Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday, October 16, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and cold

Today’s Circadian Poem: “Paralysis” by Emily Kline.

Nothing is ever simple, is it?

Came home from the trip to Trader Joe’s (having spent yet more money and NOT gotten the organic cat food because it’s “not available” and they don’t know for how long) to find a little tabby cat with a sparkly collar running around in the hallway. I figured it was my downstairs neighbor’s cat – only he wasn’t home. I thought it was too dangerous for her to wander the halls, so I took her in.

Elsa slept through the whole thing; the twins were horrified. Iris, the litter box MP, was especially upset that someone else had access to HER sand. The little one let me handle her. I set up extra food and water, and another litter box. There was some hissing and spitting, but no fighting. I don’t know what Iris, Violet, and the little tabby said to each other in feline, but I doubt it could be broadcast on network. Most of it would have to be bleeped.

We settled into an uneasy truce for the day – I kept to my routine as much as possible. If I don’t make a big deal, they won’t stress . . .too much. Everybody took a corner and was watchful, but kept out of trouble. Elsa looked at her a couple of times, puzzled, “Do I know you? I think I know you, but I can’t place you . . .” Elsa likes just about everyone, cat, dog, human, whatever. She’s ready to make friends with anyone coming through the door.

I didn’t dare lose myself in writing – I wasn’t sure how long the truce would hold up.

The tabby’s human came home late at night, found my note, and took his little darling back home. He was glad I’d found her, and surprised she let me handle her. Hey, she knows a soft touch when she meets one, and she did get roast chicken for dinner . . .

I finished my colleague’s manuscript, and now have to translate the chicken scrawl notes into something more legible and coherent, so it’s actually useful. I really liked it.

Finished Morrigan’s Cross. It’s so fascinating to read this trilogy, breaking it down for structure and craft, and the Plum books for the specific essay topics – an entirely different reading experience than when reading for pleasure. It’s not that I don’t enjoy reading these books – I do. But it’s an entirely different process. And it’s interesting to see how Roberts uses the parts of the craft she’s best at and applies it across genres.

So, although I didn’t get the writing done I wanted to, it still was a productive day. And I’m raring to go at the page today. I just may have figured out how to get past the obstacle in “Disappearing “ . . .

Devon

6 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

Roast chicken for dinner? Whoever said dogs have masters and cats have servants was right...
Hope you have a productive day!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

We have stray cats come into the neighborhood all the time. I joke with my husband that they are mostly our cat's "boyfriends." I've caught them eating her catfood on the front porch a few times.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

That's cute about the cats. Taffy is the litter box MP in my house. Levi has his own box, of course, but Taffy tries to lay claim to both, and looks on a bit annoyed when Levi uses his box.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Siobhan said...

Loved reading about the cats. Very sweet! My two don't mind sharing the litter box though Charlie tends to do his business outside (when he's allowed out). We leave the kitchen door open for him then with the risk that neighbourhood cats come in and help themselves from the catfood bowl. Sophie comes in from the garden to use the litter box. I think it's a "girl cat thing". She doesn't like to get mud on her paws. Well, you wouldn't would you?

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Glad to know I'm not the only 'soft touch' when it comes to kitties!

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I don't think I'd want to give such a gorgeous kitty back to its rightful owner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home