Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Wednesday, October 4, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Cloudy and sticky



“Goodbye, Ghost”, the companion poem to “Conversation with a Ghost” by Brenda Braene, is up on Circadian.

The wrap-up of the sensory exercises is up on The Scruffy Dog Review Blog.

Yesterday’s writing:

3 1/2 pages on Real. Sam learned who set him up in Vegas.

Only a page on “Disappearing.”

A little bit of work on the outline for Dixie Dust Rumors.

I outlined one of the experimental pieces – the most viable, to see if this experiment works. It should run between 12 and 15K and be a fairly quick to write, edit, and submit. If it lands where and how it should, it’ll be a lucrative direction to expand into.

It was difficult to put down the Malory biography, but it’s way too big a book to haul to and from the city along with my wardrobe bag and everything else.

I feel like an idiot – I was able to update my Nano profile – except I can’t figure out where I’m supposed to register the title and genre of this year’s book.

Work was fine. Caught up on what was going on with some of the people on the show. I had a shirt that would NOT press out – four times on the ironing board and every time I took it off, it STILL looked like someone had crumpled it into a ball. That shirt’s usually quite cooperative, so I don’t know what its problem was today. Very annoying. And the work irritated the shoulder/back injury, which meant I had to modify my yoga practice this morning – some of the poses couldn’t be done because it put too much pressure on the injury. I’ll have to do some passive traction with the rubber exercise balls later on to see if I can get it to release.

After work, a freelance writer friend from Virginia, her husband, and a friend of theirs met me at the show. I gave them the backstage tour – I love to do that, because we have lots of cool stuff in the show, and one stops “seeing” it when one is there regularly. But, seeing it through their eyes made me appreciate it all over again. We had a drink at Vinyl (Snug and Vintage weren’t serving yet – since when do bars in New York take afternoon breaks – getting way to mainstream in this town). But Vinyl was happy to serve, because they’re a cool and friendly place. Then we wandered over to the East Side, to one of my favorite bars, an authentic Scottish pub called St. Andrews, for some heather ale and single malt. My favorite Scots bartender Bruce no longer works there (well, he’d been there for five years or more). Our waiter was wearing a kilt, but was American. He was very nice, but I missed Bruce.

The four of us had a great time, talking about everything under the sun. It’s always nice to meet someone with whom you converse frequently online and discover they’re even better in person. And she’s pretty great online!

So, it was a great evening out.

Sad News: Coliseum Books is closing. They were one of my favorite bookshops, and a safe haven for years. And they’ll be gone before Christmas. The place is always packed, the café is buzzing, I know I spent a hell of a lot of money there, so it’s even more upsetting. It’s not like no one was ever in there. Usually it had far more traffic than the B&N up the street.

And, I got home to excellent news – the pitch I wrote and expanded, based on the four books in 24 hours I read last week for the anthology – I’m hired! I’m about to sign the contract and put it in the mail. So I can share that I’ve been contracted to write an essay for the anthology on Stephanie Plum, Janet Evanovich’s character, to be published in the BenBells SmartPop series. Woo-hoo! I wanted this gig badly.

So now, I have to round up the 8 other Plum books, read them all, and get to work!

Devon


Real – 103,375 words out of est. 112,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
103 / 112
(92.0%)




“Disappearing” -- 1,375 words out of est. 7,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
1 / 7
(14.3%)

9 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Well congratulations, ma'am. Looks like the horoscope was spot on. Now it's my turn ...

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Congrats on the contract! Great news!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I hope that I get to meet a lot of my blogging buddies "in the flesh" someday.

Wow! Great news on the contract! Keep us updated!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Congrats on the essay contract!!!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Congratulations on getting the Plum (!) contract. d:))

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

The novel page is on MyNano, not the profile. I had to look around, too. :)

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Tenille said...

Awesome news, Devon. What a great opportunity... and well deserved!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Wonderful news!!! Congrats on the contract. I'm so happy for you! :)

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Brandy said...

Wonderful news about the contract! About the Plum books....I've heard that 10 wasn't as liked as the others and that 12 was one of the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home