Saturday, November 04, 2006

Saturday, November 4, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Sunny and cold

Today is the Breeders’ Cup, and here are my initial picks (subject to change, once I get a look at the horses, which I probably can’t, since I’m at the theatre all day). I’m betting against myself frequently here because this BC is so wide open.

Juvenile Fillies: Box trifecta on Dreaming of Anna, Cash Included, and Octave. Show bets on Sutra and Bel Air Beauty.

Juvenile: Scat Daddy, Circular Quay, Pegasus Wind

Filly and Mare Turf: Ouija Board across the board. Place bets on Germance and Satwa Queen. Show bets on Film Maker and HoneyRyder. On the fence with Wait a While.

Sprint: Henny Hughes across the board. Thor’s Echo and Pomeroy to place. Siren Lure to show.

Mile: Gorella, Echo of Light, and Araafa across the board. Aragorn to place and show. Miesque’s Approval to show.

Distaff: Spun Sugar and Balletto across the board and boxed exacta. Pine Island to show. Asi Siempre and Happy Ticket to place.

Turf: English Channel, Cacique, Hurricane Run and Scorpion across the board. Red Rocks to place. Icy Atlantic and Better Talk Now to show.

Classic: Bernardini, Lava Man, and Invasor across the board and boxed trifecta. George Washington across the board. Giacomo, Flower Alley, Perfect Drift, and David Junior to show.

On to writing:


I’m having a problem.

Tokens and Affections is pulling me hard – very hard. I think about it all the time, the characters are always talking to me.

I don’t allow myself to work on it until I’ve completed my Nano goal for the day on Assumption of Right. But there’s a definite tug of war going on.

I should be able to balance them. And Tokens is a much shorter project (half the Nano goal, less than half AOR’s completion goal). So it shouldn’t be a problem.

But I’m feeling the pressure.

It’s not that I don’t like AOR – if anything, the two main characters get richer from page to page.

But Elmira and Declan (from Tokens) are also enticing characters.

Something I hope to take away from Nano this year is doing some of the work immediately when I get up, before I start my day. I can focus better and, if I can even do a thousand words before everything else in the day starts, I take pressure off myself for the rest of the day.

The flip side of that is I find I’m frittering away more time during the rest of the day, because I’m over-focused at the beginning of the day, and then almost dopey in the way of waking up from a nap for a few more hours.

So I’m not sure yet how to reconcile part of what works with Nano and apply it to the rest of my life.

Tokens feels more like passion; Assumption feels more like work. Looking back on the past year, the fantasy realms seem a happier place for me to reside during the creative process than the more realistic work. I have to decide what that means in the overall scheme of things.

I wrote 11 pages on Tokens yesterday, and would have written more if I had the time.

I worked on AOR at the theatre – since the section I’m doing takes place backstage, I thought it would make sense. Unfortunately, I was so muddled that, for my first few cues of the show, I had no idea if I was doing the actual show I’m working, or the fictional show in the book. I was a mess.

In order for the fictional show in the novel to make sense, even if I only hint at bits and pieces of it, I have to have the entire show worked out in my head.

What I can’t do is get it mixed up with the actual show that I’m being paid to pay attention to.

All very headache-inducing.

Off to do a two show day.

Devon

Assumption of Right – 13,544 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
27%

Assumption of Right – 13,544 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
15%

Token and Affections - 18,750 words out of est. 25,000
75%

3 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I haven't paid enough attention to the races this year to make any picks. *sigh* Wish the races weren't on ESPN because one of the dudes REALLY gets on my nerves. Oh well. If my patience wears thin, I can always hop back and forth to TVG. :)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Sandy J said...

I am going to try getting up earlier to write instead of at the end of the day.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

I don't pay attention to horse racing, but you've made me curious. As for your writing, I'm sorry that you are feeling torn, I hope you find a way to balance thiings for yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home