Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Wednesday, November 8, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Rainy and mild

I’m happy with the election results, so far. I think people are finally taking politicians to task, reminding them that they are the employees of the people. I think many people are sick of both extremes, and the corruption, selfishness, and greed involved in politics. They’re demanding that the elected officials come up with compromises, not positions paid for by major corporations. “Moderate” is not a dirty word. It means looking at both sides and creating a resolution that can work for everyone.

Let’s hope the newly elected officials and those who were re-elected now walk the talk.

Tired. Work was fine yesterday, but complicated in that too many of the actors use their dressing rooms as second apartments (even when they only live a few blocks away) and that makes it hard to prep the clothes.

Worked out in my head the physical and emotional landscapes of the Untitled Whatever-It-Is (lots of character interaction coming up). I think I’m going to create a fictional town in Vermont on Lake Champlain and set it there.

Worked out bits and pieces of “The Merry’s Dalliance” (which is due Jan. 1), and I’m raring to go on it.

Re-read parts of Elizabeth George’s Write Away. Her process is a bit too regimented for me, but there are bits and pieces I can pull out to use. And I love how she writes about writing.

Two more books came from Strand: A history of Montreal, and a memoir about the Johnny Appleseed Bookshop in Manchester, VT.

Those of you who read my blog last year remember (or not) the dreams I had that were set in Otterburne, Northumbria, a place I’d visited years ago and which always held a mysterious fascination for me. I couldn’t figure out what the dreams meant, with that strangely familiar figure and his sword. It’s taken me a full damn year – it was a warning about what was to come with the Situation and the Evil Developers, and he was letting me know I’d have to fight. I certain did fight – in every sense of the word – along with the other tenants, and we won. But it took me a whole year to figure out what the dreams meant! At least, the next time he shows up, I’ll know why he’s there. He warned me, and I was too obtuse to understand.

Got home, picked up my books, hopped on the computer quickly to check a few things, then headed out to my friend’s place for the cheer up/hang out/watch election night. I ended up staying – it was too late to drive back, and even though I’d only had a couple of beers over a long period of time, it made more sense for me to stay there and come home early this morning. Which set my entire schedule back a few hours, but it was worth it.

Wrote 2592 words on Assumption this morning. We are at the one week mark of the process, and I’m happy with my word count so far, although I think it needs a lot of editing. The piece has changed genres, and now that I’m not trying to make it bend to genre, the writing is flowing much better. Later on, I will see if I can restructure it back into its intended genre, but if not, I won’t. It needs the freedom to be what it is, not what I try to force it to be. Exploring the characters through their daily details right now serves the piece than trying to impose strictures of romantic suspense over it. They’re getting where they need to be, and the stakes are rising for them paragraph by paragraph, but not at the pace it should for the genre.

And that’s okay.

Lots to do today, both writing and non-writing, so I better get to it. There will be a Circadian poem up, but it will be later in the day.

Devon

Assumption of Right -- 21,912 words out of 50,000 (Nano goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
21 / 50
(42.0%)


Assumption of Right – 21,912 words out of 85,000 (completion goal)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
21 / 85
(24.7%)

3 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Great job on the writing progress!

Next time I go to Chicago, I'll have to ask you about the best out of the way places to go. :-)

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Lara said...

That is very interesting about your dream.

Oh, and happy birthday to Grandma! WOW!!!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Happy Birthday to you grandmother!

And like Melissa said - that's great progress.

I learned a long time ago to pay attention to the subconscious - I just wish sometimes it would be a little clearer in what it's trying to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home