Saturday, October 21, 2006

Saturday, October 21, 2006
Dark Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and cold

So they’ve found more human remains on the Ground Zero site, as they’ve been preparing to build. Not bone fragments –arms and legs. And wallets. I can’t tell you how upsetting it is, first and foremost to families who lost people, and secondly, to everyone else around here who’s filled with disgust at the way the entire rebuilding is handled.

Yesterday was NOT a particularly productive day. I was tired and achy. I overslept, and got a late start. Oh, yeah, and there’s that guy I threw into a display stand at an office supply store.

You couldn’t have scripted it better. I was in a MOOD, on my way to the third of these chain office supply stores – I had to drive to a different frigging STATE to get something that should have been a ten minute round trip. And this guy in a business suit is just inside the doorway, babbling on his cell phone, flailing his arms. THREE TIMES, I asked him nicely to let me pass. And he ignored me. The fourth time I tried to just sidle past – and he hit me, full in the chest, with his flail. Hard enough to knock me off my feet.

So I threw him into a display case.

I have a big rule about no one hitting me.

He starts screaming he’s going to call the cops, I tell him to go ahead. And then this other guy turns up (big, handsome guy) and picks up Business Suit Boy by the scruff of his neck and tells him if the cops turn up, he’s going to testify that Business Suit Boy assaulted me. So BSB goes scuttling out there sideways like a crab, I thank Handsome Guy, and go get my stuff. He goes off to electronics land and gets his stuff.

Meanwhile, the staff’s trying to pretend nothing’s going on, but they’re giving me a wide berth. Not a good day to get on my bad side. I’d lost a half a writing day because the office supply store up the street can’t stock what they promise me they order.

HG materializes at the checkout and walks me to my car, because he thinks BSB is the type who’d lurk in the parking lot and try to start something. Personally, I think BSB crawled back to his cubicle and picked on his secretary, but whatever. HG’s parked next to me (a black Jaguar) and I tell him good thing he’s not driving a Lexus or I’d have lost all respect for him.

I start driving back to my own damn STATE, and I notice HG’s behind me. Two cars back, but come on, you think I’m not going to notice? So I pull into a restaurant parking lot. He pulls up beside me, and I say, “If you’re going to follow me, we might as well eat.” So we went out to lunch, had a good conversation, and parted ways. He runs a business further up in the state, and was down on a consulting job. He asked me for my number, and I said, “You’re just going to run the plate on my car and get it that way”. He says, “So you might as well give it to me, then” and I said, “No, you’re gonna have to earn it.”

I work with good looking actors all the time. I don’t need to fall all over a guy and give him my number just because he’s handsome. Plenty of women are giving him their numbers all the time. He’s the type, and he knows it.

Besides, I’m not available.

I came home and took some Advil. My shoulder hurt before I pitched BSB across the room, and I didn’t do it any favors with my little display of temper. And I have a bruise in the center of my chest. Only hurts when I breathe.

Plus, it did occur to me that BSB and HG could be working together on some sort of scam. So I’ll be doing a little research, instead of simply believing what HG told me over lunch.

Good thing I didn’t take the permanent slot on the show. If I’m this tired and crabby after a half a week, can you IMAGINE what I’d be like permanently? Talk about Bride of Godzilla!

It was an entertaining diversion after a frustrating morning. I don’t expect to hear from him, and I’ll use it as the opening scene for some piece of fiction some day.

Checking job boards, getting stuff organized for next week, doing business and admin stuff. The world of Token seems just out of reach today, although last night, before the show, I managed to do a rough outline of Chasing the Changeling, which is the sequel.

Meanwhile, I’ve reorganized some of the projects around here and I’ve got all the Plums in one box right by the desk now. Strand got the 12th Plum for me – I’ll be all set as soon as I read it. I’ve taken a bunch of notes, and I’m going to write out all sorts of examples and theories, then look at the patterns and draw conclusions, based on the patterns. 3-5,000 words is a good-sized essay and it has to have some meat to it.

I am having way too much fun on the Nano forums. Must. Cut. Back.

They said the rain would stop at noon and it would get sunny. I needed a rowboat to get across the street to the train station in the late afternoon, it was raining so hard.

Bet they’d be more accurate if they were only paid when they were right . ..

Show was fine. Monkey madness, but that’s par for the course. Damn those luggage clips! Last Christmas, the assistant supervisor gave us all tee shirts that read, “Yes, I really do dress flying monkeys for a living”. That says it all.

Finished A Play of Knaves and started Evanovich’s Metro Girl.

I am tired and sore. I feel run down and I absolutely cannot get sick right now. Way too much on my plate.

Off to the theatre for another 14 hour day.

Devon

3 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Wow. You really do lead an interesting life (and, yes, I know that's not always a good thing). *hugs*

I hope HG really was one of the Good Guys and it's not some kind of scam.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Ann said...

OMG. That is wild.
Good for u!

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I wish I could have been there to see that! I'm glad you pushed that inconsiderate jerk - he deserved it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home