Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday, October 13, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and cold


I love Friday the 13th! It’s always a good luck day for me!

Especially since so many stupid, ignorant, fearful morons are going around expecting the sky to fall on their heads or stay home and OUT OF MY WAY!!! I have no patience with these religiously brainwashed idiots. They draw bad luck to themselves with their fear. When you’re afraid of something and wallow in that fear, you draw it towards you. When you face it down right away, you defeat it. The more you’re afraid of something, the more likely it is to happen.

Check out the special poems over on Circadian, in honor of the day!

I struggled with the writing yesterday. I’m trying to resolve a personal dilemma, and that thought time interferes with the writing time. It’s a non-writing dilemma and shouldn’t be a big deal – it’s breaking a pattern of unhealthy behaviour and making a better choice this time around. Intellectually, I know exactly what I have to do and why. It’s getting the rest of me there that’s the struggle. I’ll get there, because I’m determined not to repeat the past – it just might not be pretty!

Prep work on Assumption of Right. I’m getting psyched about Nano, although I have a sneaking suspicion that I still may not have as much time to hang out as I want.

My new camera arrived, which is very exciting. It’s a little more complicated than the other one, but I’ll figure it out. Reading the manual will probably help.

Worked on Token and Affections. It’s taking some interesting turns, and I’m just letting the story carry me at this point. I’m following the outline, but I’m letting the creative process do its thing.

It was hard to tear myself away just as I got into the rhythm of Token and Affections, but I did. I got on the train and went to the city.

I stopped in at Coliseum Books. The place was packed. And, even though they said the café would close a couple of weeks ago, they’re still serving. Perhaps they have a reprieve and aren’t really closing? Could it be?

I attended my first PEN event last night, a writers’ roundtable held at the New York Public Library, given by research librarian David Smith. He loves to help writers. He explained to us how we can utilize the collections in research for our own work and prepared packets of wonderful information. He is a writer’s dream, because of his wealth of knowledge – he’s been a research librarian there for 30 years – and the way he applies it. You know how once in awhile you meet someone who changes your life? This guy has changed mine – for the better. He took us through the writers’ rooms, told us about the programs for which we can apply, told us how to navigate the wealth of information – usually, that’s the most intimidating, there’s so much there, how do you know where to start? Well, now I do. This guy is getting a thank you note today, and I’m keeping in touch. We all discussed projects with him (and each other) -- turns out whaling/nautical is one of his interests, and he’s eager to help me with that project – so I guess it’s moving up in the queue!

I also met some other wonderful writers at various stages of their careers. They were all terrific! I can’t say enough good things about these people. There was much exchanging of cards and emails, and we’ll probably keep running into each other at events.

It was heaven!

Picked up the 7th Plum on the way home. Now I’m only missing one. And I read Hot Six and Seven Up yesterday. I’m over halfway through the books, and there are patterns. Some of them aren’t relevant to the essay, but I find them interesting. And I find them interesting in light of the column I just turned in for Lit Athlete as well.

Busy day today, since I have two shows tomorrow, and my head is full of the New York Public Library. Two more Story Kittens on the train in yesterday – scribbled in the little notebook at the way in – I think they’re for short stories.

I need twelve more hours in the day just for writing. Since I can’t have them, I have to make use of any twelve minutes I can squeeze in anywhere.

Devon



Token and Affections – 4,125 words out of est. 15,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
4 / 15
(26.7%)

6 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

It's so wonderful to be in the company of other writers. There's just an awesome energy to it. And finding a great research librarian is a blessing, indeed!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Shirley said...

Glad you had such a great time. I love being in the company of writers.

Enjoy the new camera. Yeah, looking at the manual might help. :o)

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger busy91 said...

Hey D, Glad to see you doing Nano again this year.

I was just cleaning up my buddy list on Nano to see who is here this year and who isn't. I see you still are, so there you will stay!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Lara said...

The first house Hubby and I ever bought, we closed on Friday the 13th. Of October, no less. So I've always considered the 13th a lucky day. It hasn't failed me yet!

Although at work today tons of things went wrong, and guess what everyone was blaming it on?
;-)

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger EJ said...

Yeah, fear is the primary enemy. Conquer it and you can conquer anything. Luck to ya. And thanks for the post.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Sya said...

You know, I didn't even realize that today was Friday the 13th until I saw the headline for some crazy article in MSN. I treat these kind of days like any other days. As for people who actually believe in this stuff and huddle at home, well, good riddance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home