Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and cool


Today’s Circadian Poem and a new Dog Blog exercise will be up in a few hours. Couldn’t post them, and I’m out of time right now.

I forgot to mention yesterday how terrific Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was, yet again. Not only do they get the chaos of backstage right, they portray the high emotions, and how you can have trouble with someone personally, but still have a professional affection for them and their work and still make the show work. It’s when you don’t have respect on any level that it all falls apart.

I tried to post comments on several blogs yesterday, and Blogger wouldn’t let me – my apologies. Cheers to everyone writing their fingers off.

Work was fine. My friend A. stopped by to return some books I lent him and lend me some books he thought I’d like. Which lessened the deep disappointment I felt when I dashed into a chain store on the way to work to pick up two highly regarded, recently released books by Backspace colleagues – and the store didn’t have ithem. When I asked the clerk about it (three times in three weeks of not having the books I want pisses me off), the clerk shrugged and said, “God, why do you care? It’s not like you can’t order it online.”

One of the many reasons I prefer INDEPENDENT book stores, where they actually give a rat’s ass.

Came home to find a great opportunity for a piece of mine to be included in an major anthology – but I have to come up with a pitch right away, and I need to do some more research. I have a bunch of ideas swirling in my head, but I want to spend a few hours with the source material to coalesce them a bit.

Great invitation for a PEN event in October – definitely going. Also got my membership card and the latest issue of the journal, whose theme this time is World Voices. I look forward to reading it over the next few weeks – I’m sure it’s something I’ll want to savor. Invitation to an event at the Blue Note – haven’t been there in ages. Invitation to a cocktail party early in November, and then an alumni whoo-ha the following week, which I should go to, although I have a sneaking suspicion I’ll be bored out of my skull. I’ll take a notepad and look like I’m taking diligent notes, when in reality, I can probably knock off a draft of another story. Yes, the fall social season is starting, and after nearly a year of doing very little between taking care of my mom after her accident and fighting the Evil Developers, I’m slowly venturing out again.

Playing with some other story ideas – we’ll see what happens. More planning on Assumption of Right – part of me is worried if I over plan, I won’t feel like writing; another part wants to stay connected to it every day until Nano starts so that I’m in its world when the starting gate opens.

Lots of writing and research to be done today, so I better hop to it.

I slept badly Monday night, finally dropping off around 3:30 AM. I’d set the alarm for 6:30 – I’ve been sleeping in until 8 AM lately and it screws up my whole day – but when the alarm rang, I swatted it silent. No way could I have even pretended to function on 3 hours of sleep. It’s the only thing I miss about being eighteen.

Devon

3 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

the clerk shrugged and said, “God, why do you care? It’s not like you can’t order it online.”

I can't help but wonder if the store manager is aware of this clerk's attitude? I wouldn't be very happy about it if he worked for me!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I've never been to a cocktail party or lots of social events with lots of mingling and business talk. Maybe someday...

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Good greif, why do they hire people to work in bookstores who've probably never opened one outside of school?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home