Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday, December 10, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde

Sunny and warmer

I only had the computer on once, yesterday, for about five minutes, to do a quick email check. Far too much to do otherwise.

A good bit of Friday morning was taken up, again, with The Sequel, and the State’s instructions on how to proceed. We will get the information to the tenants, but they are each going to have to take personal responsibility and file the correct paperwork, not just sit around and do nothing because they’re “too busy” or “don’t want to put my name to anything”. You want a roof over your head? Start being pro-active.

Had to brave the bitter cold to get to the post office and get some bread – not enough time to bake a loaf, so I had to buy one. The wind chill brings the temperature way down.

I just noticed, on my calendar, that the Solstice is the day after the New Moon. How perfect is that?

I tried to do the Blogger switch on Friday – even remembered Colin’s advice and saved all the links, just in case. Of course, it didn’t work. They tell me to switch, then tell me my blog’s not one of those that can be switched. Whatever. I’m perfectly happy to keep it the way it is; however, the beta is annoying because it takes at least six screens now to leave a comment AND I keep having to type in the code because even though I type it in exactly as it appears, it’s not accepted. It took me SEVEN TRIES to get a two or three word comment up on Ovations. And three to four tries on everything else. Frustrating.

And why do the legit commentors have to do all the work? We shouldn’t have to do extra work because of spammers – figure out a better way!

I finished Draft 1A of “The Merry’s Dalliance” Friday afternoon before I had to leave for the theatre. Came in just over 7K.

I let it sit yesterday, and revisions start today – it needs to go out Monday or latest Tuesday morning. Most of it I think it good; some is merely good bones and needs to be fleshed out.

It’s definitely part of a bigger world, so we’ll see what happens. I think I’ve structured it strongly enough to stand alone for this outing, but to whet the appetite to know more about these people.

I also realized I’ve been referring to Token and Affections as “Tokens” in the plural, instead of “token” in the singular. It’s the latter, and it’s an important part – one token, several affections.

Friday was, shall we say, interesting, at the theatre. I get in to do my pre-set. One of my actors broke a shoelace, so I left the shoe out on the table, with a note, asking for the lace to be replaced. Not a big deal, no brain surgery, get another shoelace from the supply cabinet, thread it in, five minutes, right?

Well, Daywork Chickie took the shoe downstairs to shoe repair – which is silly, because it’s a shoelace, for crying out loud, and anyone can do it, it’s not a major repair requiring shoe expertise – several people saw the shoe come down – and it was nowhere to be found.

Shoes in a show are specialized, and it’s not like there are doubles. If a shoe goes missing, there’s nothing to replace it. And it’s not like an actor can wear any old thing in his size or wear something of his own.

The assistant supervisor, several other dressers and I tossed the building, looking for it. We went room to room, in case it got returned to the wrong place by accident. We tore the place apart.

No shoe.

Then, one of the principal dressers comes in and said, “I have your shoe. I ran into X on the subway; she’d put it in her bag.”

Would have been nice if she’d called to let us know she had it, you think? Accidents happen, but this was just waaaaay too out of control, when all that needed to happen was a replacement of a shoelace.

But the shoe was back and got on the actor’s foot in time, so it all worked out.

More changes went into the show, which completely rearranges my sequence in the middle of the show. It’s fine, it’s not a problem, it’s just a case of getting it in my body and figuring out what happens when and where.

Train this and that in both directions, but I eventually got where I needed to go, so, whatever.

And the actors on my floor say they’ve heard I’m taking the track permanently, since that dresser isn’t returning from her leave of absence. No one’s talked to me about it, and I don’t feel I can take a permanent slot with everything going up in the air. I was completely tongue-tied when they asked – didn’t see that coming, at all. If I WAS going to accept a permanent track, I’d want that one, but I don’t think it’ll come to pass. As my friend A. said, “You have a house to buy, and it’s nowhere near here.”

Saturday, I hit the ground running, early, to wrap and send out the last of the overseas packages. Then, it was off to Mohegan Lake, to the fabric store – a lovely day for a forty minute drive. I didn’t find the buttons for the knitted coat my mom’s making me (from my design), but I did get cookie tins for a neighbor, fabric for the chair covers I’m making as part of my mom’s Christmas present, and I can’t remember what else. We decided not to stop in White Plains on the way back because the traffic was so awful, but went back to Port Chester to Party City, so I could get what I need to create the cookie plates.

Then, I baked three enormous batches of oatmeal/raisin/chocolate chip cookies – there were tables with plates of cooling cookies set up all over the place. I’d never used the recipe before (my standards are in storage, unfortunately), and the first batch was a little more crumbly than I wanted. But I discovered that if I mixed in some of the ingredients in a different order than stated in the recipe, and cut back the oats by a ½ cup, it came out perfectly. Also, if I formed the cookies with my hands instead of spoon-dropping them, they were better.

Before the Sanitary Mom Police get on my case, two things: first of all, I keep a clean kitchen and a clean person when I work (and yes, it was secured as feline-free). Second, moms who claim this military germ-free obsession no longer have any credibility anymore, since one of the most militant ones I know, just yesterday, was giving The Germ Lecture, stopped to wipe her sick, coughing toddler’s runny nose with her bare hand, and went on to handle food not meant for her family. If you want to keep your snot in your own family, fine with me, but don’t behave that way and expect me to take your germ lectures seriously. Ewwww.

I have to brave the crowds of White Plains this morning, finish writing the overseas cards, bake three batches of another kind of cookie – and do the revisions on “The Merry.”

I better hop to it.

Devon

“The Merry’s Dalliance” -- 7,028 words out of est. 6,500

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
7 / 6
(116.7%)

3 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Whew! You've been very busy. Glad to hear you've finsihed your 1st draft of "The Merry's Dalliance".
And I hear you on the germ thing, eeeewwww!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Bernita said...

Blogger gave me the same message.
I'm going WTF?

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Mom Germ Police! HA HA!!

Okay, the snot thing was gross. Just gross. Ew.

And you're like me...you keep it all clean and sanitary, but unfortunately others don't. But I'd eat your cookies anytime!
;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home