Thursday, October 05, 2006

Thursday, October 5, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and cool


Short little piece about tomorrow’s Blood Moon on Kemmyrk.

I celebrated the contract by, well, signing the thing and returning it. I added a clause stating which name was to be used in the byline and all publicity and to which name the check was to be written – and that name was not to appear in ANY publicity. After my disheartening experience with one of my other publishers recently, I decided it was best to state it all clearly in the initial contract.

Went to the post office to mail contract, bill payments, submissions, etc.

Wrote a difficult letter (email) to a publisher with whom I may shortly cease to work. Kept the tone friendly and professional and laid out my concerns. We will see what happens. But, by the end of the letter, I had the beginnings of a migraine (not surprising). I got a quick response back – both an apology, and my editor made sure the mistakes were corrected in time for the winter catalog. I feel better.

Did some work on The Literary Athlete column. Sent out two more sets of questions – should have the answers in a couple of days. The information is great – as I read through everything, I see connections and possibilities. When I do these articles, I don’t start with the article and then try to find quotes for it. I start with the theme of the piece, form my questions, and create the article from the answers. This way, I let the material create the piece instead of specifically trying to force answers into pigeonholes. I think it makes for a more interesting article.

4 ½ pages on Real. Sam confronted the person who set him up, figured out a counterattack, bought a house, and has an audition for an intelligent film he really wants.

Just over 3 pages of “Disappearing”.

Finished outlining the first experimental piece, whose working title is Token and Affections. I estimate the final word count will be closer to 15K than 12K – the outline is three pages long.

Finished the first draft of the Chapter-by-Chapter outline for Dixie Dust Rumors. It’s too long and it sucks big time, but it gives me something from which to work. Now, I need to type it and then get out The Red Machete to hone it.

The show booked me for a bunch of days in October, including one full week two weeks’ down the line. That will be hard to balance – 8 shows, daywork, and the writing. I’ll have to make full use of train time. So I need to frontload as much of this month’s work as I can.

Prep work on Assumption of Right. Thanks, Gabriele, for telling me how to enter my title in the Nano Profile. See you over there?

The premiere of Lost sucked. Big time. Last season, I mentioned that there were three possible directions I could see as the real story behind the story. And that there was one I did NOT want them to take. So, of course, that’s the one they’ve taken. Just as I suspected from these producers, I feel cheated. Plus, the script was transparent, and that left the actors chewing scenery. Love the cast; have grown to hate the show.

The episode of the series I worked on was pretty good tonight. They have humor in unexpected places, which I like. And the characters are smart and don’t do the easy, clichéd thing. The piece fits together well. There’s one bit I’m worried about a few weeks down, something I so hope they won’t have reshot. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Still haven’t made it to Staples. I’m going to have to start loading toilet paper into the printer if I don’t get there today.

Devon

Real – 104,500 words out of est. 112,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
104 / 112
(92.9%)



“Disappearing” – 2,083 words out of est. 7,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2 / 7
(28.6%)

8 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

"toilet paper into the printer..."
~snork!~
Was there last week.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Lara said...

HA!!!! TP in the printer!!!!

Thanks for the great mental image!!

:-)

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Toilet paper....class!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

LOVE the toilet paper in the printer remark!!!

Hope your migraine wasn't too bad...

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Sue said...

I was disappointed with Lost too. I felt like they went with the 'least common denominator' storyline. =\

(grin) on the TP story though!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Shirley said...

Get to Staples! Toilet paper won't work. :o)

Sympathies re the migraine. Hateful things.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

You sound busy! I'm worn out just reading your post! HAHA!

Have a happy day, Devon.

:o)

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I hope you kept that migraine at bay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home