Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Waning Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde
Warm and rainy


One of these days I’ll get back to writing about writing. It seems everything else is influencing my writing life lately.

However, I was happy to get “The Merry’s Dalliance” in the mail yesterday. Whether or not they like it is something else; I kept worrying about it all day, wondering what else I could have done differently. The truth is I like the world of the piece, but I’m not sure it’s the right fit for the anthology to which it’s submitted. If they like it, great; if they don’t, I’ll rework it to MY guidelines, not the anthology’s, and send it elsewhere.

But I’m tired and drained, and was logy at work yesterday. My responses were slow and off the mark.

Fortunately, everyone in the city seemed to be in a mellower mood – people are tired of rushing, and they’re meandering a bit more, and wishing each other good cheer and holding doors for each other, so it was a reasonably trauma-free day.

All I wanted to do was sleep, but you can’t do that with a hot steam iron in your hand.

I’m going to adjust my yoga practice for the winter – the newest edition of YOGA JOURNAL has some good ideas that I want to implement. It’s about getting more energy for the winter months, but the poses, such as backbends, are those that open the chest, and I have the side effect of emotional resistance from that, because right now I want to pull in, not open out.

What I really want is four months’ worth of hibernation time to just write and not deal with the world at all.

Thought a lot about the Plum rewrite; playing with ideas, which I will jot down and send to the editor today or tomorrow. And I’m going back into the world of Token again, which is a good thing. I have to figure out how to drop a nugget of information into the tangent so it serves the plot of Token and isn’t just a tangent, in order for the whole piece to come together. I’m also starting my 2006 GDR Evaluation and working on 2007.

Not too bad for a tired brain.

I did some yoga this morning – stretched out some of the kinks, but, pretty much, everything still hurts. I’m starting to think that the only way to fix the problem under my shoulder blade is to shove a knitting needle or an ice pick into it and leave it there constantly, like a great big acupuncture needle.

Did some work on Token this morning – I’m getting back into it. The final housemate stepped in to help out in the attack – I have to tell a bit of her story, and then I can do the sequence in Central Park and the sequence in the West Village bar – and then we gallop to the finish line for this novella. I’m not sure if it’ll come in at 30K or 35K. But I like the way it’s shaping up, and I think the trilogy will work well. Plus, some of the peripheral characters are interesting enough to go off on their own adventures.

I miss my characters from Assumption of Right, and look forward to getting back into those edits in January.

The GDRs and plans for next year are also consuming me. I have to be much more ruthless in guarding my time than I was this year.

A million things to do today, including some running around, holiday cards, and baking the bundt cakes.

I’ll blog over at the SDR site later today, but that probably won’t go up until tonight.

I want to get the ideas for the Plum essay revision out to my editor today.

Devon


Token and Affections -- 26,500 words out of est. 30,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
26 / 30
(86.7%)

5 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I can well believe that you're tired! Wow. You certainly do cram a lot into a day.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Whew! Just reading this wears me out!
And that's a great idea about guarding your time next year - after all you've been through, you deserve some good old fashioned kicking back and relaxing.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Seriously, you deserve a vacation!!
I've gotten back into doing Yoga again after a month and I still have tightness in my foot where I popped the tendon. Hope your shoulder feels better soon.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Lara said...

You're going to laugh, I was seriously GOING GOING GOING all day today (I just got home and haven't been home since 8:30 this morning) and I think...

I finally had a "Devon" day!
;-)
Hope you get some rest soon!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

I, too, hope you get some rest. You do seem to do a lot, but then you've always said that if it's important you'll get it done. I'm tired just reading about it. *gg*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home