Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Rainy and cool


So it begins, the difficult work week.

Yesterday wasn’t as productive, writing-wise, as I wished, but I learned a lot.

I finished reading/breaking down Dance of the Gods. Now, if I can only apply what I learned . . .

I attempted research on a topic on which there’s not much information on the internet. So I’ll have to employ other methods.

Wrote up and sent the comments on my colleague’s manuscript. I hope he finds them helpful.

I’m still stuck with “Disappearing”. Next week, I’ll drive past the location where I’m (my characters) am/are currently stuck, and maybe that’ll help unstick me. If I can’t get the logistics of this section right, the rest of it won’t make any sense, and the story won’t work.

I feel like I’m fragmenting, going in too many directions, so I need to focus and finish pieces. It’s difficult, because there are so many stories multiplying in my head right now. Another story kitten’s turned into a fiction leopard, and is out of control. It’s a cool idea, and appropriate to this turn of the wheel, but still . . .

My friend A. and I went to a PEN “Beyond the Margins” event. Mixed feelings about it. The writers were wonderful – I’m so excited to be exposed to some truly astonishing poets, and can’t wait to read more work in-depth. I found Richard Blanco’s work and his comments especially interesting, and he gave me a lot to think about.

Unfortunately, I found a certain level of fawning and posing at the event (NOT by the writers, I want to emphasize) that was a real turnoff. It was focused on a couple of people who should not have been the centerpiece of the evening – the evening should have been about the writers up there in front of us on the stage. A. and I grabbed a quick drink at the reception and skedaddled. I would have bought all the poets’ books right then and there, but the sales desk did not take Discover, and I was writing up until I dashed for the train, not trying to make a bank run – no Discover, no sale. Sorry, folks. Get it together. If you’re going to say you take “all credit cards” – then MEAN it.

Well, not every outing will be life-changing, but at least I was exposed to some new poets and it might have taken me a lot longer to find them otherwise.

Gearing up for a difficult week. Hope it won’t be too frustrating. I need to concentrate, writing wise, and steal whatever time I can. The Thief of Time isn’t just a book by Tony Hillerman – this week, it’s a way of life for me.

Devon

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Take this week one day at a time, and take time to breathe!

Hope it's not too hectic!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Take care of yourself this week, Devon. Even though it may be hectic, take time to do something just for you. :-)

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I don't know how on earth you do it. Be sure to take at least a little time off for fun stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home