Friday, October 06, 2006

Friday, October 6, 2006
Full Moon – Blood Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Cloudy and cold

“Whisper” by Danielle Frézier is up on Circadian.

Yesterday was less of a writing day and more of a treasure hunting day. I need all 12 Plum books to write this essay. However, right now, I can’t afford to spend the kind of money on the full set that getting them at full price entails. Much as I love supporting living authors while they can still enjoy the royalties, I can usually only do so one book at a time. Plus, I figure right now, Evanovich is doing well enough that she can afford to take the financial hit more than I can.

So I ran around to local thrift shops and library sale shelves to see how many I could find. I’d already bought 3 Plums at my hometown library’s sale shelves. And this is what else I came up with:

Plum Quest:
Port Chester Library: 1 Evanovich non-Plum
Greenwich Library: 3 Plums, 2 Evanovich non-Plums
Greenwich Thrift Shop: 1 non-relevant really cool book
Mamaroneck Library: nothing
Larchmont Library: nothing
Larchmont Thrift Shop: 1 Plum
White Plains Library: 1 Plum (and the court house next door had the fire alarm go off and everyone had to evacuate – before my friendly neighborhood firemen can tease me – I swear, I had nothing to do with it)
Harrison Library: nothing
Purchase Library: nothing
West Harrison Library: we got lost and never found it.

So I now have 8 out of 12 books. I’m missing 2, 3, 7, and 12, which I hope to get my hands on in the next week. The non-Plums are relevant for comparison/contrast. As soon as I fill in the missing Plums, I can start reading the whole set in order, taking notes relevant to the essay.

I’m going to empty one of my crates and put all the books and other materials I accumulate relevant to this project in one spot so nothing can wander.

I fell in love with the Greenwich Library – everything from their shelves and shelves of sale books and other books to the café to the readings rooms to . . .well, everything. I may have to go back there and do some work. They’re also very friendly.

I got a few pages done on Real – not as much as I wanted to, but at least something. I put in a “place holder” because I was stuck and wanted to keep going; however, I have to go back and do the scene, or I can’t build the scene in the next chapter. Grrr.

Today will be another non-writing day – errands in the city, then meeting a friend at the Frick, going to lunch, giving a tour at the show, etc., etc. Should be fun.

It’ll be good to give my brain a break, and will help me to focus this weekend. Especially since I’m doing the show Sunday, and therefore only have Saturday and Monday to write.

Devon

PS I made it to Staples.

Real – 105, 500 words out of est. 112,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
105 / 112
(93.8%)

3 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Dang, that's a lot of libraries! I bet it seemed like something out of the Amazing Race! But I bet you had fun. :-)

Happy writing this weekend!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Don't forget Evanovich wrote a special Plum Christmas story, Visions of Sugar Plums. It doesn't really fit in with the series, but it was written with Stephanie as lead character. Her website has the whole list, including her non-Plum books and her new Barnaby series.
www.evanovich.com

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I've never read the Stephanie Plum books. I tried reading one, but I couldn't get into it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home