the least), but we have to take quiet (or not-so-quiet) action in our own corner of it. We can be as moved or frightened or saddened or whatever from the events, but unless EACH of us takes action, nothing will change and it will only get worse. Saying you’re “too busy” or “don’t get involved with politics” doesn’t cut it any more.

It is each individual citizen’s responsibility to make sure nothing like this ever happens again. Part of that is voting for the person you believe will best support your views. Another part is riding that politician in office to make sure he or she keeps the promises that got him/her elected. Part of this is helping people view different individuals in the world in different lights, which is what artists do, and why, in every other country in the world, the pen is feared.

There’s no such thing anymore as “not having time”. And if you don’t care, well, then, you get the government you deserve. It is not “their” responsibility to do something – it is YOUR responsibility to MAKE it happen.

“Footsteps” by Adele Swift is up on Circadian Poems.

The next sensory exercise is up on The Scruffy Dog Review Blog.

Finished reading The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll. Interesting. I have to read the entire trilogy before I can comment effectively.

Wrote a story in my head walking from the theatre back to the train, and now I have to get it down on paper. Longish short story, based on one of the sensory exercises, set in London. It started as something light and fun, but wasn’t right, so I went back to the first image, the two main characters and the bartender in the pub, light coming through the window in the afternoon, and boom! There it was. A completely different story. And this one works.

I’m offline for a few days. Will catch up when I get back.

Devon

5 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I don't think I've done anything, other than the politics side of things (i.e. the voting and the trying to explain to non-voters why it's so important), but that's only what I would've done anyway. That's quite bad, really, because friends and colleagues of mine were directly affected by the London bombings last year. I probably look out for abandoned luggage and I don't get antsy when cops with dogs are crawling all over the place, and I stay totally patient at airports when there's yet another security check. But I don't think I'm doing anything consciously. Hmm. Food for thought.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

It is very easy to become jaded in America (or probably anywhere else, for that matter) over the whole political world. So much of it is based on money, on who you know, and on how much you can help yourself. To run for office, you have to have money - plain and simple. And to me, that is a SHAME. There are many, MANY qualified people who would be wonderful in office, but they can't afford to pay for the whole election campaign. Sad. I have a feeling George Washington and Thomas Jefferson wouldn't be pleased. Then again, both of them were very wealthy.

No political system is perfect, but as a democracy, you're right, Devon - we need to do more. That's something I need to think about, too.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Doing my Quits royalties to charity. Every little helps.

Have a safe trip. Hope you have a good time!

:o)

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

I haven't done anything either and feel very guilty over it. We have started to explain politics and voting and democracy to our children. We have tried (are trying) to establish a social conscience in our Daughter and Son. It just doen't seem like enough. We give money, but just don't see to have the time for other ways.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger j. lorraine said...

Devon,

Forgive the fact that this isn't really is response tp your post - I could not find another means of contacting you. At some point you came across one of my blogs and left a very thoughful comment in response to an epiphany I had and posted. It may well have been over a year ago, but somehow I didn't see it until today. I just wanted you to know that I really appreciated what you wrote to me, and that you took the time to both read and respond. Best wishes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home