Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sunday, November 26, 2006
Waxing Moon
First of Advent
Neptune Retrograde
Cloudy and mild

So yesterday was an, ahem, interesting day.

I would have enjoyed it more had I not felt like crap, but it was still pretty funny.

It started with the need to run errands, once I’d done my quota on Assumption. I started at a craft store, one town over. It was absolutely overwhelming – ten foot tall displays of every possible type of decoration for what seemed like miles. Most at 60% off. So I wandered around, avoiding the frenzied shoppers mowing people down with their carts, and picked up what I need for this year’s decorating.

I also ending up accumulating a bunch of toddlers. Not permanently, thank goodness, but there were all these small children wandering around, lost, crying, frightened, and many of them got tangled in the lengths of garland that hung from various displays, which scared them even more. They’re lost and crying for their parents, and not an adult in sight.

It was like something out of Little Shop of Horrors, only with faux pine garlands instead of Venus flytraps.

I kept untangling small children, and pretty soon there were too many of them to keep track of, so I finally just sat down in the middle of the aisle, gathered them around and began telling them a story about Max the Reindeer (Rudolph’s second cousin on his mother’s side – work with me here).

Several rabid shoppers zooming down the aisle screamed and swore at us. I flipped them off, hoping that most of the toddlers don’t know what that means, where they would know what the words mean.

Finally, this boy of about ten saunters by and says, “You look like you need help.”

“No kidding, Sherlock.”

“I’ll get my dad.”

So when “Dad” stopped laughing, he got the store manager, who got on the PA and started rounding up parents. The most disgusting thing of all was that so many of these parents were so busy chatting on their damn cell phones they “hadn’t noticed” that their kids were missing.

Now, I was with these kids for probably close to a half hour. How could you misplace your kid for that long and “not notice”? I’m beginning to think licensing parents is not such a bad idea.

I finally made it out of there, with my bags of stuff, and then headed over to the pharmacy to pick up my mom’s prescription, where I was assaulted by dancing mechanical penguins who felt like they chased me up and down the aisles, accompanied by a dancing mechanical Santa doing an Elvis impersonation. And this is a good idea because . . .?

I popped into a grocery store beside the pharmacy to pick up some wonderfully scented candles only carried by that one particular place and managed to get in and out unscathed.

I meant to go to another grocery store, but took one turn too soon and found myself at Home Depot, so I picked up the wreath for the front door –and ran into the kid and his Dad. We ended up going to a nearby place for Chinese food. Turns out he grew up in this town – but went to private school, not public, which is why our paths never crossed. He’s recently divorced and came back with his son to spend the holidays at his mom’s. The kid is pretty funny – very smart with a very dry sense of humor.

Then I braved the other grocery store, which wasn’t that full, but those that were in there were lethal – especially an elderly woman who just got a new motorized chair and didn’t know how to use it yet. She knocked over a display of toy cars, and she passed me going through the meat aisle yelling, “You better get out of the way, because I don’t know how to stop this thing!” It was pretty funny. She seemed to enjoy herself, and I don’t think anyone got hurt.

To the wine shop next to pick up a few things for today’s meeting, and then, finally, back home.

And then the decorating began. Until nearly ten o’clock at night. It’s still a work in progress, but the bulk of it is done, including the tree up, all the fabric on the different surfaces that are “fabricked” the Advent table done, etc., etc. Technically, I should have waited until today, the first of Advent, but I was afraid to get called in to work today and then it would be chaos when everyone arrived for tonight’s meeting.

However, I realized by mid-evening that there was no way I could work because I felt too lousy, so I let work know I wasn’t able to come in today.

Of course, in addition to being sick, everything also hurts from hauling boxes and ironing and doing all the rest.

I’m doing the food prep for tonight’s meeting (not that I’ll get to eat any of it, but hey, they will, and that’s what counts) and try to get the rest of the place in good enough order so I won’t be completely embarrassed to have people in.

Because, of course, all the stuff that was on the tables that now hold holiday festivities has to go somewhere. And I haven’t figured out where yet.

Did another chapter on Assumption this morning. A Morag chapter, overlapping a good bit of the previous chapter. I realized, structurally, the book shaped itself by alternating POV chapters that did not overlap initially, but grew more and more so as the story progressed. It’s interesting how that happened organically.

Again, proof that it pays to trust the story.

Off to get things done for tonight and then get back to work on the Plum essay. December 1 is coming up fast.

Devon

Assumption of Right -- 62,428 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
62 / 50
(124.0%)


Assumption of Right -- 62,428 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
62 / 85
(72.9%)

9 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Good, Lord. If not for you, some pervert could have made off with all those kids! I agree that licensing parents isn't such a bad idea. What a bunch of morons.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

Cell phones are a pest. They should be banned to special areas, like cigarettes.

Geez, Christmas is really coming. There should be the market soon which will make it impossible to get through one street with the bicycle because those idiots that had too much Glühwein just keep standing there. I'm getting more tired of the whole thing and the fuss around it every year. I haven't even put up decorations yet.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

As a very wise person once said: You realize that I'm only laughing because it happened to you and not to me?

And I think you've been following me most of the day ... LOL

I'm slowly getting some Christmas stuff up. I have the tree up, but only the lights as I'm easing Baileyboo into the concept of a Christmas tree (his first). I'll put decorations on it in a few days.

Hope you get to feeling better.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Good grief, when I take my kids anywhere they stay with me! I'm actually kind of paranoid about it, so to hear of parents who don't even know where there kids are..... that's just insane. I am sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well, I hope you start to feel better soon.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Kristen King said...

What a day! I don't know what is wrong with people sometimes. I've found kids wandering alone in department stores and malls before (though never quite so many at one time!) and actually been YELLED at by the parents when the parent and child were finally reunited. Uh, dude, YOU'RE the one who LOST YOUR CHILD in a mall on Black Friday and didn't notice for 20 minutes, and YOU'RE yelling at ME? Yeah, that makes sense. If you don't want the responsibility, don't have kids. It's a very easy concept.

As far as the holiday hubbub goes, this is the first year that I've officially stopped celebrating holidays, and I can't tell you how wonderful it is! The world around me is working itself into a tizzy, and I'm just enjoying getting on with life as usual. Such a relief! It makes me sad to see how frantic folks get. :/

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Hee hee! This post is a riot!

But take care of yourself, health wise. I've heard there is some kind of Asian bird flu or something going around again, so be sure to get it checked out if it doesn't go away soon.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Meretta said...

Wow! What a day!

You are a good person to take those children close and keep them safe. Good for you!

Feel better soon, Devon!

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Sya said...

I think the whole shopping thing during the holiday season is insane. That's why I stayed in the entire weekend--to avoid all the crazy people.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Goodness! All those irresponsible parents! Good thing they had an angel to watch over their kids! ;-)

Hope you feel better soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home