Monday, October 02, 2006

Monday, October 2, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Cloudy and cool



“Conversation with a Ghost“ by Brenda Braene on Circadian Poems.

Cover your ears (eyes?) for the next three paragraphs if you have delicate sensibilities:

Between Piece O’Shit Microsoft and Dickwad Verizon DSL, I lost an important proposal. I HATE THEM BOTH.

I screamed and I swore and I hit a whole combination of keys. I don’t know how I did it, but I found a copy of the proposal buried somewhere in the ether and managed to get it where it needed to go.

No thanks to Verizon (who only sent me auto responses with a list of crap on the site – if the answer was there, I would have USED it, asshole) and Microsoft, who’s never helpful unless they’re taking hundreds of dollars out of your bank account.

5 pages of Real. Sam and his roommates went to Vegas for the weekend, which was a total surprise to me. I’ve pushed the estimated word count back again for this draft. Callie’s still filming in Australia, with Crispin finding all sorts of reasons to hang around.

Worked on the next Literary Athlete column.

Prep work on Assumption of Right. If I can pull off what I’ve researched and outlined, it’s going to be an interesting, cool, and highly unusual novel. Basically, I’m writing what I’d like to read and haven’t found.

Submitted “As the Sky Lightens.” Revised and submitted “Mina’s Test.”

Typed Chapter 13 of Shallid.

Expanded anthology pitch polished and out.

Playing with some ideas that could be somewhat of a change of direction for me, writing-wise. It would work in tandem with what I’m already doing. Not sure if I’m just doing a few exercises, or if it’s something worth pursuing. Might not know for several months. If I could pull it off, it would be good, fairly steady money, and take that pressure off.

I think I’m ready to start typing Julia’s Legacy soon. It’s rested long enough and it’s time to take a look at it. Working on this play makes me miss working on Miss Saigon on Broadway all the more. I worked the show the last five years of its ten year run. It was such a creative, supportive environment. Everyone was doing a million creative projects, and we all ran around supporting each other. I could literally walk in, hand copies of the play out and we’d sit down and read. And I’d do the same for anyone else. Now, there’s much more planning involved. I even miss some of the people I didn’t like very much!

Read more of Dawn Powell’s diaries. I’m almost finished with them.

Tried three times to start The Thirteenth Tale but kept getting interrupted before I got through the first paragraph. Hopefully, I can sink into it this week.

Strand shipped a book ten days ago, and it’s not here yet. If it doesn’t arrive in the next day or two, I’ll have to let them know. It usually takes two days for a book to arrive. And I know this is a big one – the new biography on Malory, who wrote Le Morte d’Arthur, but still . . .

Latest bookstore delivery packet: DVDS of Brothers Grimm and Love, Actually and the books Antique Playing Cards: A Pictorial Treasury and The Glamour Factory: Inside Hollywood’s Big Studio System (background for Fix-It Girl).

I slept badly again last night. But, instead of then dozing off around six a.m., waking up at eight and losing my most productive part of the day, I got up at six thirty, had a good yoga session, am posting here, and now it’s back to the page. I’m going make my internet visits later in the morning, after I’ve knocked off some work. I need to adjust my schedule so I’m more productive and feel better.

Ink in My Kitchen
The turkey soup turned out very well. I have to write down what I put into it, in case I want to recreate it at some point. With each batch of stock, I’m trying different ingredients, to get variations on the theme.
Pork chops with mushroom gravy, rice, and broccoli for dinner.

I have a whole lot of writing to get done today – but first, to Staples because I’ve run out of paper (oh, horrors)!

Devon


Real - 101,333 words out of estimated 112,000 words
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
101 / 112
(90.2%)


Shallid – 32,410 words out of est. 82,000 words

As usual, fucking, FUCKING Microsoft is now telling me it "can't find" the Word Meter, even though it just gave me the code. Well, it can't be looking too hard.

There. Finally.

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
32 / 82
(39.0%)

5 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I think you get more done in a day than I do in a week!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I absolutely ADORE "Love, Actually." Adore it. I love British humor. (Humour.) :-)
I own Brother's Grimm, and I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, so I need to get to that!

I'm sorry about your Microsoft and Verizon problems. Yeah, they loooooove money, don't they?

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Siobhan said...

"Love, Actually" is a real feel-good film, er movie, and the sound track is fab. You have to watch it tongue in cheek as parts of it are a bit OTT. Am interested to hear what you think of "The Thirteenth Tale as I was planning on ordering it. Have just finished "The Abortionist's Daughter" which is a good, fast read. Hope your computer is behaving itself.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Ovation Leader said...

Dang, Devon. I thought I blew through the day like a scirocco. I do my best writing early in the morning also, love the stillness and quiet. Fall is my favorite time of year and I thrill to write when it rains. We had sprinkles last night and so was hoping for some rain today, but I forgot I'm back in SoCal. No rain, just more sunshine. Pooh.

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger Diane said...

And breathe ... ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home