Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sunday, October 1, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Rainy and mild


So the dumb bunny of the week award goes to . . .me!

Moved incorrectly yesterday morning and re-injured both the muscle coming down from the neck and across the shoulder and the muscle under the shoulder blade. I could actually feel them swelling. I injured them badly several years ago and constantly have trouble.

Why is this a “dumb” injury? Because, had I not let the yoga practice slide, I would have paid attention to the way I was moving and not hurt myself in the first place.

First off, reprioritize. I’d pushed back the errands due to the writing. Some of the errands will have to wait until next week. But the grocery shopping and gassing the car had to be done today. I got enough mobility back so I could turn my head and drive.

As far as writing, the expanded pitch and the work on Real are the two priorities, with the Dixie Dust outline and more prep work on Assumption of Right only if I feel up to it.

Baking bread will have to wait. No way can I do any kneading right now.

Went to Store A, got 9 bags’ worth of groceries, got it all home, upstairs, and put away. Went to the gas station – which has just been sold. Introduced myself to the new owner and his son (my family’s gone to that station for over 30 years). They seem very nice, and I’ll probably keep going there. Continued on to Store B for the organic cat food, organic vegetables, et al, and filled 4 bags. Got it home, upstairs, and put away. Realized I forgot the raisins, an important part of the Morrocan stew I planned to, so hiked up to a small nearby store for that.

Spent the rest of the day doing the 20-10-60 routine: 20 minutes ice, 10 minutes rest, 60 minutes work.

I think of myself as having a low threshold of pain. I’m not as bad as professional baseball players, where they get a hangnail and are out for six weeks. But I’m not on the other extreme, either, like hockey players, where the only way you can prevent a broken one from getting on the ice is to knock him unconscious fifteen minutes before the game. My orthopedist, however, sighs and tells me I’m allowed to call it pain before it makes me pass out. This re-injury is just not good. It means no set work for at least a week. I think I can get away with the day work on Tuesday, as long as I lift carefully. I’m pretty sure I can keep writing if I do 20-10-60 – got a bunch of ice packs in the freezer (hard to fit them between the groceries). Valerian at night to get the muscles to relax.


And yoga, yoga, yoga, to get back up to speed and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

In spite of the valerian, I did not sleep well and had odd dreams. Searching dreams, where you have to find something before a deadline. Not that I can remember for what I searched or why it was so important.

Put up the Halloween decorations up because I love them and Halloween’s only a month away! It looks like a Halloween truck threw up all over the apartment, and that’s the way I like it.

Will finish the expanded proposal today, do some more work on Real, and work on the outline.

20-10-60 all day.

Ink in My Kitchen:
Yesterday’s breakfast: scrambled eggs with dill on an English muffin spread with cream cheese
Yesterday’s lunch: Organic margharita pizza with whole wheat crust (didn’t make it; got it at Trader Joe’s and tossed it in the oven)
Yesterday’s dinner: Tangerine (as in Tangiers, not the fruit) Beef Stew over couscous with fresh peas.
I pulled out some home-made turkey stock from the freezer. I’m letting it defrost, then tossing it into the soup pot with carrots, leeks, parsnips, corn, herbs etc. for a nice soup on this rainy day. The celery was obscenely expensive this morning ($5 for four sticks of celery? I think not), so I’ll do without.


October GDRs:

Finish Real
Finish The Fix-It Girl
Finish Clear the Slot
Finish “Disappearing”
Finish “Books and Bones”
Continue prep for Assumption of Right
Finish DE site
Finish November Lit Athlete column
Get October newsletters out
4 Dog Blogs

October is the month of final harvest, so this is about finishing.

Devon

5 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

*gentle hugs* re the injury.

Good luck this month!!!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

So sorry to hear of the re-injury. Looked at your pictures and have to say, I love all your Halloween things. My kids would too! Try not to overdo TOO much.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Lara said...

YOu have the cutest halloween stuff. My stuff is coming in a truck tomorrow...and I'm putting it up!

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Siobhan said...

Hope the pain isn't too bad. We don't celebrate Halloween as much over here in that we don't decorate our homes like you do. Your Halloween things are great. :-) Recently British kids have started trick or treating influenced by American movies and TV no doubt. And we do put out jack o lanterns on All Hallows Eve. Then we have Guy Fawkes Night with bonfires plus fireworks for weeks before and after. It terrifies the cats. Strange to remember, remember the fifth of November for someone who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament. ;-) Take care and have a good week, Devon!

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

Hugs and sympathy re the injury. Hope it's not too painful.

I love your Halloween decorations. Brilliant!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home