Saturday, December 16, 2006

Saturday, December 16, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde
Sunny and pleasant

First of all, Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate! Last night was the first night, and I want to extend my best wishes for the eight days and beyond. Peace, joy, and love!

SJ and Dru, thanks for stopping by! Hope you don’t mind me adding you to my “daily blog reads! Dru, I tried to comment on your blog, but can’t because of the Beta thingy – ME Ellis can make it work with “other” – but I can’t. Sigh. Nice to meet a fellow Pisces AND fellow quilter!

So. . .yesterday was a running around day in the city. New York is lovely during holiday times, even if you have to step on many tourists. I admit enjoying the entire families that come in for the day, dressed up – the girls have velvet dresses with coats over them and big red bows in their hair, the boys are in suits – very nice! They’re trying to be nonchalant, but there’s just too much cool stuff to look at and experience!

Off the train, across 42nd Street and down to 41st street to drop off a platter at Rent – even though I haven’t worked there in months, I still adore them and miss them and want them to know that I’m thinking of them during the holidays. Then up to 44th Street, to the Broadhurst, where the revival of Les Miz is playing – I know most of the crew from other shows. Caught up with a few people there. And a quick stop at Sardi’s and some of the restaurants/coffee shops/regular hangouts on my way up to 51st St. and Wicked, where I dropped off a bunch of stuff and ran away before they could figure out a reason to keep me for the day!

On up to the Time Warner Center to pick up a few things and get distracted by L’Occitane, Godiva, Borders, and, of course, Williams-Sonoma. Can I just say that I must never be allowed in that store unsupervised?

Across the bottom of the Park and down Fifth Avenue. Pretty, but everything they sell there is irrelevant to my life unless it comes from Tiffany and Co. I mean, if I’m going to spend that kind of money on an evening dress for an event, I’m not getting it from Bergdorf or Bendel, where there’s a whole rack of them! I’m going to hire someone from the theatre to create something unique!

Picked up a few more things, took the train back out and had a million more things to do once I got out here.

However, I managed to get ideas out to my editor – they should have gone out earlier, but I’ll spend a lot of time on the piece this weekend and submit it early, so whatever.

And, of course, it’s never just dropping something off. It’s “how’s your life?”, “What’s new?”, “I heard . . .”, “Oh, it’s only 11 AM . . .okay, I’ll have a martini”, “I’d love to stick around and have a peppermint latte”, “a glass of merlot is lovely.” And then it’s six hours and a bottle of Tums later.

Can I just say the Attorney General’s office in the State of New York rocks? Good news from them on The Sequel, and that’s all I can say right now.

And then I had to run some errands out here, which is fine, except you know I have morphed into the cliché of a pathetic suburbanite; because not only did I move the car three times in the parking lot of the same mall because I was too darn lazy to walk the length of it . . .I forgot where I parked the darned thing and ended up wandering around like an idiot for longer than it would have taken me to keep it in one spot.

And I really, really, really need to stop finding cute things to put in my friend’s gift bag or I’ll have to hire a truck to get it to him!

And, and, and . . .I got to have panettone for dessert last night. A genuine, delicious, Italian panettone! I love it, but so often here it’s prepared like glorified fruit cake and it’s dry and icky. This one was perfect!!!!! I was in heaven.

Can you tell I’ve had WAAAAY too much sugar the last few days? You’d think I was a yappy Chihuahua or something, when in reality, I’m more like a cross between a very stubborn terrier and a Doberman (Doberwoman)?

What about the damn writing, huh? I mean, this is supposed to be about writing, and I’ve talked more about eating lately. I haven’t even eaten that many cookies lately; I’m just obsessed with baking them. It’s gotten so bad they’ve taken away my butter and my flour so I can’t bake anymore for a few weeks! ;)

Okay, so check out the Dog Blog (the post is “What Do You Want?”) and check out Kemmyrk (“7 for ‘07”), and check out Biblio Paradise (“Gift Ideas for Writers”), all of which have fresh posts. New posts. “Fresh posts” makes it sound like I’ve changed the cat litter or something and added to the compost heap. So go check those links. Wordish Wanderings will keep the 2007 GDRs as the top post for awhile, because it’s easier for people to find them there.

I only wrote 11 holiday cards last night – I kept getting distracted. I did work on the holiday piece, a bit (two of the main characters are stuck in the snow on the side of the road), and played around with ideas for the Plum essay rewrite.

I also read Mary Jane Davidson’s Undead and Unappreciated, which is funny and imaginative, and started re-reading one of my favorite books about books, Used and Rare, by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone, telling how they were drawn into collecting books.

More errands today, and the clothes hamper is spitting the clothes back out, so it’s time to do umpteen loads of laundry. You have no idea how much I envy those of you who have laundry in your house. I’m sick of lugging my laundry down three flights of stairs and over to another section of the building, half the time to find there aren’t any washers free, and have to lug it all back up and wait. I am grateful it’s in the building, but I’d rather it was part of my own living space.

You realize when I buy my house I’m going to go nuts buying the Uber-Appliances for everything just because I can!

Off to errands, and then face the Wash Monster.

Writing plans: Token and Affections, the Plum rewrite, the holiday piece.

And work on more cards.

Devon

5 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I've got my fingers crossed re The Sequel. Hang in there.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Me too...but HA HA on the "too much sugar thing!"
You almost seem giddy...and I think it suits you!
:-)

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Wow! I can tell you're feeling better! You're practically boinging! I can relate on the Willaim-Sanoma attitude. I had Dh get me a pair of mixing bowls from them for Chritmas 2 years ago. He thought I was weird! Thanks for the ideas on wrapping the bird feeders, by the way. Oh, and I'm just so glad you seem to be in lighter spirits!! *g*

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Dru said...

Don't you just love NY during the holidays? People seem to be a bit nicer.

I remember the first time I went into Time Warner Center and I felt like a tourist in a new place. I went in there with lots of money and came out with less.

Your building should have what my building has..a intercom system in our laundry room so all I have to do check the TV channel and once I see that it's empty..I rush down there to do my laundry.

Sorry you can't comment on my blog. I hope they fix the problem.

--Dru Ann

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I was going to say what Lara said - you sound happy. :) And it also sounds like you've had a great day. Enjoy the sugar high!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home