Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sunday, October 8, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and mild

Allowed myself to mourn the cancellation of the series yesterday. Sure, there’s plenty of work, and exciting new opportunities on the horizon. But this was a great group of people, and I will miss them. Even though I wasn’t with them every day. No matter how rational one wants to be, how realistic about the business, it still hurts. It’s a loss.

Whizzed through the grocery stores, picking up necessities. Last week’s major shopping was through, but things like bread, milk, and eggs need replenishment. And the organic cat food.

Went to Salvation Army and found a 3-in-1 Plum, containing two of the four I’m missing. So now I only miss 7 &12; I’m going to start reading the first six this week, taking notes.

Bought a bag of Mocoun apples at the store and used some of them to make my favorite muffin recipe – Raw Apple Muffins, from Marion Cunningham’s The Breakfast Book. Usually, I use five different kinds of apple in it, but I tried just the Mocoun because they’re tart. I don’t use the walnuts in the recipe, because with the apple, cinnamon, and raisins, the walnut blunts the taste, in my opinion. Basically, these are hunks of chopped apple soaked in sugar and cinnamon held together with a bit of dough. Absolutely delicious.

Got a new broom (hey, Samhain’s approaching) – smells like apple and cinnamon. Will decorate it to hang over the inside of the front door for luck. Maybe my camera will be fixed in time to take some pictures of it.

Wrote an insert to replace the placeholder in Real. It feels like it’s getting back on track again. I’m going to have a huge, wordy mess when the first draft is finished, but hey, that’s the way it goes. That’s why it’s a first draft.

Just over two pages on “Disappearing”. I know where I have to end up, but I’m getting stuck in the logistics trying to get there.

6 ½ pages on Token and Affections. It’s brighter, funnier, and sexier than I hoped. If I can keep this tone, I think I’ll have hit something worthwhile. Both Elmira’s lover Faerin and her best friend Tillia (of the magic shoes and expanding suitcase) have turned out to be more multi-dimensional and interesting than I anticipated, without derailing the plot.

Prep work on Assumption of Right. If I can keep on track with it, Nano will go smoothly. Since November is starting to get more scheduled than I would like it to, in light of Nano, I have to be very prepared. And the novel has to thrill me, or I won’t be able to crank out 50K, and I’ll wonder why I didn’t pick Amadeus Doe, Finding Jake, or The Fight for Lilac Circle instead.

The dilemma is always, do I focus solely on a single project and do a big push, page-wise? Or do I make steady progress on more than one? I’ve opted for the latter lately. I write myself out on one project and then switch to another, with simple page or word goals for each day on each project. But I’m still tired. There’s simply a lot that needs to get done and a limited amount of time and energy to fit it all in. That’s why I have to keep asking myself, “How badly do I want this? Where does this project fit in to the bigger picture? What’s driving me to do this?” And make my decisions from there. And say no a lot to outside distractions. Sometimes you need to go and play – but the work has to get done.

There will never BE “time to write” – you have to make the decision to take it, wrestle it, create it, demand it. And you have to cut the unsupportive people out. You don’t want to surround yourself with “yes men”, but you do need people who not only support your work but RESPECT it. In order to get that respect, you have to respect your own work and the time you need to put into it and draw firm boundaries. If you can’t set boundaries and you can’t manage your time well, you’re not going to have a career. It doesn’t mean you won’t or can’t write, because of course you can. But it does mean it won’t be your vocation as well as your passion.

Some people are fine with that. More power to them. I am not.

Have to send my camera off to Canon to get the sensor replaced. I need it back FAST, so I hope it doesn’t take too long.

Off to the theatre today; I’m working the matinee on the Heavy Coat Track. Can’t wait to be back home.


Real – 106,500 words out of est. 112,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
106 / 112
(94.6%)


“Disappearing” – 2,875 words out of est. 7,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2 / 7
(28.6%)



Token and Affections – 1,625 words out of est. 15,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
1 / 15
(6.7%)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home