Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and pleasant

Never made it back to bed yesterday. Had an apple, and it perked me up. I think I’m having an allergic reaction to something I ate at the party.

In the past few years, I’ve developed a frightening allergy to shrimp, and I often have trouble with seafood from the Mid-Atlantic. I’m fine up in New England; I’m fine in New Orleans. But eating seafood around here makes me very, very sick. Hospitalization-time sick.

I had calamari at the party, never thinking twice about it (because I’ve never had trouble with calamari), but the sensations today are very similar to one of the milder reactions I’ve had from shrimp. I guess I have to be a little more careful. But I can’t ask everyone where they get their food and if it’s certified organic. I have to simply limit the types of food I eat when I go out. What a drag!

It’s a shame, because I love seafood, especially shrimp.

The apple, however, had an amazing restorative effect.

Pitched for two writing jobs. One is decent money; the other’s not much money; but they both sound like a lot of fun.

Took care of some admin work.

Worked on Lit Athlete – I’m at deadline, still missing info promised, and will just have to go without. A last bit came through this morning – so I’ll work it into the final revision. But the info I have creates an interesting piece. I thought of another question, but I don’t know if there’s time to contact one or two of the people and ask it and get it back in time to incorporate it. One of the things I enjoy about writing this column is how much I learn from each installment. I can talk about what works and doesn’t in my process and share what I’m learning from people with more experience than I have. I also decided to quickly interview someone else with slightly different questions – if I can turn around the material fast enough, I think it will offer some interesting insights to writers from a reader.

I broke down and ordered a second digital camera – Canon just sent me the paperwork so I can send out the broken one, and, career-wise, I can’t be without digital for more than a few days without taking a serious hit to my income. I costed out using disposables in the interim, and it was actually cheaper to buy another camera. So, I’ll have two and swap them back and forth as needed. Hopefully, one of them will always be working. And it’s another Canon, so it’s compatible with all my photo systems. I should have it later this week – maybe by then I’ll have the promised paperwork and will have sent off the broken one! I feel greedy and over-privileged doing this, but the truth of my profession right now is that I need digitized equipment ready at all times. It’s part of the modern kit.

It’s hard to pack up my camera, though, and send it off all by itself.

I’m putting aside a stack of books to put up on BookMooch. I have to keep a log, so I know what I’ve sent off and don’t start hunting for it at some point. Ooh, an excuse to play with Excel! ;) There are very few books I’m willing to give up, but the ones I do are entitled to a good home.

Speaking of good homes, a friend I spent some time with this past week has eleven cats and two dogs. Last night I dreamed about a house (hopefully mine) – but there were two large litters of little kittens dashing about, up and down the stairs, over desks and all of that. I’m not sure I can handle that many kittens (and later, the grown-up cats) – but it was fun in the dream.

Maybe the kittens represent story ideas that are running around inside my skull? Story Kittens that will grow up into Fiction Cats? Fiction Leopards?

Re-read One for the Money and read Two for the Dough, taking notes last night, for the essay. It’s interesting how differently I read when I’m searching for something particular, instead of just trying to lose myself in the story.

Off to the theatre.

Devon

7 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I can hardly imagine being "perked up" by an apple. I find cherries and bananas are better pick me ups (for me). And I'd hate to be allergic to seafood. I quite like it, especially shellfish. Poor you.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I Loooooove Shrimp. And I can't have it because A)Nausea and B)Pregnancy.
It stinks. No sushi or shellfish for me!

Our bodies do weird things to us as we grow older. For instance, I used to be able to eat walnuts, no problem. But in the last few years, I get an itchy throat whenever I eat them now. Crazy, huh? That may be what's happening to you with Shrimp.
And yes, it is not fun. Glad the apple perked you up.
:-)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Ooh, an excuse to play with Excel!

Hey, I do that, too! I use Excel way more often as a database than I do anything else. Keep track of my books, my videos & DVDs. Pretty much anything in list form. :)

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I love shrimp and so does hubby. I prefer it fried, but will take it in my Chinese and just for a snack.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Must be strange having to monitor every bite of food while you are out. Glad to hear the apple made you feel better.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Sya said...

That's really a bummer about the seafood. I would not be a happy camper if I couldn't eat shrimp any more.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

I know shrimp or prawns are bad for you if left out and not eaten from the refridgerator. If at a buffet, those prawns/shrimps have probably been left out for quite some time, the bacteria multiplying at a super-fast rate. I always avoid them at parties.

:o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home