Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Samhain
Partly sunny and warm


Happy Samhain, everyone!

May this be the start of a wonderful new cycle for you all!

I’ve got as many mentees as I can handle now for Nano, and tomorrow’s the big start. I am raring to go!

I can’t believe how freaked out I am to be without a printer. This is silly. There were plenty of days before printers. Get a grip!!!

I’m finally waking up early naturally again. Starting tomorrow, I’m going to set my alarm, because my Nano pages will be done first. Hopefully, I won’t need it too often.

Normally, I get up, do my yoga and meditation, shower, then post my blog entry, and start my writing day. For Nano, I’m getting up extra early. I’m making coffee. I’m doing my Nano pages. Then I’m doing my yoga, taking my shower, and starting my writing day.

I’m giving myself this week to read the rest of the Evanovich material, and then, next week, I have to start writing the essay. Two weeks to write; one to revise. It should work.

Getting the printer to the repair place in Yonkers was a nightmare. The guy, however, seems really nice, so I didn’t suffer too much anxiety leaving my “baby” there.

However, it took me two hours to reconfigure the wiring here at home so the DSL and the telephone could work. They are both routed through the printer (because there’s a fax machine in the printer) and there’s lots of running this cable here and through a router and then over here making a spiderweb and all that stuff. So everything was labeled before it was unplugged, but then I had to work via trial and error to see what had to go directly into the wall and what could be taken out completely. For awhile there, I had too many cables and not enough jacks, but I found out if I took out a couple of cables, I could piggyback the remaining ones and, somehow, it all runs again. So far.

Typical Mercury Retrograde.

After wrenching my knee and hurting a ligament in my foot from all the crawling around, I took one pill from a bottle of pain reliever I bought in Montreal (for a headache, a “mal a la tête” – it even sounds better in French, only then I forgot about it) – and, for the first time in months, I was completely without pain. Of course it’s much stronger than anything I could get over the counter here, and I only took one pill because I figured two would cure a horse, but it was nice to be pain-free for even a few hours.

Unfortunately, it also affected my ability to construct coherent sentences, which made writing . . .well, let’s just say it was a non-issue for most of the day.

So I’ll have to be in really bad shape to take another one of those pills again.

The Thirteenth Tale turned out to have some wonderful twists in it, and it was quite a beautifully written and satisfying novel.

Did a little work on Token and Affections, but I can feel my focus shifting to Nano already. It’s all-consuming and doesn’t even start until tomorrow! Also, I find myself slowing down on Token, taking an almost sensual pleasure in the physical act of writing in longhand – because I know what’s coming with the quantity over quality for the next month. Token is something where each chapter needs to ripen before it can be written. Although when I work regularly on it, I often do one chapter per day, it can’t be rushed.

In other words, NOT a Nano-type project.

I also realized that I’ve been so busy focusing on Morag and Simon, my protagonists for Assumption of Right, that I have no subplot. No B storyline. Well, I have a few hours. I’m sure I can come up with something. The weaving it in might be a little tough; but, if worse comes to worse, I can always sketch it out as addendum pages at the end of the first draft, and go back and layer them in for the second draft. I’d rather not work that way, but . . .

AND, I need to buy some new CDs. Morag is the type of woman who’ll listen to lots of Celtic music – Loreena Mackennitt, Capercaillie, Jim Sutherland, Iron Horse, Old Blind Dogs – maybe with some Melissa Etheridge thrown in. I’ve got all that. But Simon – he’s more of a Charlie Parker/Duke Ellington/Coltrane type guy. I have mostly jazz funk – I think I ought to pick up at least one Coltrane CD. Because, Goddess forbid I should understand how to download music and keep a playlist on my computer.

Since the chapters alternate points of view – odd chapters from Morag’s point of view, evens from Simon’s, even though it’s all in third person – I’ll play “their” music during their POV chapter

Actually, I tried to download music. But what’s the point of having a CD burner when it will only burn a single song on the CD and for every download it tells you to put in a blank CD? And it claims to have downloaded the music files into a “temporary file” – but won’t tell you where it is?

So I download a bunch of songs I want onto my hard drive – but if I don’t burn the entire CD at once – I can’t add songs as I wish. That’s ridiculous. The whole point of having a “rewritable” CD is to be able to add and subtract at will.

I should be able to pull whatever files I want, one by one, onto the CD. Not have to burn the entire thing at once.

Total bullshit.

I HATE FUCKING MICROSOFT!!!!!!!

On that happy note . . .

.

October GDR Evaluation:
Complete
:
Prep for Assumption of Right
Lit Athlete Column for November
4 Dog Blogs

In Process:
Real (it’s longer than I expected)
“Disappearing”
DE site

Postponed:
The Fix-It Girl
Revisions on Clear the Slot
“Books and Bones”
October Newsletter

Additional:
Typing Shallid
Worked on outline for Dixie Dust Rumors
Token and Affections

Untitled Preternatural
PEN events
Began Middle Marie
Worked on “Christmas Treats”
Revision requested for Tumble

Reading:
Diaries of Dawn Powell by Dawn Powell (unfinished). Excellent.
Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich. Cute.
Agatha: A Novel of Mystery by Kathleen Tynan. Good.
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. Very good.
Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich. Very good.
Three to Get Ready by Janet Evanovich. Very good.
How Nancy Drew Saved My Life by Lauren Baratz-Logsted. Very good.
Four to Score by Janet Evanovich. Good.
High Five by Janet Evanovich. Good.
Hot Six by Janet Evanovich. Very Good.
Seven Up by Janet Evanovich. Good.
Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (unfinished). Excellent.
Morrigan’s Cross by Nora Roberts. Good.
Dance of the Gods by Nora Roberts. Good.
Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich. Very Good.
To the Nines by Janet Evanovich. Very Good.
Ten Big Ones by Janet Evanovich. Very good.
A Play of Knaves by Margaret Frazer. Good.
Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich. Very Good.
Strange Affair by Peter Robinson. Very good, but the copy editing errors were distracting.
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Very good.

The Evanovich and Roberts books were in connection with paid projects – amazing how much I can read when there’s $$ involved! And how differently I read when I’m breaking down for structure instead of trying to completely lose myself in a book.

It’s weird – I felt I did so much this month, and looking back . . .I didn’t.

Off to the theatre.

Devon

Token and Affections – 13,000 words out of est. 15,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
13 / 15
(86.7%)

5 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Re your message on my blog: I see what you mean by sub-plot attacks prior to NaNo! Is it possible to go into creative overdive??

And yes, I should have believed you about Lennox. Not that I never - I just couldn't see it till I sat down with him. ;-)

Love the idea of using different pieces of music when writing about certain characters. I'm going away to think about this now.

Have an awesome day!

Col

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Of COURSE you did a lot of stuff! Wow, I always wonder how you manage to do so much. :-)

My cable internet wasn't working last night and boy, was I frustrated.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

Lol, my Nano is now the mess I'm used to. I can't write novels that do not have half a dozen subplots and a cast of thousand. Took some time this year for those subplots to come out of hiding.

Now I can't see how to so the thing in less than 120K, but that's another matter. :)

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Oh yes you did! I'm amazed at how much you accomplish during the course of a month. So take that hand off your brow and pat yourself on the back! d:)

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Sounds like you're all set for Nano! Good luck. Oh, and Happy Halloween!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home