Saturday, October 14, 2006

Saturday, October 14, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and cold


I thought it would help to write somewhere else for awhile, so I went to Greenwich Library yesterday. It’s a beautiful facility. Unfortunately, all the suburban wives living off their husbands’ money come there to gossip in full voice and it’s impossible to get work done.

I changed tables three times and I was ready to pelt them with my pocketbook. Shut up! Your lives are not interesting! (Not to me when I’m writing magical realism, anyway). Name drop and bitch about your husbands (who, by the way, pay for all that unnecessary crap for which you shop every day) downstairs in the café or outside, but not LEANING on a desk where I’m trying to WRITE!

And when I ask you, NICELY (because believe me, I wanted to perform an act of physical violence) not to lean on my papers or talk at my desk, two steps back and RAISING your voice is not helpful.

And the staff does nothing. Give me the days when librarians booted people out for being noisy.

One chickie whined to another about how her daughter kept getting rejected by colleges, even though her husband promised to make “a generous donation” to them. “Just because she doesn’t feel like studying, she shouldn’t be denied the college experience.”

Huh???

And we wonder why everything’s going to hell minus even the hand basket . . .

I managed to get some prep work done on Assumption of Right and 5 pages done on Token and Affections. Declan Bluesmoke, the Changeling in Token, is one of my favorite characters of all time. And he’s only been in one scene so far (but he’s in a lot of the outline)!

I’ve written myself into a corner with “Disappearing” (Sean thinks it’s funny; Elle is rather annoyed with me). I know where I need to get to from where I am and where the story needs to go from there, but I haven’t figured out this bridge bit yet. So I’m percolating on that, while I’ve outlined the next two Sean/Elle stories in my head.

Got a few more story kittens for short pieces, and one character just would not shut up from one of the previous day’s ideas, so I scribbled down a few pages of that. Working title is “Anomalous” and I’ve got about 7 pages done.

Haven’t worked on Real in a few days, and Sam’s wondering whether or not he’ll end up with a well-decorated house or if I’ll stick him with a disaster. Since I haven’t yet decided . . . I guess we’ll all find out when he returns from Australia and Berlin.

Found some books on the sale shelves in large print that my grandmother might like, so I bought them and I’m putting together a stack to take to Maine in November.

Yes, Brandy, to answer yesterday’s comment – Grandma Mazur’s use of the stun gun was pretty funny.

It was hard to pull myself out of the world of my stories, but a colleague me a manuscript to critique, so I began that, too. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. In fact, it was difficult to put down and get to sleep.

I’m going through some old material, seeing what can be salvaged – and suddenly, Fucking Microsoft has decided that a disk I’ve opened plenty of times “isn’t formatted.” So I’ve lost who-knows-what stories on it. I suspect it has the long version of the Josie Gold story I need – because the even older disk I have has a shorter version, without all the intricacies, and I AM ANGRY. I tried opening it in Notepad, thinking maybe I could trick it, but no such luck.

What else is new? When am I not angry at Microsoft?

I shouldn’t have to re-back up backed up material every few months. If I back it up, it should stay backed up so it’s there when I need it. I should only have to back up NEW material.

Off to the theatre for a two show day. Have to catch a 10 AM train and won’t be home until well after midnight. I have dinner plans with a friend, and I’m trying to get down to Coliseum to pick up another friend’s book (or I’ll have to order it online from someplace else (oh, horrors), so the only writing time for me this morning is what I can get done between shower time and train departure. Better get to it. Woke up with a migraine this morning, which is not conducive to a two-show day.

Devon


Token and Affections -- 5,375 words out of est. 15,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
5 / 15
(33.3%)


“Anomalous” – 1,750 words out of est. 7,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
1 / 7
(14.3%)

8 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Your problem with Disappearing is the same as I'm having with Lonestar Reunion, which is why I've backed off of it for a while.

I had a computer that went nutzoid crazy right before it crashed - it began renaming files with little symbols that are not recognized by word so I couldn't open anything. I lost everything when it crashed, so from that point on I print everything I write each time so I at least have a hard copy.

The noise is one of the reasons I don't go to a library to write - although mine is children. I always seem to pick field trip day or some such nonsense.

Now I have to go find Grandma and the stun gun.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Oh, Lord. Those chicks at the library would have made me homicidal!!!

*hugs* too on the Microsoft problems. I haven't regretted for an instant switching from a PC to a Mac, though I do use MS Office on the Mac. At least I don't have as many problems as I did with the PC version.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Ovation Leader said...

So yeah, Devon, when did the library become the country club?

I choked on the remark of the woman who wanted her daughter to have "the college experience" even though her daughter doesn't like to study. I wonder if said woman is pitching the US military to her son so he can have the making war experience.

I haven't seen you about Ovations this week, Devon. I'd love your voice in this conversation on forgiveness and peace.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Siobhan said...

Sounds like an experience you could include in a novel. LOL!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Good grief, and people wonder (actually it's probably just me) how our youth today seem rude and under-educated! With parent's like those setting an example, your description of Hell in a hanbbasket (or without it)seems quite appropriate!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Sya said...

I backup all my data every two weeks to a month. I know this is a pain, but that's the bane of current technology.

I hate it when people talk loudly at the library as well. This gets to the point where working at home is actually better.

And college kiddies having their parents pay their way? It gets worse when they actually get into a school--the parents start calling the profs to make excuses for their kids and to demand that they get A's in their classes...

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Ann said...

That conversation in the library cracked me up - unreal! I've seen kids wanting "the college experience" without studying (which usually becomes the "one semester college experience" - lol) but I've never heard of PARENTS with that perspective. Unreal.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I'd think the library is the last place the suburban wives would want to hang out. Weird.

I don't know how much stuff I've lost because the disks are no longer "formatted" with my computer. Drives me insane. I now have a jump drive, though, which I love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home