Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Tuesday, November 7, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Cloudy and cool



Election Day, in the US. Take the opportunity to make your voice heard! It DOES matter, and there’s no such thing as “not having time” to do something as vital to the well-being of yourself and your family as voting.

I tried to change a character’s name yesterday. He was equally adamant that the name I wished to change him to was not his, and the name he currently had was. And then, the name I wanted to use fleshed out into a fully realized character – only I don’t have a story for him yet.

Sigh.

I was so exhausted yesterday I could barely function. Part of it is grief (which is exhausting), and a combination of theatre and the Nano. Usually I’m not this tired until I’m going into week 4! But I am pushing, harder than usual, to frontload the month.

On the Plum essay, I found I have to do a lot of free writing about the series in general first before I can focus on the essay topic. I tried to do it the logical way, but my mind wandered off every few words (and doing the equivalent of “here, kitty, kitty” doesn’t work). So I’m writing everything I think about the series first and then pulling relevant themes and topics that relate to my overall concept. I have most of the examples (including book and page numbers), so I can do quick references.

Had a good, late, long lunch with HG. Interesting guy. And genuinely smart, thank goodness, or I couldn’t stand being around him. Also interesting (don’t you dare start “it’s al small world” or it’ll be in my head all day) was that someone I’m close to who has family near one of his offices and asked the family if they knew him – well, the two parties know each other and it is NOT a mutual admiration society. He had some information to back up some disturbing news I discovered about my friend – I can’t go into it, but it’s yet another series of bad choices this person makes over and over again in his life. HG is full of contempt. He feels the person is weak. I have to agree. I’m sad about it, but it’s really none of my business and there’s nothing I can do unless asked, because it will just make things messy. People are who they are, though, and not who you wish they’d be. He’s my friend, and while I don’t agree with his choices, as long as they don’t start interfering with my life, there’s not much I can do. And I’m not going to stop being his friend. I simply won’t put myself in a position where it could be detrimental. That discussion/discovery was a short portion of the meal, thank goodness, and then HG and I moved on to topics more interesting to both of us, but I found the synchronicity interesting. HG drove back to his home district afterwards, because voting is as important to him as it is to me. If we ruled the world, we’d each approach it in very different ways, but we sure agree on some of the basics!

Tonight, I’m going to spend some time with a . . .gosh, I’m not sure what he is. Acquaintance? Compatriot? We met when I was doing research for a project a few years ago. We don’t get along particularly well and argue a lot. But when the muck hits, we tend to turn to each other for a reality check. And, for whatever weird reason, we keep in touch. Sporadically, but we do. If one of us is publicly criticized, the other comes out swinging. He’s had a rough time in his very stressful job lately, with external pressure factors that should not be applied. And, of all people, he called me to ask my opinion. Which I had no problem giving, and it cheered him up a bit, because it was in defense of him and his work, and he knows I’m not nice enough to do that just because he’s feeling down. But he’s still a little blue, so I’m heading out there after work for a beer and pizza and hangout-watching-the-elections night. Sometimes you just need to spend time with someone who has no agenda where you’re concerned, and we have no agenda with each other.

1678 words on Nano this morning. Since I’m ahead, I granted myself a light day so I could vote before leaving for the show, since I won’t be back to vote tonight. Got to keep organized. This is too important to let slide.

Did about 6 ½ pages on the untitled piece inspired by the overheard conversation on Sunday. I’m not sure exactly what it is – dark comedy with a bit of mystery and romance tossed in, I think – but the characters are intriguing, and I have the intense triangle already well set up. I thought it was going to be in the Ava Dunne voice, but it seems to be something slightly different. I need to play with it a bit. Don’t want to get too involved in it, because I don’t want to take energy away from the other stuff going on. Just trying to get enough down so that the characters shut up.

Got a nice big check from a publisher. That takes care of November’s bills and this weekend’s trip. Phew! I was so sure I was going to have to pitch a fit today and demand it be overnighted, but it was in the box.

Did some work on Tokens and Affection (2000 words). Slow going – this section is tricky because I have to establish the relationship between Elmira and John and give it what it needs to grow seemingly as strong as what’s sprung up between Elmira and Declan, or the book won’t work (damn Declan for taking over like that – but he is right). However, if the relationship between Elmira and John isn’t both strong and believable (although different from the way it was initially intended), it will cheapen the characters, and I don’t want to do that.

And I need to look at a map of Central Park and do some research on Park history. Where’s that folder of historical info for that article I wrote a few years ago? I’ve got it somewhere. . . I never throw anything out . . .it’s got to be in one of these file boxes . . .

Off to vote and then the theatre.

Devon

Assumption of Right – 19,320 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
19 / 50
(38.0%)


Assumption of Right – 19,320 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
19 / 85
(22.4%)


Tokens and Affections – 20,750 words out of 25,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
20 / 25
(80.0%)


Untitled – 1625 words out of who-knows-what

4 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Lara said...

"It's a World of Laughter, a World of Tears..."

HA!
It sounds like you are on fire with NaNo, you go! Enjoy the Theatre today.
:-)

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

You're always so busy! You make me tired. *g*

Happy birthday to your grandmother! :)

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Glad to hear that the check really WAS in the mail! :)

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

You need to pamper yourself, just a bit, before you give so much there's nothing left.
Glad to hear you're going to vote!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home