Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thursday, December 14, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde
Cloudy and warm


So I sent Blogger a strongly-worded email, voicing my displeasure. I should NOT be forced to have a Google account, when they claim I can use my Blogger account to comment. I should NOT be refused access to commenting on Beta blogs because I don’t want a Google account. I should NOT have to sign in to Blogger every single effing time I want to leave a comment. Once I’m signed in, I should stay signed in for the whole damned session.

Using “other” or “anonymous” to leave comments on Beta doesn’t work. It simply keeps telling me I’m not signed in/I didn’t type in the anti-spam letters properly. It is complete and utter bullshit.

I am not amused, and I am tired of Blogger and Google wasting my time and trying to coerce me, violating my rights.

Anyway, since I can’t comment on the Beta blogs, I’m commenting here:

Jungle Jim: Pass me a beer and congrats on the chili cook-off.

Anita: Don’t go to grad school just because you want to go to grad school. It’s too much time, money, and commitment. If you are absolutely, obsessively passionate about something you can ONLY get in grad school, other than a piece of paper, then do it. Otherwise, skip it. You can always take classes in particular areas you like for credit and keep the credits to use in a transcript when you’ve decided on what you want to focus.

Kristen: In addition to the style guides you’ve mentioned, whenever I’m editing one of my own novels, I also re-read THE ELEMENTS OF STYLE from cover to cover, which, to me, is the penultimate of perfection, style-wise. The other style guides are pretenders to that throne.

Amazon.com can bite me, too. I ordered a book as a Christmas gift for a friend back in November, and now they’re telling me it won’t ship until January – unless, of course, I cough up some extra cash for expedited shipping. Originally, they said it would ship in 5-7 days. I told them it was not acceptable and called it for what it is – extortion – and let them know either they get it to me when I need it, or I’m filing formal complaints –using the term extortion – with the BBB, the Attorney General, etc. If it’s happening to me, I’m sure it’s happening to other people. They tried this a year or so ago, and I ended up losing a freelance job because they held a book hostage, wanting additional shipping costs. I’m not putting up with this crap again. They USED to be a good company. No more.

I am taking the thousands of dollars I spend on books elsewhere. It’s actually cheaper to order from other independents, including shipping, then dealing with Amazon now. Yes, they “offer” a discount, and claim they’ll give you free shipping over X dollars – but then they hold the materials hostage until you pay more than you would had you paid full price. No, thank you.

There are plenty of independent booksellers who will treat me better. Like Strand, who does so on a weekly basis.

I made the little lemon cakes – 21 little ones and 2 medium-sized ones, out of two batches of full-sized cake batter. They are cute, and, when sprinkled, should be perfect. Tomorrow morning, I can start putting together the platters and getting them the heck OUT of here!

Delivered some gifts in the late morning/early afternoon and caught up with a few people.

The order from Strand arrived last night (shipped the previous day, I might add), containing the two books I need to read before I do the revision of Assumption. Also, a package arrived with one of the gifts for my mom. Now I have to dig up a box and wrap it properly.

I woke up this morning and wandered into the kitchen to feed the cats – and found one of the medium-sized lemon cakes unwrapped, on the floor, with bites taken out. Elsaaaaaa! It had to be that one – and I guess I should be grateful she only unwrapped and snacked on one, instead of all of them.

Off to do some work on Token and on the Plum essay now, and then more errands (some of yesterday’s were postponed because it rained so hard some streets around here flooded) . . .and then it’s putting the cookie plates together and delivering the local ones.

I didn’t get anything up on the Dog Blog yesterday, so I’ll try to make sure it goes up later today (I actually have something to say this week).

Oh, and some beginning writer of whom I’ve never heard contacted me, demanding that I give her my list of contacts at magazines (she “doesn’t have time” to look through Writer’s Market or read sample issues); walk her through the doors of agents and publishing houses because she’s written a couple of books her husband likes; since I’m published I “owe” unpublished writers; and, after all, spelling and grammar don’t really matter, because they have editors there, don’t they?

There’s a word for people like her: Delusional.

Cranky post this morning, isn’t it? I wish the temperature would drop and we’d get a dusting of snow, just like a bit of confectioner’s sugar, to make it seem more wintery. Right now, I’m in cotton yoga pants and a sleeveless shirt. Wrong clothing for December!

I’m going to try to get in about an hour of yoga later this afternoon and maybe a good meditation. I’ve let the meditation slide and I’ve noticed the negative difference.

It’ll be nice when the cookie plates are delivered, and there aren’t tables of cookie tins reaching to the ceiling!

Although, I have to admit, I enjoyed the baking process. Thus far, I’ve gone through 15 pounds of flour, 8 pounds of butter, 3 pounds of white sugar, 5 pounds of brown sugar, and I don’t want to even try to count how many pounds of chocolate chip morsels!

And I have more recipes I want to try, but I think I might wait until after the holidays to experiment.

I gave up, again, on getting “Christmas Treats” out for the season. I’m getting supposititious about it – every time I work on it, something bad happens. So I’m putting it away until next summer again, trying to find a way to break the hex, and maybe next year, I’ll write a comic Nina Bell story instead to distribute to friends for the holiday.

The other Christmas story thingy is pulling at me – so I might do a few pages of that later today and see what happens. Once the cookie plates are done.

Devon

9 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I love it when you go off on one. And I love the way you have a rant, then talk nicely about little lemon cakes, then go into another rant. I'm fed up with Beta Blogger too.

Oh, and by the way, Devon, as I'm obviously so much busier than you, you couldn't recommend a market I can try for this story my uncle thought was really great, about how funny his cat is, could you ...?

[ducks and runs]

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I love your rants, too! I've got a Christmas present I ordered through Amazon that's on backorder. Of course, I knew going in that it might be late, so I can't really blame them. I'll just wrap a picture of the product. *g*

Books-a-Million.com gets most of my book buying business. They're not the quickest shippers, though. But they have the best prices. :)

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I've had problems with Amazon a few times where they won't ship me a book they claim is in stock. But I just received my orders from them yesterday that I ordered last week. So it's all good right now.

I'm getting very frustrated on not being able to comment on blogs. I refuse to switch mine to Beta right now - and I can't because it's so big. So I'm leaving it as is.

No snow here, either. And I went without my coat yesterday. That's just not right...ESPECIALLY for Nebraska.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Wow, that newbie sure had a lot of nerve! Some people are certainly clueless. UGH.

How funy about the lemon cake! That would happen at my house, but I can always know it's THING THREE! He's my devious one. Kids and cats are similar, that way!

All of our snow melted too--it's just flat and gray outside. Believe it or not, I'm hoping for snow, for Christmas. :-)

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Someone actually demanded your list? How many ways can we spell "bite me"? That's just crazy. You're right - a delusional person. God help the client she runs into!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Your rants are such fun. Seriously! That wanna-be writer is quite delusional. And I hate Beta Blogger. I have a google account, but talk about a hassle to deal with all that! I hope your day is brighter as you hand out your Tins!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Okay, first.. ALL your goodies look divine!! Makes me want to eat something. Second - I can't believe someone DEMANDED you give her your magazine contacts. Hello. And third - sometimes you just gotta rant. :)

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

So it isn't just me then? I've had problems all week. I don't want to change my blog to sodding beta, if I did I'd have done it ages ago. I also feel I'm being cornered to change. When someone tries to manipulate, I kind of dig my heels in. I'll do it if and when I want to, not when I'm told. Had enough of being 'told' what to do my whole damn life!

UGH! Sorry for the vent. Feel better now.

:o)

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Anita said...

Devon,

Thanks for the advice. I'm definately considering doing just what you said. I'm feeling some pressure to do grad school from family and some friends, but I don't want to spend the time and money if it isn't going to help me in the long run. I need to just tell everyone who is pressuring me that it's my life and I need to do what I feel is best for me. In fact, I think I'll do just that! :)

About Blogger Beta.. I was literally forced to switch when I tried to post to my blog for three days in a row and the posts would never go through. I contacted Blogger help and they said I had to switch in order to be able to do new posts. They really need to get their stuff together, don't they? I know a lot of people who have moved to other blogging services because of the total lack of reliability they are encountering with Blogger right now. I'm not considering it, because I haven't had any problems at all since I made the switch, but I know a lot of people have had problems with blogger classic and beta.

By the way, your cakes and cookies look wonderful! They are inspiring me to do my own baking this holiday season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home