Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Wednesday, November 1, 2006
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Sunny and mild

And. . .we’re off! Woo-hoo! Nano has officially started.

Pop over to both Circadian and The Scruffy Dog Review Blog for new entries.

I came up with a subplot for Assumption of Right yesterday morning, as I was doing my nails (nothing like a personal manicure to encourage creativity). The subplot not only weaves well into the fabric of the story, it can raise the stakes substantially for both characters.

I was getting worried.

Synchronicity: Colin mused about his Nano subplotting around the same time I did mine. Go figure! Attuned writing minds, and all that.

Getting to and from the city was a nightmare. Metro North is not only late, but blasts the heat in the summer and the air conditioning in the winter. Suddenly, on the trip to the city, the car was filled with noxious fumes – and the crew did NOTHING. Not even crack a window. People were getting sick, and no one in a position to do anything cared. On the way back, when it was 68 degrees outside, the heat blasted so badly I nearly passed out. They had no right to collect tickets in either direction, when they treat the customers like crap all the time – and don’t even get them where they’re going on time. And the random decisions on making stops is also ridiculous. The train I take in on Tuesdays mornings is supposed to stop at the next town, then run express. Well, yesterday, they decided not to stop. No reason given. Just “we’re not stopping at Harrison today.” It’s a scheduled stop for crying out loud, and there was nothing wrong on the track, no work being done, no police incident. Just “we’re not making the stop today.”

That’s not acceptable.

One of the first things Eliot Spitzer needs to do if he wins the election next week is remove Peter Kalikow from the MTA, as he’s promised. I could run a better train service than that out-of-touch S.O.B.

Samhain’s always a busy time for me, and the few days after it, with the Ceremonies for the Dead, so juggling it all is a bit of a challenge. Especially since, for two whole weeks, I kept forgetting to pick up the candles I needed for the ceremonies! And then there’s the divination and the honoring of the ancestors (and for me, my writing ancestors and “mentors”) and all the rest that goes along with it. I love it, so I don’t mind the busy-ness of it all. I’m looking forward to the day when I’m in my own house rather than a temporary apartment and where I can spread out.

I also feel very lucky in my Nano Adoptees – I think they’re terrific. I’m already proud of them and excited by their stories – I think they have terrific ideas, and together, we can navigate a positive execution of them. They have everything they need to make this work – they just need some positive reinforcement!

And some of my Backspace buddies have also signed up for Nano, so we can all encourage each other.

As far as the other work, I need to rethink how I’ve structured it. Nano is about word count, so I’m focusing on doing 2500 words/day, approximately one chapter. But the other work, the one that I want/need to do more slowly – instead of thinking in terms of word count or page count, I want to start working in terms of scenes. Complete a scene. Then, if it’s flowing, go on to the next one. I can’t stop in the middle of something, as Hemingway supposedly did, and so many writers swear by doing. If I stop in the middle, I lose the scene. I have to see it through to the end. Or else I have to go back and redo the entire scene. I can never just pick up in the middle.

I have a beautiful and beautifully framed photo of Point Given, one of my favorite racehorses, in my bookcases. Yesterday, Elsa raced over to it, as though she’d never seen it before, and began talking to it. She thinks she’s made a new friend. Sigh . . .

November GDRS:
Assumption of Right (Nano)
Stephanie Plum essay for Ben Bella Books (paying contract)
Start “Merry’s Dalliance” for anthology deadline
Continue with Token and Affections
Keep up with my mentees
Prepare for the holidays
If possible, work on Periwinkle and Middle Marie

Oh, yeah, and write the GDRs for 2007!

Short and sweet this month.

I’ve been invited to participate in an exciting event as part of PEN’s Core Freedoms/Freedom to Write program at the end of November. I RSVP’d “of course” – and offered to bake. We will get much more done if there’s food involved.

I spent far too much time burning CDs especially geared to both Morag and Simon. And I bought a Coltrane CD at Colony yesterday – with three clerks falling all over themselves to help me. Haven’t they ever seen a woman in a dress before? Too funny.

And then I forgot to play them this morning.

Took me an hour and a half to do just over 3000 words. Not a bad start.

Devon


Assumption of Right --- 3,103 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
3 / 50
(6.0%)


Assumption of Right -- 3,103 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
3 / 85
(3.5%)

4 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Congrats on a great start!!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

WTG on the word count!

Reading about life in the city just fascinates me. I have never had to take a train to work and have never lived in an area where they had trains to take to work! It's just been cars for me, never any trains or buses (except for the yellow school buses in my early years).

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

I sometimes will stop in the middle of a scene out of fear that I won't know what to write the next time I sit down, but I really prefer to write to the end of a scene also. Sometimes it works; sometimes the block (that dreaded, dratted block) falls on my head and knocks my unconscious, storywise. d:)

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Seems you've started off well. I am sorry your ride on the trains was so awful. Good luck with Nano.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home