Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thursday, November 9, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Sunny and warm


I’m supposed to pick up my printer today. Yippy skippy. Let’s hope it doesn’t re-break down once Mercury turns direct.

The Circadian Poem goes up today because we had flooding problems yesterday that sort of took precedence over everything else. My apologies to Rachelle Arlin Credo for getting it up late.

I’m happy about the election results because, in the places to which I’m likely to relocate, the intelligent have either retained control or regained it.

I’ve never been a Bush fan, but he lost ALL respect from me when he stood in front of us at a rally a few years ago and said, “I don’t care what you think.” If I’d seen it on TV, I’d have thought it was faked. But standing there, seeing the man that’s supposed to represent the people of this country say he didn’t care what we think -- You’re our EMPLOYEE, man, and the people have said that they’ve had enough with your lack of care. And by changing the makeup of the House, they’ve made that clear. And now, if the speculation is true, and the Dems truly won the Senate, too, I just have one thing to say:

Woo-hoo!

Yes, I will allow myself some moments of gloating and satisfaction.

Now, everyone better get to work and improve things over the next two years and not go back to the same old crap under a different banner.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – we need to have more than two valid parties running in the election process. Two parties don’t give us enough choices.

And the results of the 2008 election will be the major factor in whether I stay in the US or become an exile.

Yesterday, I was what I commonly refer to as “a waste of food”. I did my Nano pages. I ran errands in the pouring rain – got the papers, put gas in the car, bought the overseas holiday cards (and found some cute little gifts), brought back Chinese food for lunch . . .and spent far too much time sluffing off on the internet, until weather problems caused connection wonkies. And then I decided I just damn well didn’t feel like doing anything (although my mind wandered back to the Plum essay), so I sat and read the bookshop memoir and hoped the brook wouldn’t overflow, because there was no place safe to move the car.

Later in the afternoon, I drove to Larchmont – which was an adventure in itself, with the flooding – to meet one of my Nano buddies. We sat and talked about everything under the sun for a few hours, and had a great time. I love the premise for her book, and I think it’ll be great.

I had to drive home a different way, due to the flooding making roads I came in on impassible. Found a parking spot on a street that’s above water level, and left a note on the dashboard in the hopes that the cops won’t ticket me for leaving it there.

My neighbor and I checked out the brook a few times – all the way to the top, about 6 inches below the bridge at low tide, spilling into people’s lawns. Water was moving so quickly not even the ducks were out. I didn’t dare take my camera down in case the water broke the banks while we there and we had to scramble. I did put new batteries in my Mag light, though. Some guy stopped his car on the bridge, and J. and I had our flashlights, checking water height, and then one of the city cops stops, wondering what the hell we’re doing. Then, he sees it’s me and he is, after all, someone I went to high school with. So it was all fine.

I could feel the writing building up in me all day, but didn’t let myself write (outside of the morning’s Nano pages). That should make for a more productive day today.

However, I had to move the car first thing in the morning, before doing the Nano pages, and it was a slog. I’m a few words short of where I wanted to be for the daily goal, but I think I can hit 25K tomorrow, as planned.

The brook is still high, but the ducks are back, so I think it'll be fine.

I have to take a shower now – I can’t stand myself. And then I need to get my printer and do everything else.

Devon

Assumption of Right – 24,196 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
24 / 50
(48.0%)


Assumption of Right – 24,196 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
24 / 85
(28.2%)

3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

George Washington didn't want us to have political parties. And now it's all too obvious why he voiced his objections. There are waaaay too many people who vote for someone just because they're a Republican and they're registered Republican, or vice versa. I'm sick of the "power struggle" between Repubs. and Dems. We're all Americans, but not in Washington D.C., IMO. In that town, you're the enemy of someone else if you're on opposing parties.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Ann said...

You're right - I saw Bush's speech last night, and he kept saying he thought the American people would vote to fight terrorism. Uh...we did. Just in a different way than he thinks!
You're right, tho - now comes the hard part.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

I look at politics as the lesser of 2 evils. So far, the lesser is taking over, and for that I'm grateful.
Good luck with the writing tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home