Friday, December 15, 2006

Friday, December 15, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde
Cloudy and warm

Not much writing done yesterday. Not much thinking about it, either, except for the Plum essay.

Drove to Hartsdale to look for buttons and additional yarn for the coat my mom is knitting me. We found both – surprising, especially yarn-wise. I looked at fabric for the Earth Quilt – but, come on, calicos at $11/yard, when Jo-Ann’s sells it for $3? Same manufacturer, same pattern? Guess where I’ll head after the holidays. I know the color palette – greens, browns, and creams – but I want to sketch a design before I actually shop for the fabric.

Stopped at a Chef store on the way – oh, my gosh, was I drooling with all the cake pans and tart pans and woks and steamers and . . .you get the idea. I was pricing, not buying today. I could drop 10 grand in that place without blinking. If I had both the 10 grand and the kitchen in which to put everything.

In the future . . .

Took an alternate route home because the highway was backed up, and it was quick and pleasant.

Put together eighteen cookie platters. It didn’t take as long as I expected, and they look pretty darned good, if I say so myself. Delivered 11 of them locally; will take the other 7 in to the city with me early this morning to get them where they need to be. I’m going to get more bags – I still have cookies left, so I can make more platters as I think of it. There are definitely other people to whom I’d like to give – I just wasn’t sure I’d baked enough, and these eighteen were the utmost priority.

Believe it or not, that took up the whole day.

The cats were actually very good and kept out of the way, although Violet did run around when the platters were all lined up and ready to go, and undid ALL the ribbons, so I had to go and retie them.

Vegetable frittatas for dinner – nice and light. With all the heavy food for the holiday season, sometimes, as Elizabeth David says, “an omlette and a glass of wine” is the way to go.

I got a little more than half my domestic cards done last night. So, tonight, I’ll try to get some more done. I think I’ll have to split the second half into halves and do some today and some tomorrow.

Great yoga session this morning – amazing how much it improves my outlook.

Too warm, though – I’ve been in sleeveless tops for the last few days, and, in December in the Northeast, that’s just WRONG.

Today, I’m in the city – hopefully not too long, although I may give myself a treat. And then, it’s back to the page.


Devon

8 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Lara said...

YOu know, I have noticed that phenomenon, too. When you're putting together Christmas stuff for people, it DOES tend to take the whole day!

IT's weirdly warm here, too. Will we get white Christmases?

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Your baking looks phenomenal! I love the mini-bundt cakes!

Hope you have a great day!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Did you take a picture of the cookie plates? I'd love to see them. I bet they turned out great.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Sya said...

Sounds like you got a lot done! I'm really amazed with all your baking photos.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

It's been warm here, too (80 tomorrow!), though we're supposed to get a cold front next week.

I'm hot to have a roasting pan but I dare not go into Williams-Sonoma. ;)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Meretta said...

The pictures of your baking is making me hungry! I've gotten some of mine done, but not nearly enough. This weekend that will be my mission.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

I'm going to (finally) make some cookies today, thanks to drooling over your pictures. And yes! Treat yourself today! You've been so busy, goodness knows you deserve it.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Sandy J said...

The weather has been warm and beautiful here. I have not baked at all this year. Everyone in my household is perpetually on a diet or health food kick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home