Monday, November 13, 2006

Monday, November 13, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Rainy and cooler


It was supposed to be so easy. But then again, during Mercury Retrograde, nothing is easy.

I went to my friend’s house to do laundry. That was it – three loads of laundry, I’d cook dinner, get home reasonably early, etc., etc., maybe get some other writing done.

Ha!

The dryer’s not working properly. It took six hours to get everything dry.

So it was dark when I headed back.

I decide, since it’s rainy and icky, I don’t want to take the main road, I’ll take the back roads through Greenwich, it’ll be faster. I turn onto the back roads, I’ve got the radio on, and I get this feeling . . .

I check the rearview. There’s a car pretty close on my tail. I can’t see what sort of car, but there’s a lot of road, not a lot of traffic, and he’s close.

And he flashes his lights.

I speed up.

He speeds up.

I slow down.

He slows down.

I go around the roundabout near the hospital – all the way around – twice – he’s right there. Still can’t get a fix on the make of the car because of the way light is glaring in the rain, but I don’t like it.

I turn down some side streets, figuring it’s some kid making trouble, and I can lose him.

Only he sticks with me.

I don’t like this very much, so I do what I do when I’m scared.

I make like a feral cat and I get aggressive.

I speed up, heading for a particular section in Port Chester where I know I can sweep around. I make the turn.

I go straight for him, head-on.

And I accelerate.

Remember, I was the class-A Chicken player in high school. I don’t flinch. Especially not when I’m angry.

I almost lost this time, but he jerked his steering wheel at the last minute and ran into someone’s yard.

And as I pass the car, I realize it’s a black Jaguar. I know someone with a black Jaguar. HG.

I turn back, and there he is, getting out of the car. And we get into a shouting match on some poor old lady’s front lawn in the rain, with me saying how dare he follow me and scare me half to death, and him saying he was worried about me getting home in the bad weather, and me saying how the hell was I supposed to know who it was? All I know is there’s a car riding a little too close on my tail for me to be comfortable, flashing lights at me. And he’s going, “well, if you’d answer your phone . . .” Hey, not only did I forget my phone was off, I don’t talk on the phone in the car!! It’s against the law and I don’t do hands-free. And then he’s insulted because I knew someone was following me, saying if he didn’t want me to know he was following me I’d never know. Yeah, right. We’ve been over that one before. We worked it out, eventually. He felt bad that he’d scared me, and I almost felt bad that I ran him off the road. Truce.

And all the laundry fell out of its bags and was scattered all over the trunk.

Damn this Mercury Retrograde!

And I’m going to have to be especially vigilant, because I bet you anything he’ll feel the need to heal his wounded pride by trying to prove the point about following me without me knowing it. And I don’t like being followed. I’m not important enough to be tracked by anyone. And I like it that way.

Jeez.

Read two Evanoviches while the laundry was in the dryer: Full Bloom (with Charlotte Hughes) and Manhunt. Both add perspective to the essay. The essay, in general, is still too unfocused, but reading the range of her work is helpful.

Another Nano-er asked to be added to the Adoptee list for the daily suggestions, so I said sure. Her book sounds interesting – I’m lucky – all of my adoptees are writing stuff I’d read.

Played with some ideas for the Untitled Whatever. I get the feeling there will be some dark humor in it as well as the mystery/suspense elements. I’m starting to grow fond of calling it “Untitled Whatever” and will miss the reference when I discover it’s title.

As for Assumption – right now, it’s back to being genre-less. Ultimately, I think it will be part of the cycle of the two Fix-It Girl books and Real, which I’m loosely calling “The Hollywood Novels”, even though Assumption takes place on Broadway. But they all deal with behind-the-scenes.

This morning, I finished Chapter 10 on Assumption. I was tempted to start Chapter 11 – which brings us into the B-line, which is linked to the A-line story in an interesting (I hope) way, but since I hit 2500, I decided to stop.

The pace of 2500 words/day is a bit too intense for me. It’s interesting, because I can do it spread out over a variety of projects more easily than just one.

The dilemma becomes do I line up the projects in a row, push hard and knock ‘em out one at a time, or do I work at a slower pace on each project, spread out over multiple projects?

The answer has to be mutable, depending on deadlines and projects, but at least I know the question exists.

Rachelle Arlin Credo’s cycle of poems continues on Circadian, once I can get it up.

I’m getting ready to go to sleep last night, and I hear thumping in the kitchen. I go in the kitchen – somehow, Elsa has managed to get her paws on the yarn I thought I’d secured away from prying claws – and made macramé around the kitchen chairs and table again.

She’s very proud of her Art Project, and I was too darned tired to clean it all up.

All I wanted was a quiet Sunday . . .


Devon

Assumption of Right – 34,066 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
34 / 50
(68.0%)


Assumption of Right – 34,066 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
34 / 85
(40.0%)

5 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Colin said...

You know, I got quite worried reading that post; you being followed in your car etc.

I probably shouldn't have (probably shouldn't own up either), but I bust a gut laughing when I read what happened.

Glad it was all innocent though. :-)

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

It didn't dawn on him that his following you like that might worry and scare you? My goodness...the road to hell is paved...d:

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Goodness how scary! I'm glad it wasn't some lunatic. You never know with people these days...

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

You handled that situation with a lot more bravery than I would have!!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I laughed when I read how the car-following story ended up - and I laughed partly in relief and partly in hilarity because, well, DAMN, Devon, you don't take nothin' off noone! (I'm still glad you're safe, though).

BTW - dryers not working properly is a BIG pain in the tush. Hate it when ours has problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home