Monday, December 11, 2006

Monday, December 11, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde
Cloudy and mild

How tired am I?

Tired.

Good tired, but tired.

Unfortunately, I had horrible dreams again last night. Hate it when that happens.

Errands yesterday morning, including getting the paper and a few last minute bits for the baking. Then off to White Plains, where I did the bookstore run and looked for certain objects at Target, without finding what I wanted at the latter; doing better than expected at the former.

Back home, where I made three batches of molasses spice cookies and two batches of ginger cookies. I would have made three batches of the latter, but I ran out of molasses – twice. The first time, I dashed back out to the grocery store, but I miscalculated and was not about to go out again.

At any rate, those two types of cookies filled a bin able to hold 21 quarts of . . .stuff. I had a tin crisis and had no place to put the cookies, so I got one of those 21 quart Tupperware type things for cat food or birdseed or whatever, scrubbed it out, lined it with wax paper, and put 21 quarts of cookies into it.

I decided that the linzer cookies need a test run –something in the recipe doesn’t sit right, but I need to experiment – no time to do that before the gift plates have to go, and the thumbprint cookies, the same. So, I’m only making one more type of cookie for the plates, a basic sugar cookie, tomorrow, and then the miniature lemon bundt cakes on Wednesday, and I’m putting together the plates on Thursday. I want to move them all out and deliver them by the end of the week.

In case you’re wondering how I’m eating through all of this, I had pizza margharita for lunch yesterday; smoked ham, peas, and pasta in alfredo sauce last night; bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning; forgot lunch; chicken biriyani for dinner. So I’m cooking!

Also managed to write the overseas cards last night, after the cookies were safely packed; have to finish addressing them this morning and take them to the post office, then get started on the cards to Canada and the domestic cards.

Thought about the “Merry” revisions, although I didn’t do much, and wrote notes on two other story ideas. One is a Christmas/holiday one that I should write “in season” even though I can’t market it until at least next year for the following year; the other is an interesting experiment on themes I’ve been thinking about for awhile. We’ll see; deadlines first, everything else has to fall into place behind it.

I have to finish “The Merry” revisions today, because it needs to wing its way across the country tomorrow morning, if it’s going to arrive by Friday. I’m getting a little spoiled with being able to email most things by deadline – having to submit it via regular mail is upsetting my planning. So I have to plan better.

Hard to think about swashbuckling on the high seas when you’re literally up to your eyebrows in molasses, flour, and confectioners’ sugar.

Realized how to fix something that’s been bothering me on Token, so that should help.

On today’s agenda: More baking, revisions, and wrapping the last gifts that have to be mailed domestically – because those have to go out either tomorrow or Wednesday. The butter is softening as I type this.

Could I please have six more hours in the day, to only be used for baking and writing? Thanks for taking care of that. Appreciate it.

Cats running around in all directions, yelling, for no discernable reason. Just another a.m. at the old homestead.

Devon

11 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

*hugs* re the bad dreams.

Your decorations are lovely, btw! :)

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I baked this weekend, too! Got me a few packages of Pillsbury Ready Made Sugar Cookies with the reindeer and Christmas trees. ;-) I sometimes miss making things from scratch, but with the dayjob, I just don't have time to do that anymore (and plus I would eat way too much of it).

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Costume Imp said...

Cats running around in all directions, yelling, for no discernable reason.

It's in the air I think. The little ones here were raising holy terror this morning at 7am. Howling, screaming, and headbutting the bedroom door. Usually they wait until they know I'm awake to begin the morning tirade, but this morning they Woke Me Up. I Shot out of bed, convienced I was going to find both of them mortally wounded, and utterly forgetting that I had pulled the heater out last night. So the first encumberance I encountered was an electric cord and radiator. Luckily for me, the bedroom door broke most of my fall.

Of course this gave the girls the split second they needed to compose themselves before I opened the door, and they were demurely waiting for me by their respective breakfast dishes, gazing up at me with the typical "Well Daddy, What took you so damn long?" look of feline distain. Roo was trembling, and for a while I was sure she had hurt herself somehow. Now I'm beginning to believe she was merely doing her best to contain her laughter at the prank she pulled on Daddy this morning. Never have I heard howling /screaming from a kitten as I did this morning. It was very reminisant of the noise wounded baby bunnies make.

So evidently my ladies have taken on a new job, that of Alarm Clock. Either that, or they are just taking sick pleasure in scaring the living hell out of their Daddy early in the morning...

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Tell me you had margharita pizza and not the other way around! My first thought was "Oh!" then "oh" then "ew." ;))

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Siobhan said...

I need at least six more hours in the day too. It's a busy time of year. Never get round to making cookies. Can't have them around the place anyway as I find them too tempting and once I start eating them I can't stop. Cats are feeling neglected when we're so busy methinks, hence the yelling. Anyway, I'm wishing you less stress. The bad dreams are probably because you're strung out. So do some Yoga, listen to chill out music and relax! And if that doesn't work, try a couple of glasses of wine!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

You know what I love about this time of year? All the holiday baking. It's so much fun and people just love getting homemade gifts. :)

HUGS on the bad dreams.

Oh and I tried to post yesterday about the pictures, but blogger wouldn't let me - so LOVE the pictures!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Sory to hear about the bad dreams. I wish I was as on the ball for baking as you are! We put our tree up and decorated it last night, only to wake up to ornaments littering the floor thanks to the frisky felines. Have fun with the sugar cookies!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Anita said...

If you figure out how to get those extra hours in the day, let me know! I would actually bake if I had some extra hours, but as it stands, I barely even go in my kitchen to make dinner, much less bake anything!

Bad dreams are no fun at all. I've been having some myself lately. I find I have them when I'm stressed. I hope your bad dreams stop soon!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Heather Brewer said...

You made cookies and didn't give me any??

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Must be the time for bad dreams - mine came during my morning nap.

Only managed the one batch of fudge yesterday, but hopefully I'll be feeling better tomorrow to get started on the other stuff. I didn't bake at all last year, so I'm determined to get some done this time. I even broke down and bought the ready made cookies Melissa mentioned, hope they work.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

LMAO thankfully I don't need any extra hours as my workload has dropped dramatically (yay on one hand, bored on the other).

Pasta Alfredo. Oh yummerama!

:o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home