Monday, November 20, 2006

Monday, November 20, 2006
New Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus DIRECT
Cloudy and cool


Can anyone tell me when Neptune is going to turn direct? I can’t find it on any of my calendars, and it’s bugging me!!!

If I could maintain the Nano pace, I could finish the first draft of Assumption in 14 days. If I drop back to 1500 words/day, I can finish in 23 days.

But I have to keep going, every day except the days I’ll be in Maine.

And if I try to maintain Nano pace, I’ll shatter.

I hate everything I’ve done thus far on the Plum essay (due Dec. 1) and am tossing it all out and starting over. Non-fiction is so much more difficult for me than fiction.

Yesterday was all over the place – grocery shopping and newspapers in Port Chester, getting the rest of the Maine-bound gifts in White Plains, cat food shopping in Larchmont – there went the bulk of the day.

Messing in the kitchen with a new recipe. Now, I have three full shelves of cookbooks (here – I have six boxes of cookbooks in storage, including two potato-centric cookbooks). How come NONE of the ones here have a basic potato au gratin recipe? I finally pulled bits and pieces of three different ones, and made some adjustments of my own – mainly adding in a mixture of salt, pepper, rosemary, sage, thyme and paprika with the final handfuls of cheese over the top for the last thirty minutes. Pretty darned good. Unfortunately, I wanted to balance the seasoning of the chicken, so I used sage. Unfortunately, using sage in both flattened out the taste of the chicken. I probably should have used a lemon pepper or some sort of citrus zest.

Oh, well, I’ll know for next time.

The clothes are packed for Maine, and I’ll pack the writing bag today. Assumption, the Plum essay, the “Merry” and Token and Affections are all going up, and we’ll see what I actually get to work on. And I have to pick a few books, too, or I’ll go nuts.

Hard to get started on Assumption today. Now that I’ve met the Nano goal, I want to take time off, and I can’t do that until I reach MY goal. However, once I get past the first half page, it gets going again. An interesting plot twist occurred which I didn’t see coming. It works, ratchets up the tension now, in preparation for the next big event, and sets up some more possible threatening theories. The target is not the person everyone assumes, and I want to set the red herrings up well so that when the actual target is hit, it’s more of a shock. 3037 words today.

I needed some fun, relaxing, no brain reading, so I started This Must Be the Place: Memoirs of Montparnasse by Jimmie Charters as told to Morrill Cody, and it is fun. Kind of difficult to have a rollicking memoir when you’re keeping the confidences given you over the years, but Charters does a pretty good job.

I need to pack a lot in to just a few hours. I’m at the theatre tomorrow and then it’s on the road.

Devon

Assumption of Right – 54,415 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meter
54 / 50
(108.0%)


Assumption of Right -- 54,415 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
54 / 85
(63.5%)

5 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Lara said...

All my cookbooks are in a box downstairs...I'm feeling it! I need my cookbooks!
(I folded and pulled out my three favorites the other day!)
;-)

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

Yay for plot twists. And turns, and loops and somersaults. :)

Lol, I only have three cookbooks, which I never open, but I can come up with a whole bunch of potato gratin receipes.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Okay, sometimes simple is best and the Joy of Cooking cookbook has a great Au Gratin recipe. As for your trip, rest. Sounds like you need it.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Siobhan said...

My DH collects cookbooks, but he only cooks once in a blue moon. *vbg* Potato gratin. Yum!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Have fun in Maine, Devon. That sounds like a wonderful time.

I don't have many cookbooks, mainly because I don't cook. I sometimes wish I had time to do it, but in my life, hubby is the cook and that's fine with me. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home