Friday, November 03, 2006

Friday, November 3, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Sunny and cold


Hope you found yesterday’s post on Mercury Retrograde over on Kemmyrk helpful.

Worked on Assumption of Right this morning, completing Chapter 3. The internal editor was pounding on the door, and I did my best to ignore her. The plot and character development are good and important – the execution’s a mess. Good thing Nano’s about quantity, because the second draft will have to have the quality check on it. 3501 words today, meaning I am one-fifth done with the Nano goal. Front-loading, again, because the weekend will be tough.

And because Token and Affections is pulling me so hard.

I have to sit down and order the holiday cards this weekend. I decided that I’m going to order the bulk of them this year from the National Wildlife Federation. The cards are pretty, the prices compare to what I’d pay elsewhere, and I’d rather the money go to them than to a big chain store. I don’t think they’ll be here in time for the overseas cards to go out (they need to go out the weekend after Thanksgiving), but we’ll see.

I did a few of my own designs, but I’m too early in my learning process for them to be good enough to send out. I’m fussy about holiday cards. I am working on designs for an e-card to send to the cyber-friends whose addresses I don’t know. But my snail mail list got a big boost this year, with the networking I’ve done, and I’m a big believer in sending holiday cards. I don’t believe there’s no time. I believe making the time is a sign of respect and appreciation for the people in your life.

I’ll work on my list this weekend, and figure out the cards, the postcards, the e-cards, etc. I should just have a master list in Excel at this point (now that I have Excel) and then just update every year, instead of starting from scratch with a handwritten list. I could print out a copy for my holiday binder, for the day when the computer crashes. Again.

But I think better with pen and paper.

I’ve got my gift list almost figured out. The gifts that go up to Maine have to be shopped in the next couple of weeks, because I’m going to wrap them and take them up in person at Thanksgiving. And the gifts and cards going overseas go out the following weekend.

So I better get “Christmas Treats” finished and in the design process by next week. I’d like to start the first printing before Thanksgiving.

For the mail order stuff, I order from a group of places that have good quality, unique stuff and who’ve proven reliable over the years. I do my part about getting my orders in on time, and they do theirs in getting them there without screwing up.

I can’t shop too far in advance, because I have no self-control, and if I buy a present for someone, I want to give it to that person RIGHT NOW.

Yes, part of me is still five and always will be.

They were lovely at the bookstore – my mom got the rest of the books in the series. They didn’t have a replacement for the defective book, but I’m going to hunt it down in person – I want to make sure that whole print run isn’t defective.

Samhain decorations came down; Days of the Dead will stay up until the 5th. I found some of my Thanksgiving decorations, but there’s a whole box of them that I just can’t find. It’s very frustrating. I found them in July and put them in a place I thought would be easy to uncover at the appropriate time.

I need a bigger living space. I’m tired of everything being stacked and having to move every object three times to get at anything.

A little bit of work on Token and Affections. This is the complicated bit, so I’m slowing down a bit. Since I don’t have to push through on a daily word count, I can contrast what I’m doing with Nano by working on this a more leisurely pace and considering every scene more as I write it.

Drinks at the Algonquin was fun. Didn’t meet anyone I already knew from the board, but met a whole bunch of new people, who are nice, fun people and their projects sound interesting. I hope we can continue the conversations we started.

Georgie was there, too – someone who’s an in-person friend as well as a cyber-friend, and we did a lot of catching up. Good times.

Read Valley of Silence on the train home. From a reader’s point of view, I would have liked the trilogy condensed into one bigger, thick book rather than three short ones. There are entire sections I would have cut from all parts of the trilogy (if I was the editor). From a sales point of view, I see why they did it. Again, I learned a lot by breaking it down for structure.

My Nano pages are done for the day, but there’s still a lot of other writing to do before I leave for the theatre.

Devon


Assumption of Right – 10.090 words out of 50,000 words (Nano goal)


Assumption of Right – 10, 090 words out of 85,000 words (completion goal)


Token and Affections 16,000 words out of est. 25,000 words


Note: On Zokutu, I'm getting the message "Account has been suspended", so I'm not sure what's going on. I can't update the tool bars -- so just the word counts are listed. I didn't realize how much I'd come to depend on them for gratification.

4 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Anita said...

I'm the same way about gifts. I discovered last weekend that I get it from my mother, who bought me a birthday gift on Sunday and just couldn't wait until the 18th to give it to me!

It sounds like we are both having quality issues with our NaNo pieces. But as I said on my post yesterday, that's the beauty of rewriting and editing, right?! Your word count is amazing. I'm in awe of your progress and it's inspiring to me. I'm unofficially trying to keep up with you (currently failing miserably, though!)

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Lots of people are having trouble with the toolbars, according to my bloghopping today.

Y'know what bothers me? People not sending out Christmas cards. I love sending them out, but I get less and less every year. Not sure why, either.

One year I made all my Christmas cards with my rubber stamps - they had a Snoopy theme and each one was different than the last. Had a blast, but my head let me know it was NOT happy with all that scrunching over the desk that I did.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Lara said...

How fun you and Georgie got to talk "in person!"
Have a great weekend, and happy writing!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

I'm ordering my cards from the Humane Society this year. We're known for out "cat cards" in our family.
You always sound so organized. As much as I try, I never get everything together, except at Christmas. You're doing great at keeping up with your Nano writing! (of course!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home