Friday, December 22, 2006

Friday, December 22, 2006
Waxing Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Cloudy and cool


Check out “Lone Traveler” by Rachelle Arlin Credo on Circadian. It should have gone up earlier, but I had a lot of trouble with the site for the past few weeks. At least it’s finally up – our last poem of 2006!

In the next couple of weeks, I have to get everything finished up for the first few Circadian months of 2007 – and hope that I have fewer problems with the site.

Busy day yesterday. Work was fine; climbing over tourists was same old, same old.

Getting up at 6 AM again is working well – I have time to do my yoga and meditation, and then I write 1500 words or so before I take my shower and start my day. I’m much more productive all day with that kind of a start. I still prefer to do my yoga before I start writing, even though I reversed it during Nano.

Yule ceremony was lovely and simple – welcoming back the light; trying to get the darkness out of our own cobwebby corners.

Lovely Yule gifts – mostly yoga-related: clothes, mat, block, book, new fitness journal, and also John Matthews’s The Celtic Oracle, which used to be called The Celtic Shaman Pack. So, something new to learn, very cool.

I’m falling behind in Warmth of the Hearth and worried that if I don’t write it in season, I’ll lose momentum.

Ideas for two short stories (I need to write three new stories in January). One, tentatively titled “Illuminated Nude” was inspired by an anecdote in Jimmy Charters’s memoir; the other – well, a character started talking, gave me the first line. Both are in a slightly new direction, and I think will be fun. I want to keep them short. The first, in particular, won’t be light (in spite of the title), but I want to keep them in the 1200-1500 word range.

Muttered over an idea which I originally thought was part of Warmth, but it turns it into such a different story, and the point of Warmth is to be a warm Christmas story. And then, I realized how it was actually part of another story, and was the flashback of two other characters who have nothing to do with Warmth – flashbacks when they run into each other again later in life. Phew. Had a bit of anxiety going there for awhile.

Next week will be prep for a whole bunch of submissions to shoot out on the 2nd of January. It’s silly to send it out next week, in the chaos; best to prep everything well and get it out first thing the following week.

The series which sparked a few days ago is starting to take shape, as well as two shorter-term projects that will be both fun to work on and good kick starts.

I also had an idea for a big, huge project – but don’t know if I can pull it off. I think the groundwork alone would take a year – but I do know that there is nothing quite like it currently out there, which is always a good thing.

Nice morning’s work – a page or two of a tangent between the elf, the angel, and the siren – but it sets up something important for all three. 1125 words for the day. Now I can take my shower and get going with the rest of the day – I need to clear off my desk and get both more writing and more business done.

See what happens when you go upside down in a shoulder stand? The blood goes to your head and you get inspired. Then you go right side up and have to write it down quickly before you forget it all.

The turkey is out of the freezer and in the fridge, defrosting; the pork roast comes out today to do the same (even though the roast is for the Eve and the turkey for the Day – but hey, the turkey’s bigger. I need to get potatoes, and if anyone’s got the JOY OF COOKING (mine’s in storage) – do they have a good recipe for scalloped potatoes, and, if they do, can you send it to me? I’m having scalloped potato trauma. (The cure is a lot of red wine). Four shelves of cookbooks and no simple scalloped potato recipe..

Oh, and the leftover oatmeal biscuits from day before yesterday? Turning into little oatmeal rocks. So, last night, when we had chicken for dinner, we made some gravy and had biscuits with gravy. Once they soaked for awhile, they were fine. But I want to find a way to modify the recipe. I think I’ll take the cream from the cream biscuit recipe and throw it into the oatmeal biscuit recipe instead of the buttermilk and see what happens. Or I’ll double the buttermilk, to make it moister. I wouldn’t dare to take these out to feed ducks. Maybe use them as skipping stones, but that’s it. And they were fine just out of the oven.

Lots to do today, too, and on into the weekend. And I get to take my mom out to lunch, which is always fun.

If I don’t check in before the holiday, have a merry, merry, happy, happy!

Devon

Token and Affections – 30,575 words out of est. 35,000



Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
30 / 35
(85.7%)



13 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Your project sounds intriguing!

I hope you have a wonderful holiday, Devon. It sure sounds like it's going to be a YUMMY one!

;-) {{HUGS}}

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I hope you have a wonderful holiday! :)

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Have a wonderful, joyful holiday!! :)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Carolyn Burns Bass said...

I'm thinking about your shoulder stand as I'm in need of some energy this morning.

Blessings to you, Lady Devon.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Happy holidays, Devon!!!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Whew!

And have a very merry Christmas!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Meretta said...

Upside down in a shoulder stand sounds a little out of my league, I must admit. Could I just bend over? ;)

Good luck with all your submissions!

Happy Holidays!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Have fun at lunch! Great going on all the Yoga things.
I hope you have a wonderful time during the Holidays!!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Oh, forgot to mention I have Joy Of Cooking.(couldn't find an email for you, so putting it here!)

Scalloped Potatoes:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Drop into boiling water: 3C. pared, very thinly sliced potatoes, 1tsp. salt. Parboil about 8 minutes.Drain well. Grease a 10 inch baking dish. Place potatoes in it in 3 layers, sprinkling each layer with flour and dotting with butter. Use in all: 2 Tblesp. flour, 3-6 Tblesp. butter.
(there are many tidbits (gottta love this book!) you can put between the layers. Try: 1/4 C. finely chopped chives or onions, 12 anchovies or 3 slices minced crisp bacon-but then reduce the salt in the recipe, 1/4 C. finely sliced sweet peppers.
Heat: 1 and 1/4 C. milk or cream
Season with: 1 and 1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
(1/2 tsp. dry mustard)
Por mixture over the potatoes. Bake about 35 minutes, testing for tnederness with fork.

There's another Scalloped Potatoe recipe with hot condensed mushroom or celery soup, did you want that one as well?

Anyway, hope this was useful!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

I hope you have a terrific holiday, Devon, and a happy and successful 2007!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Doing my last round of blogs before yuletide descends.

Merry Christmas, my friend.

:o)

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Dru said...

Devon,

Happy Holidays!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

I have problems standing on my feet, let alone my head - I'm with Meretta - can I just bend over?

Happy Holidays Devon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home