Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thursday, November 2, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Rainy and cool

Hop on over to Kemmyrk in a bit. There will be a post up about Mercury Retrograde.

So, I was ready to go back to bed by 8:30 yesterday morning. I need about an hour and a half to two hours to do my pages, when they’re flowing well. I wanted to push ahead, but I was afraid I would burn out, so I stopped after one chapter.

Yesterday, I went a bit over my daily word goal, but hit my chapter goal. Because I’m working four shows this weekend, I’m worried I’ll fall behind, so getting a bit ahead will help.

Today, I did Chapter 2, which came in at 3,486 words, well over my daily goal. I caught myself making a few of my typical first-draft mistakes. And there’s also a story within the story, that Morag tells Simon, a ghost story about the history of the theatre, that are the seeds of a novel in itself.

Because, of course, Broadway theatres have a rich history of ghost stories.

My printer should be fixed and back in a few days.

And the manual for the sewing machine FINALLY arrived, so I can go and pick that up. They told me it would take a week – it took six. You know what? It’s really not that big a deal to put a booklet into an envelope and mail it. Come on, people!

I’m starting to design a series of five quilts – elemental quilts, I guess I’d call the series, or directional: North, East, South, West and Center/Spirit. A little larger than lap quilts, but smaller than bed-sized. A combination of traditional patterns with something a bit more modern. I hope to make them over the course of the winter, once I decide on the design. Eventually, they will grace the walls of my yoga/meditation room.

I’ve also started to think about page design for “Christmas Treats”. If I want it ready to go out for the holidays, it needs to be ready soon. I’m not happy with the clip art – plus, clip art’s not appropriate for my ultimate goal – so I’m going to have to teach myself how to do a simple page design. Once I get my printer back, I can work on scanning simple line drawings and then using “paint” (I think) to fill in as I wish. I know what I want – it’s a case of being able to do it. And I’m not sure what I’ll do for the cover – maybe a photo? I need to rewrite the ending. I’d cut too much out last year, and it feels amputated. It doesn’t flow. And then the Situation happened, and the last thing I felt like doing was working on a happy fable.

I drove to Hartsdale to pick up the manual for the sewing machine, and ended up buying far too much beautiful yarn. I have some ideas for sweaters. My mom’s the knitter – I make sketches and explain what I want, she does the knitting.

I burned CDs of “Simon’s Music” and “Morag’s Music.” I can only play them on the computer, not the CD player, so I guess I can only play them at my desk. No big deal, but I like my music to be mobile – and no, that doesn’t mean I want an iPod.

What was interesting was the search for the music. My idea of what both these people would listen to changed. I’d hear a piece and suddenly fit it to one or the other – or, even if it was something that I personally liked, it wasn’t appropriate for the project and had to be culled.

Simon’s taste turned out to be for a smokier jazz, with more blues, more swing, and some contemporary jazz, mixed in with a bit of rock. Morag didn’t just listen to soft New Agey-type “Celtic” wanna-be – she went for the more progressive, and even some hardcore Techno and early punk. Contrast that with Sweet Honey in the Rock, and you’ve got quite a play list. So, that will be interesting to utilize.

I did a bit of work on Tokens and Affections. I love that piece. In fact, two peripheral characters will go off on their own adventures when I’m done with the trilogy. I like their world, which sometimes intersects with ours.

My poor Mom! She was reading a book she got for her birthday, and was really into it. Then, after chapter 19, it goes back to repeat Chapters 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and then skips to Chapter 24. So I go online to the publisher’s site, which is Signet, part of Penguin. And they have a snooty paragraph stating they expect the bookseller to be responsible for defective books. So we have to haul all the way back to White Plains and hope the bookseller is good to us. That’s a printing/binding mistake that should have been caught. Obviously, if they have a whole section in customer service dedicated to “defective books”, it must be a common occurrence. Maybe they should consider some quality management.

Okay, both Heather and Nichole tagged me for Five Things. Five interesting things about me? Okay, that’s really hard. Um, um, um . . . .

1. I can’t swim. I can’t even float. I have no natural buoyancy, and I sink like a stone. Even though I’m a Pisces, I should be somewhat of a mermaid. But I’m not.

2. I prefer animals to people. Animals don’t lie.

3. I used to play Chicken when I first got my driver’s license. And I was really, really good (and really, really crazy), because I was never the one who flinched. Oh, and did I mention really, really stupid? Proof positive that Guardian Angels exist. And I’m sure I gave mine the regular angelic equivalent of heart failure (wing failure)?

4. I am addicted to juvenile mystery fiction from the early 20th century: Nancy Drew, Beverly Gray, Vicki Barr, Penny Parker, Dana Girls, Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, Ruth Fielding, Dorothy Dixon, The Adventure Girls, Cherry Ames, Sue Barton, Judy Bolton, Kay Tracey, the list goes on and on and on . . .I pick them up at thrift stores and yard sales all the time. Even the really badly written ones are a drug.

5. Even though I’m a neo-Luddite, I’m fascinated by transportation machines – cars, airplanes, trains, steamboats, rockets – any of that stuff. I love the way they work.

Um, who do I want to tag? Colin, Debra, Ann, Erin, and Artie!

Last night, some of us in the Tenants’ Organization had a great dinner one town over. It was nice to catch up and just to relax and hang out. We need to stay in touch, be able to disseminate information quickly, even though things seem quiet lately. Because, of course, “seems” is the operative word and if we let our guard down too much, we’ll be in the same Situation as we were at this time last year.

Only this time I’m going to have an excellent lawyer.

Tonight is the Backspace cocktail party at the Algonquin. Part of me is shy and quaking to go, but I really want to meet my colleagues . . .so I’m going.

Devon




Assumption of Right – 6,589 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
6 / 50
(12.0%)


Assumption of Right -- 6,589 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
6 / 85
(7.1%)


Token and Affections 15,125 words out of est. 15,000
Zokutou word meter
15 / 15
(100.0%)


Token and Affections – 15,125 words out of re-estimated 25,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
15 / 25
(60.0%)

9 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Wow, FANTASTIC progress!
Now that it's getting cold, my thoughts are turning to quilting too. I love quilting in the winter time! I've already picked out the pattern and everything, I just need to get cutting! (And Santa needs to get me a new sewing machine for Christmas! I'm still using the $99 JCPenney sewing machine I got eleven years ago when we got married!)

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Excellent progress! The starting line is already a distant memory. :-)

Thanks for the tag.

Col

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Siobhan said...

Superb progress, Devon. Hope your printer gets fixed soon. Take care!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I wish I liked to sew. I would love to just sit on the couch during those winter months and work on a quilt. Unfortunately, my skills do not lend themselves that direction.

I can't swim, either. I even took private swimming lessons and could never put my head under water. I couldn't get myself to believe that I could float - so I never did.

Great job on the word progress!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Have a great time at the party! d:)

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Great going on the writing!!!

Five interesting things about me?

Wow. I think we must be long lost twins!!! Except for #3, that is. And I can dog paddle, but that's about it for swimming. :)

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Your Mom is so lucky, to know how to knit. I think when they were giving out talent, you were gifted. You write so prolifically, you sew, etc. Congratulations on all the writing.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

That's great progress!

What about Trixie Belden? Or is she too late? I used to have every one of the Nancy Drews (copyright 30s) - sold them when I was a teenager and didn't know any better.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Erin Mhray said...

You quilt too? Awesome!

It doesn't seem that there are a lot of people who do, unless they are the age of my grandmother. I'm finishing up a variation of a traditional lonestar right now for my bed. Although with Nano, it might be Thanksgiving before it actually gets quilted, but at least the top is done...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home