Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thursday, October 12, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Raining



Worked on the Literary Athlete column all morning. It grew into a many-headed hydra and I finally had to lop off a large portion of it to use in the January column. One of the topics that is, psychologically, difficult for me to deal with in endings, opened a Pandora’s Box and needs its own column. As it is, I wouldn’t be surprised if my editor needs me to cut it up some more. But I need her sense of distance and direction -- I’ve hit the point where I can’t look at it any more.

The positive thing is that I learned from the column tidbits that will help me with both Clear the Slot and Ransagh. I have to rethink major parts of both of them now. Set that in the percolator and let it cook for awhile.

Sent off the column and then got up the poem and the SDR blog. And then I was ready for a nap, but I hadn’t gotten any of the other stuff done that needed to get done, so no nap for me.

Visited with a friend for about twenty minutes – she has her high school reunion this weekend (30 years) and is excited. I went to my 10th back when it happened, and that was enough for me. I had a fine time, but I don’t need another one.

The two missing annuals arrived from Llewellyn. Now I can look at all my material and tote up the page count, and make sure my check is correct when it arrives at the end of the month. Bet you dollars to doughnuts it’s wrong. And I’ll take the box of doughnuts.

Suffering from a bit of the blues yesterday and today. I know the cause – and it’s something that’s intellectually stupid, but emotionally still causes upset, so I just have to damn well get over it and keep going. It’s not that big a deal, and I’m annoyed with myself for wasting the time and emotional energy on it.

Typed the chapter-by-chapter outline for Dixie Dust Rumors. Now I can get out the Red Machete and hone it. Once the CBC is done, I’ll synthesize that information for a synopsis, create that, and then I’ve got every possible variation on material necessary for the submission process. And that submission list is here on my desk . . .somewhere.

Got a rejection on a story from an editor who liked the writing a lot, but felt the piece wasn’t quite the right fit. She asked if I had something else more along the lines of specifics – I actually am in the process of adapting something along those lines, so I’ll work on it and get it out to her in the next few days. I want to take a look at the rejected piece – I think, with a bit more tweaking, it could be a novelette, and I’ve got just the place to send it.

And then, there was the plane crash into a building on the Upper East Side. My best friend from college lives a block away. Fortunately, it seems only that building suffered damage. Needless to say, everyone was jumpy. And now there’s all the discussion that Yankee pitcher Cory Lidle was in the plane. Whoever died, it’s sad. While I’m glad there’s no evidence of a terrorist attack – I’m still sad that people died. As usual, though NYPD and NYFD were amazing. The whole region is shaken. And hearing the Fighter planes scream past wasn’t exactly fun, either. I know it should make me feel safer, but it just reinforces that the stakes are high and they’re prepared when it’s something serious. I didn’t even know anything had happened – I heard the planes and thought, “What the . . .?” and I was on the computer when I saw a message from writer pal Jackie telling me about it. So I switched on the television, saw the flames coming out of the side of the building, and flashed back to 2001.

Read Four to Score and High Five. Interesting how one notices things, reading the whole series back to back, that one would let slide/not notice when only one book a year comes out.

Outlined yesterday’s Fiction Leopard. Found a few holes that need to be smoothed out.

I need to put in a productive day of writing, because I’m going in to the city for a really cool event tonight. Fill you in tomorrow . . .

Devon



PS Of course stupid idiot Blogspot is down this morning, so I can’t even post. I am so sick of them not working more than they work.

I posted an update on Wordish Wanderings in case people worried that I was somewhere in the vicinity yesterday. Wordish Wanderings is probably a good link to add to your list – since Blogger is so unreliable, I can usually post there (it’s an LJ account) when I can’t get up here, in addition to posts specifically written for that journal, which are . . .wordish wanderings.

But I can’t read any of your links until I can get back to Blogger. Sorry. Will catch up and comment tomorrow. Or whenever they deign to fix it.

4 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I thought about you when I heard about the plane crash yesterday - and I thought about every New Yorker who would immediately have flashbacks to 9-11. How scary.

That was encouraging to hear from the editor that she wanted to see more of your work - hope you can find a home for some of your stuff with her.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

I didn't know you live that close. I can imagine it must have been scary. Here it was just another news item and since they figured out it was no terrorist attack pretty soon, it got no extra coverage.

I have a LJ account, too, but use it almost solely for reading other LJs. I don't see a reason to pay for features Blogger offers for free, and their templates leave little room to play with.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Have to ask, even if it's off topic, did you not get a kick out of Grandma Mazur tazering Stepahnie's dad?

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I need to get this busy. Well, even partway to this busy would be good. I think I may have to use you for inspiration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home