Friday, December 08, 2006

Friday, December 8, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde
Cloudy and COLD


Plugged away on Tokens and Affections yesterday. I’ve reached a difficult section, but I have to plow through and get to the next complicated section. I did a tiny bit this morning, and need to do more before switching back to “Merry.”

The editor of the Plum essay requested some revisions, so I’m going to think them through for a couple of days and then email her my ideas on them before I start, so I don’t go off on the wrong track. The revisions are due Jan. 1.

I started work on the revisions of “The Merry.” I realized that, if it has to reach its destination by snail mail on the 15th, I have to get it out early in the week. So I need to get it typed and revised this weekend.

The show was okay. Climbing over tourists during the holiday season is always annoying. New York gussies itself up beautifully for the season, and I’m glad tens of thousands come in to enjoy it, but please: It is NOT cute to walk arm in arm six across on the sidewalk, purposely going slowly so that people can’t pass you; it is NOT cute to go through a revolving door and stop as soon as you’ve reached the outside – clear so the next person can get through; it is NOT cute to stop in the middle of the sidewalk for whatever reason – it is a side WALK, not a sideSTAND, if you want to stop, go to one side or the other so that those of us who have someplace to be – a place you’ve probably prepaid to attend, can actually get there and make it happen.

There are all sorts of changes going on in the show, and what I’ve seen so far are, in my opinion, diluting it and dumbing it down. Technically, I have no right to have an opinion, but, of course, I do. And one of my favorite people in the show is the victim of a poor creative decision – he deserves better. It just makes me shake my head.

People were glad to see me and pleasant, which is always nice. And it was nice to be away from the stresses on the home front for awhile.

The retroactive pay from the new contract was in this week’s check – not much, but hey, every dollar makes a difference, right?

The temperature dropped about twenty degrees during the evening. Even with the cuts and changes in the show, I got out nearly ten minutes LATER than I ever have before, and had to scuttle for the train. It was darned cold – and guess what Metro North did? They had the AIR CONDITIONING on! It was colder inside the train than outside of it, which is completely ridiculous, but completely typical. By the time I got home, I was so cold I wondered if I would ever warm up again.

I need to get my writing resume updated and get some packets out this weekend for pitches.

The word count for Tokens reads 100% today – I’m trying to motivate myself. I hit the estimated word count, but it’s not enough. I’ll push back the word count tomorrow, because there’s a whole big chunk of the plot that still needs to happen. I feel disconnected from Elmira right now, and having trouble getting back into the world of the story.


Devon



“The Merry’s Dalliance” – Draft 1A – 3,149 words out of estimated 6,500
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
3 / 6
(50.0%)



Tokens and Affections – 25,500 words out of est. 25,000
Zokutou word meter
25 / 25
(100.0%)


PS I’m being “told” that I should switch to the New Blogger – let’s see how much aggravation that entails!

5 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I've come to the conclusion that most people are just plain Clueless. *rolling eyes* I'm sorry you're having to put up with them.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Air conditioning??? That is crazy!

When I was in Chicago, I had to remind myself not to stand and gawk on the sidewalk. But it was hard - I was in awe of how tall the buildings were (this coming from a VERY small-town girl - our town was only 1,600 people and I grew up on a farm ten miles from there).

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Thanks for the tips for when *I* visit NYC next Christmas! (Yep, we're doing it, just Hubby and me!)
I am definitely one of the "awed" ones who would stop outside the revolving door. I'm like a kid, I tell ya!

;-)

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

One good difference between old and new Blogger: postings post immediately. Also, when you post a photo or picture, the "Done" windows shows you a copy of it. One annoying thing is if you want to post on another Blogger's blog, you have to be signed into your Google account first. And if you wrote your comment before signing in, when you're returned to the comment page your comment's gone and you've got to write it again, unless you copied it to the pasteboard beforehand. d:

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

I'm holding off on the new Blogger. Tourists and shoppers seem to be one-in-the-same when it comes to doing annoying things like holding up others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home