Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sunday, November 12, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Rainy and warm

You know how dogs roll in dead fish? That’s basically what I’m doing in the 52 books I bought yesterday. I’m working on an essay for Biblio Paradise that will give the details of yesterday’s lovely day at the Book Barn in Niantic. I’ll let you know when it’s up.

Don’t worry, some of them are for other people. I’m not that selfish. Well, I am, but I found books that others will like, and that’s why I bought those particular volumes.

Glad I wrote the night before, because there was no way in heck I was going to get much done when I came home!

Heaven to be around all those books, and those people who love books!

I’m also accumulating a backlog of projects in various stages of editing. I need to wind up as much of that as I can and get them out there.

I also came to the realization, intellectually as well as emotionally, that Clear the Slot has to wait until I’ve sold two or three other books. I intentionally broke too many rules for anyone to take a chance on it as a “debut” book. I’m open to many changes that have been suggested/will be suggested, but there are two things that I know mainstream agents would want to change, and I refuse to change either one of them. It would destroy the point and theme of the book and pervert what makes it unique in the first place. So, I need to keep working on it (and the three books after it) and hold on to them until I’m in a position with the clout to have them presented the way I wish.

And yes, as egotistical as it sounds, I have every intention of working my way into that position – that of a constantly/consistently working writer with a little bit of clout, and, hopefully, no celebrity.

In the meantime, I need a new bookcase for all the stuff I bought yesterday. And, of course, we stopped in Old Saybrook at my favorite antiques store – I mean, it is Mercury Retrograde. Got things like 5 silver-plated William Rogers Iced Tea spoons for 25 cents (total), some lovely mismatched china (I collect odd pieces of china), some lovely vintage linens, unique candleholders (again, on the 25 cent table), and a very odd wastebasket with a Revolutionary War recreation on it – it’s a Revolutionary War scene in dress of the time, and on one side states, “We owe allegiance to no crown” yet on another panel it says 1854. Someone got a tad mixed up on the research. I think it’s supposed to look like a drum. Anyway, it’s odd and I look at it and wonder what was I thinking, but it’s so odd I’m glad I got it.

I nearly bought three more clocks, two mirrors, a jug lamp and a trunk, but I restrained myself. Must. Wait. For. House.

This morning’s Nano was tough. I did not feel like it. The first 113 words were torture. And then I got back into it, finished Chapter 9, started Chapter 10. Morag’s been attacked; Simon’s shot her attacker. Now they move into the B-line story for a few chapters. The bulk of the action takes place over three days, so they’re in for a long night. Today’s final count was 2651.

Now I can start my day – do things like shower, get the papers, do some other work over at my friend’s place.

I’m out of coffee – there was barely enough for a single Nano-cup, so that has to be dealt with.

I have to make notes on a new idea before it batters me/gets away from me, and I want to do some solid work on the Plum essay today.

You know what’s great? I’m learning things from this Nano that I can apply to The Fix-It Girl, and now I’m eager to get back to that one.

Happy Sunday, all!

Devon


Assumption of Right ­ -- 31,559 words out of 50,000 words (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
31 / 50
(62.0%)


Assumption of Right – 31,559 words out of 85,000 words (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
31 / 85
(36.5%)

6 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

You made a most excellent haul at the antique store! Fun! I used to love cruising the antique & junk stores and the flea market. Well, I guess I would still love it if it wouldn't kick my butt so badly. :)

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

You ran out of coffee? How could you? LOL

Sounds like quite a haul - and I love being surrounded by books. That's one of the things that is so great about my job - being surrounded by so many old books.

I'm glad you'll be able to get something out of Nano for a current project. And, no, I don't think it sounds egotistical to say you'll have clout. You have the drive.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Sounds lovely to have all those books around you. Great finds at the Antique store!

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger larkin said...

within the infinite pages of the books you found i sense a key to something intriguing.

hello

can't log onto nano tonight. it's not working from my computer.

wanted to stay connected so decided to leave tracks here.

thank you again

today marathon teaching day
tomorrow marathon writing day
is my strong intention.

love the image of you with all the books.
love books.

your words have been very helpful. hope to be able to log onto nano soon and read more.

feel like nipping into a pub in the highlands for a wee dram.

will settle for a book and segue into dream world.



kind regards Aisling aka Laurel

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

Running out of coffee is my worst nightmare. :o)

It sounds great to have all those books. I love being surrounded by books and by people who love books.

Great pictures by the way. Keep them coming.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Somehow, the image of you rolling snout-first into a pile of books is, well, enviable (as well as hysterical - thanks for the image!). :))

Life's little pleasures are so awesome, aren't they? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home