Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Rainy and cool


It was tough yesterday, to walk into the theatre and know that my colleague will never do so again.

On top of it, there was a put-in for a new principal, so it was chaos in all directions.

But I got through it, in spite of resenting every moment spent in the theatre instead of with my manuscript, except for a few fun exchanges with one of my favorite people on the show.

I was supposed to meet a colleague from writers’ group after, but there was a health problem in her family, so we postponed. In a way it worked out, because by the time I was done with work, I could barley keep my eyes open. The train ride was even worse, because they overheated the train car so badly I thought I would suffocate. People were ready to strip down to their skivvies in there, let me tell you!

Typical – a mild day, they blast the heat. When it’s in the 90s, they’ll pump in the heat. When it’s freezing out, they’ll run the air conditioning. Metro North sucks, and Spitzer better make good on his promise to oust Kalikow first thing after his inauguration! Oh, yeah, and then there was the subway last week that shot through the tunnel under the river WITH ITS DOORS OPEN. That’s competence under Kalikow for you.

Did very little when I got home. Too tired. Tried to watch stupid TV, but it just depresses me. At least they picked up STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP for more episodes. It would have been typically awful to cancel that intelligent show and put yet another dumbass “reality” show that pays people to be their worst selves on.

Hated being away from Assumption yesterday, and I was raring to go this morning. And then had trouble getting started. I nearly blew off today, because I was ahead of my goal, but forced myself to stay at the page, and ended up with an additional 2696 words (chapter 12). I figured if I can keep up this blistering pace beyond Nano in order to finish this novel, I could have the first draft done between December 7-10. Don’t know if I can maintain it past the 20th or 30th, but I’ll at least try to keep a steady pace. I’d like to put the first draft to bed before Yule.

Couldn’t keep the pace up indefinitely, but I ought to be able to stretch it just over two more weeks from completion, right?

Also had an idea for another piece, kind of an adventure/magical realism story, so I’m making notes on that, and then it will have to take its place in the queue.

Today needs to be a solid writing day. I’m letting too much other writing slide due to Nano. I’m not happy with the work I’ve done thus far on the Plum essay; I need to get back to Token and Affections. I need to get started on “The Merry’s Dalliance” if that’s going to get done by January 1, and I need to do the requested revision on Tumble.

And I need to figure out the ending for “Christmas Treats”. Now that the printer is back, I need to lay it out this weekend.

Devon

Assumption of Right -- 39,713 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
39 / 50
(78.0%)


Assumption of Right – 39,713 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
39 / 85
(45.9%)

3 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I would imagine all those train rides give you VERY good material for stories!

Congrats on getting ahead...may the words flow!

:-*

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I can barely keep my eyes open at work right now and it's only 11:16 a.m. I say only because I have to go to lunch at noon instead of the regular 11 a.m. I'm hoping some food will perk me up.

I didn't edit my nove last night, but edited a manuscript that someone is paying me to edit. Hmm...maybe I will be more inclined to edit my novel if someone is paying me to do it, right? ;)

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

You're doing great, Devon, considering. I'm cheering you on...d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home