Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Dark Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Sunny and a little cooler – but still to warm!


Darned if I can remember what I did yesterday; worked on Token and Affections; worked on the Plum essay; caught up on some blog reading. Finished When Santa Was a Shaman; ran errands; packed some more gifts; paid some bills.

Tokens is shaping to be the first of an interesting cycle of novellas, to launch this new name next year. The Tokens trilogy focuses on Elmira and Declan – but several of the secondary characters in the piece are interesting to go off and have adventures on their own, and I may explore some of that.

I also found part of a YA I started a few years back – I’d like to go back to it, with what I know now, and work on it. I like the idea of it, the concept, the story, the arcs – but I want to apply my growth as a writer to it.

I’m reading a book called A Book and a Love Affair by Helen Bevington. It’s one of the books I got on the last trip to the Book Barn in Niantic. I wish I could remember – I’d heard of Helen Bevington in another author’s memoir and then found some of her books in the local library. So, I was quite excited to find this one.

The cats were whiny and clingy, so I gave them extra one-on-one time, and I did some paperwork having to do with the building.

Oh, yeah, and did four loads of laundry, and quite a bit of hand laundry – the kind of hand laundry where every item needs 15-20 minutes of delicate handling because it’s silk or cashmere or handmade or embroidered or whatever. Have a lot more of that hand laundry to do, so that will take some time. I have no place to put the sweater racks – the ad claimed they fit over the tub – uh, no – and that they stack – sort of – so I have them stacked in the front hallway. The cats keep jumping over them – and putting their toys on the drying sweaters.

I’m excited to start reading and taking notes on the research books for the Assumption rewrite – two memoirs by ex-Secret Service agents, which should give me more background on procedure.

Off to the bank this morning, then back to the page for an hour or so, and then, it’s off to the theatre. I’m “Auntie” to my friend Artie’s cats, and I’ve put a little something for them in the gift bag – only I had to take it back out and hide it because my cats kept trying to get at it.

Sigh.

Devon

6 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I'm excited to dive into the research for my upcoming novel - the resistance in Germany during WW2. I think there's lots of fascinating stories to tell and I can't wait to read them.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Sounds like you had a busy day. Gotta love cats don't you? They doexactly what you don't want them to. But, I bet you were smiling while being exasperated with them! Have a good day!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger SJ said...

how'd you get the memoirs of not one but two ex-ss agents?

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Cats are so funny! Sampson knows when I settle on the couch at the end of the day - that's his cuddle time. He gets cranky if he doesn't get it. :)

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

So I'm not the only one working on more than one project at the same time.

Though I wish I'd get ideas for something shorter than 150K+ epic novels - they take so long to finish. ;)

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I think I'll be researching the book I'll be writing along with the weekend novelist. I have some books on the IRA that I'd like to catch up with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home