Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tuesday, October 3, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Cloudy and cool (even though they swear it’ll be 80 today)



I deleted what I wrote about the most recent epidemic of school shootings because I think it will do more good and have more impact in the context of a story. I’m going to put it in one of the Sean/Elle stories. It’s most appropriate there..

4 pages on Real. Luke married Jillian on the spur of the moment, Cody ended up with a Vegas gal named Delicious, and Sam decided he needs to buy his own house and stop living with roommates. I should have them out of Vegas by today.

4 ½ pages of “Disappearing”, the next Sean/Elle story. This story gives Sean (and the reader) a bit of background on Elle’s past. Sean’s response surprises even himself.

Typed Chapter 14 of Shallid.

Worked on the Literary Athlete column. One writer’s sent back her answers; I have enough from an interview for the last article to use some material from another writer; a third writer just sent back some responses; an agent’s agreed to answer a second set of questions, and I’m waiting to hear back from an editor.

Played with what a cyber pal calls “plot bunnies” for some of the experimental work I’m considering. Trying to figure out which of the half dozen ideas is both the most unique and the most viable.

4 loads of laundry.

The Malory biography arrived yesterday afternoon. Good thing the mail arrives so late, or absolutely nothing would have gotten done once it arrived.

“Ris an Abrar” (short version) was rejected. The rejection was no big deal, except . . .first of all, I sent it out on the 27th of last month. Quick turnaround. Second of all, the note from the reader was rude and gender-biased. The (male) reader saw the words “sacred consort” and got squirrelly. I realize the piece pushes the envelope and deals with sacred consorts and positive sexuality, but come on . . .I truly didn’t expect this kind of gender bias. Especially since it’s not anti-male AT ALL. It has some terrific, strong, interesting men in it. I understand if it doesn’t fit in to the publication’s vision or is something the reader feel is unsuitable, in spite of my interpretation of the guidelines. Rejections is what it is. It’s part of the process. I’m going to track the response from male and female editors. The story got under his skin (which was a good thing). But I still think there was no reason to be rude and gender-biased in the rejection note. A simple “no” would suffice.

And it’s already off to another market.

It also indicates that the directional dilemma with which I’ve been wrestling may be on its way to getting resolved.

I have two strong contenders to publish the full-length version, so maybe that should move up in the queue a bit as far as writing. Actually, I seriously doubt I’ll be able to spend time on it until December – my plate’s pretty full.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was awesome, yet again, last night. So nice to have a show on for smart people about smart people instead of yet more crap.

Off to the theatre today with a head full of stories.

Devon


Real - 102,500 words out of est. 112,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
102 / 112
(91.1%)


“Disappearing” -- 1,125 words out of est. 7,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
1 / 7
(14.3%)


Shallid – 35,819 words out of est. 82,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
35 / 82
(42.7%)

8 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Diane said...

The shooting was another, nasty, horrid shock. Thoughts go to families and friends, as ever.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger EJ said...

Whew! I run short of breath just reading about how much you're writing. Wish I had half that much energy. *S*

EJ

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I think we're all reeling from all this tragedy this week. Hopefully there won't be any more. It almost strikes me as...bandwagon-ish...

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I am very interested to hear about the Literary Athlete column. Sounds fascinating!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I saw a blip about it on Yahoo but didn't see the news or read the news either. I just can't stand the thought of reading about more tragedy right now.

Sorry to hear about the rejection but at least you've already submitted it elsewhere. :)

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Sue said...

The shootings are just beyond belief. I thought the world was already crazy, but this is beyond words!

BTW, love the Halloween decorations!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Sorry to hear about the gender bias for "Ris an Abrar". But, I was glad to hear you've already sent it out again!
As for the shootings, so tragic and very disturbing.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Sorry "Ris an Abrar" was rejected for THAT reason; it sounds like a terrific story (I certainly like the "sacred consort" idea)--too bad that editor couldn't see beyond his blinders. Hope the next editor has better vision. d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home