Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thursday, November 16, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Rainy and cool


The question becomes: do you write yourself out each day or do you keep a steady pace?

I want to push hard, harder on Assumption to the exclusion of everything else and get the darned thing done. But I also know, from my yo-yoing last year, that I run the risk of burning out.

It’s an extension of the question: Work on one project or several?

And has to be answered case-by-case.

One of the Big Love/Sex Scenes takes place today in Chapter 13, a Morag chapter. I find interesting that it is that particular chapter, considering the theme and context of the book. And this particular love scene is a pivotal catalyst in the book.

No such thing as coincidence.

The subconscious at work again, leading us where we need to be without us cognizant of the fact until later.

And I managed to do 3224 words today, more than I thought I could on such a stressful day. But I like the way the book shapes itself – there will be plenty of revision, pruning, fixing, deliberation to come, but it’s flowing, and I like that.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I find this year flowing more smoothly than last year. Part of it was doing preparation each day from the day I had the idea, keeping it fresh and exciting. Part of it is where I am in my transition process. Last year, I WANTED writing to be my priority. This year it IS.

And yet, looking through my archives, last year on this date, I’d hit 42,952 words on Fix-it Girl, just slightly ahead of where I am today. I hit the 50K on November 18, and 55K by the end of the month. And stalled. I don’t think I made it past 56K in the months beyond. Scrolling back, I see that I broke 61K before The Situation completely derailed my life.

So why do I remember last year as being so much harder?

Managed to write six pages on Token and Affections. It’s starting to flow again. Phew! I was afraid I’d lost Elmira and Declan there for awhile. Declan, in particular, is quite endearing, even though he can be dangerous. He has a strong personal compass of integrity, even if it doesn’t always fit in with other people’s. But then, he’s not human, so it makes sense within the context of what he is.

Having trouble with “Christmas Treats” for several reasons. One is that it’s hard to work on a happy, cute story when there’s a funeral looming in the next few days. Another is that because it’s a happy, cute fable, I question its worth. Now, if someone else had written it, I would applaud it within the context of holiday spirit. Happy, cute fables are just as important, if not more so, than dark, dreary tales. But because I wrote it, I’m questioning it. I need to get out of my own way.

Started the “Merry.” Got just over 8 pages done. I’m sketching the bones here, piecing together the skeleton. It’s action-packed, funny, good dialogue, and a hint of romance while still keeping to the PG-13 rating requested by the publisher. Okay, maybe it flirts with R, but in a way I’d be comfortable with any of my godchildren reading. Innuendo rather than explicitness. I figure the first draft will come in at 5K and then, when I bring in the lush sensory description it needs, it will end up at 7K. I actually start the action prior to the original notes, introducing Luthias to Kit in the first scene and setting the seeds for the subsequent relationship. It makes more sense then introducing her and having him come in halfway through. Plus, he’s more interesting and surprising than in the outline. I’m letting him be himself instead of an archetype, and it works better. And Kit always refused to be set in any mold, so . . .it’s all good.

Called a couple of friends, rented a studio space, and we choreographed the first sword fight for “Merry”. Wrote it all down move-by-move so it makes logical sense. Then came home and cut out all the boring bits and put in the smart-ass dialogue. The scene reads well.

Having fight choreography friends when you write swashbuckling or other action scenes is invaluable.

At least we were using the basic type of longsword one would wear on a belt instead of a claymore, or my shoulders would hurt even more than they do! I am out of shape.

But I wrote over 25 pages today, spread across three important projects, and that’s a good thing.

Someone I know and have worked with had a new series debut last night. I knew I should watch the show – but I didn’t really want to. I wanted to write instead. Someone else with whom I worked last fall, whose show debuts in January, has a nice article in the December Elle. I hope the show is his big break. He deserves it – talented AND a great person.

Incredibly busy today – writing, Nano lunch in White Plains, and then I’m dressing a lead on the show with whom I haven’t worked before. I was up at 6:30 AM; if I’m lucky, I’ll get home by 1:30 AM tomorrow.

Devon

Assumption of Right -- 42,937 words out of 50,000 words (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
42 / 50
(84.0%)


Assumption of Right – 42,937 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
42 / 85
(49.4%)


Token and Affections – 22,250 words out of est. 25,000 words
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
22 / 25
(88.0%)


“The Merry’s Dalliance” -- 2,000 words out of est. 5,000 words
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2 / 5
(40.0%)

6 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Hope the Lead isn't too much of a Diva!
;-)

How cool you choreographed the fight scene!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Wow. That is awesome that you have friends you can call up to choreograph a fight scene. My friends would give me some rather odd looks!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Meretta said...

Oh, you've got a busy day ahead of you! I hope you enjoy it. Your writing is moving at a great pace. Keep it up!

And I'm going to start acting out my fight scenes too! Thanks for the tip, Devon. It's quite logical, but I hadn't ever thought of it. It must be your theatre influence!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Having fight choreography friends when you write swashbuckling or other action scenes is invaluable.

I'm seriously jealous about this! That is so cool!

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

I find having too many projects on the go makes me work like a nutcase, and like you, I flake out after a few months of non-stop working.

I'm away this weekend and just know the relaxation will be worse than the work. I'll come home a blob and not want to do anything.

Must finish my two WIP's before December though.

:o)

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Anita said...

That is the question, isn't it? I've been thinking about that one lately too. Some days I write myself out, just keep going until my fingers ache and I literally can't type anymore. Other days I get in the required amount and stop. I'm not sure what the answer to the question is, but if you come up with one, let me know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home