Monday, November 06, 2006

Monday, November 6, 2006
Last Day of Full Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Sunny and cold


What would you do if you only had two weeks left to live?

We received devastating news at the show yesterday, that one of our colleagues has liver cancer and has been given two weeks. He’s a lovely, sweet, calm, funny man and this shouldn’t be happening to him.

We asked each other what we would do, and pretty much all of us wanted to be surrounded by people we love. So that’s what we’ll do for him – make sure he knows he’s loved.

It’s heartbreaking.

Show was okay yesterday, although quite somber once the news got out. I was glad to get home. Just felt numb and drained.

Finished Twelve Sharp and read Full Scoop.

There were a couple of things that bothered me when I broke down the Circle trilogy I read over the past few weeks, looking at structure, story, plot, etc. One was the framing device – one character is telling the story to his grandchildren. So why would he tell small children a story with explicit sex? That didn’t ring true to me. Along those same lines, within the narrative, although it’s in third person, there are sections that jump to the antagonists’ camp and are told from within that point of view. But, again, working within the exterior framework of the character telling the story, it’s not logical. My disbelief refused to be suspended within that framework.

Forced myself to work on the Nano pages this morning when all I wanted to do was lie in bed and grieve. I should have written the post-Breeders’ Cup article last night, but I didn’t have the heart.

Got another story idea yesterday from a fragment of conversation with some crew members and an actress. I won’t go into the details, but the gist of it was that it was b.s., in my opinion, a ridiculous gender generalization that shows said crew member has lousy taste in women.

But it gave me a story idea. I need to make a few notes to see if it’s worth pursuing or if it’s one of those things that seems like fun at the time, but falls flat.

We’re doing a cycle of poems by Rachelle Arlin Credo on Circadian over the next few weeks. Check it out.

Assumption was a little difficult today, because it was hard to get out of bed. I’m physically and emotionally exhausted, and dealing with the bad news.

But, for one month of my life, I can push myself. Already, I notice people in Nano are making excuses about the pace. Yeah, the pace is insane. And, for a single month, it’s good to push that hard. You discover a lot about yourself, good and bad, and it’s important to take the next leap in your work.

You’re keeping your word. Because if you can’t keep your word on something as simple and basic as a word count, if you don’t have the respect for yourself and your creativity, how can you be trusted to keep your word on anything else?

I finished the chapter I started yesterday – a bit short of my daily word goal – I considered typing “la la la” for the last 15 words to hit 2500, but I refrained. Hopefully, I’m capturing the chaos energy of what it’s like backstage, from the eyes of someone used to it, and also seeing it through the eyes of the new person.

I’m starting to suspect that the piece is changing genres. Uh oh.

Plans for today are to do some more work on Token and Affections and start the Plum essay. I also want to work on the Breeders’ Cup article, although I think I’ll do it for next week’s issue of FemmeFan, rather than this week’s.

There are a couple of contests I wanted to enter, but the deadlines are Nov. 15, and I’d have to write new pieces, and I just don’t want to scatter myself that much.

Word Meter seems to be back up, so hopefully, it’s all good again.

I’m having lunch with HG today, which also should be interesting.

Devon


Assumption of Right – 17,642 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
17 / 50
(34.0%)


Assumption of Right – 17,642 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
17 / 85
(20.0%)

10 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's gut wrenching news. Let the grieving run its path and hopefully something positive can be taken from someone who sounds very special.

Col

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

That's awful about your friend. :( *hugs*

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Lara said...

That's just awful. But it's good you guys are helping him to feel loved. Puts things in perspective, for sure.

And who is HG? Hansel and Gretel? I'm no good at guessing!

;-)

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Ann said...

So sorry about your friend. That would be horrible. But as everyone else said, I'm sure he really appreciates the love and support.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

It's heartbreaking to hear that about a friend. I'm so sorry.

My first thought at that - what would I do if I had 2 weeks left to live? - was I'd want my son with me every waking moment.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger busy91 said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Life is so precious.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Dorothy said...

Oh, goodness, Devon, what pain you must be going through. Life throws curve balls, but that's really sad. I'd want to be with my children until the very end I'm sure. What a terrible thing to happen. Sending love and hugs his way, and yours, too.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Brandy said...

I hated to hear of your friend. Make sure you have everything said that you feel you need to. Things left unsaid and undone are what haunt us the most. As for your word goal, I love the la,la,la for 15 words. I know it must frustrate you, but don't push yourself to the point you'll hate the project. Sending hugs to you. See if a kitty will cuddle, that might help.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

So sorry to hear the news about your friend, Devon. That is just awful. Sending hugs.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Yes, that's sad about your colleague/friend. My OH just received simliar news, though not as tragic - if his workmate doesn't quit smoking, he'll lose a leg. He hasn't quit smoking ... but it's a shock all the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home