Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Wednesday, December 20, 2006
New Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Sunny and cool


Hop on over to the Dog Blog for some ideas on revisions.

Work was fine yesterday. Had to climb over the rude, ignorant, self-absorbed tourists who can’t comprehend the fact they’re not the only people on the street, and there are several million people around them trying to GET SOMEWHERE, probably to prepare the latest tourist entertainment. I’m always glad when people come in and marvel at the city – it’s a marvelous city; however, stop acting like you’re the ONLY person in it! Show some basic consideration for the people around you.

And it only gets worse from now to New Year’s.

I’m having trouble with my MP3 player – the headphones don’t fit in my ears. They keep falling out. The little round discs are too big and don’t fit. And it’s not like I have terribly small ears, either. Plus, when I download music, it’s not notating it correctly – which really isn’t that big a deal, but come on – and, of course, I can’t look up if there’s a way to fix it because the frigging disk they sent with the player DOESN’T OPEN.

So, as fond as I am of the little player, I am less than fond of the Creative Zen company. It’s certainly not a Zen experience.

Finished A Book and a Love Affair. I realized I’ve read her journals from the 1960s and 1970s. I think I liked them better. If I remember correctly, by then she’d outgrown the tendency to trail around after her husband meekly in a way that just makes me want to hurl.

We were talking about something similar at work – how certain “stars” – read “celebrities” – are so “protected” that they can’t dial a phone themselves, can’t handle going to the drugstore, etc., etc. Several people in the conversation felt it was because they were “protected” from the real world, because there’s always a lackey around to deal with it and they “can’t” do it on their own. My position is that if you can’t dial a damn phone by the time you’re forty AND YOU CAN’T BE BOTHERED TO LEARN – well, I have no respect for you. You’re not that special, sweet pea. And eventually, you’re gonna have to learn to deal. Because the majority of these “protected” celebrities don’t have the talent for life-long careers, and they’re going to have to learn to do a whole lot more than dial a phone before they’re through.

And, at this point in my life, there isn’t enough money that can be offered to me to make it worthwhile for me to cater to them.

Hence the career change in the making.

Started reading Tim Powers’s The Drawing of the Dark – and nearly missed my stop coming back on the train. I find his writing to be among the most seductive as far as completely enveloping in his world and enchanting me of almost any other writer I’ve read.

Working on my 2006 Evaluation and my 2007 GDRs. Since I’m taking the Eve and the Day for New Year’s to do a retreat, I want to get the evaluation, anyway, done prior.

Got an idea for a new series yesterday – jotted it down on a scrap of paper. It needs a lot of planning – it’s something that needs meticulous structure and can’t be done blank-page. I may try some of Elizabeth George’s techniques that I find too overwhelmingly detailed for most projects, because I think it just might be what this one needs.

SJ – to answer your question – Strand Books tracked down the memoirs I needed for my research. Strand is my go-to place for research books. They take good care of me, and, dare I say it, enjoy looking for some of the wacky stuff I often need.

I’ll supplement the research with interviews (if I can get any), but I wanted to start with the memoirs, so I know what it is I’m asking.

Had a good yoga/meditation session whose benefits were sorely tested when Elsa decided to throw up EVERYWHERE (narrowly missing my new yoga mat) and then I found out that I was out of paper towels.

But, that crisis was dealt with, I got some work done on Tokens and Affections – I had two big sequences with Elmira and Declan, and then we gallop to the finish line.

Have to run some errands, and remembered three more holiday cards I forgot to write (and a list is good because . . .).

And then, it’s back to the page.

Devon


Tokens and Affections – 27,825 words out of est. 35,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
27 / 35
(77.1%)

10 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Yeah, cat-throwup would NOT be conducive to the Asanas...

Can you believe Christmas is in five days?

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

I don't think I could work around those types of celebrities. Would drive me insane.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I'm with you re the celebrities. Even three year olds can dial a phone, for cryin' out loud. It's not that hard, people. *rolling eyes*

People are so weird.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger ivan said...

Just caromed off Sela's blog to get your post for today.
The boldface type on top, about New Moon has finally explained my manic state this morning.
Writing to all and sundry for no good reason.
Ah well, at least the madness has passed.
So many of us lunatics turn out to be writers!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Sorry to hear the tourists are driving you batty. I promise if I ever visit New York I won't act like the typical tourist. At least Elsa missed your Yoga mat. My kitties are trying to use mine for a scratching post. (I need to get a holder for it.) Hope you have a good day.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

Hi Devon. Thanks for visiting. One of these days, I'd like to visit The City, but I'll probably end up like Jack Lemmon in The Out of Towners. At least you have your new idea and ready to get started during the new moon. I'll check out Tim Power's books. Hope you have a Happy Holiday -- maybe as soon as the tourists leave and the celebrities all depart for sunny climes!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Josie said...

Hi, Devon. New York is my second favorite city in the world, next to Paris. And that was probably me you were stumbling around as I was staring awestruck at everything. I do that when I go there. You are SO lucky to be living there. Sigh...

We have a lot of celebrities in Vancouver because for some reason they make a lot of movies here, and I saw Rene Zellweger a couple of months ago in our local Safeway, just pushing a shopping cart around like "regular folks". At the time I thought, "why doesn't she have someone do that for her?" But that really is ridiculous, isn't it? She has two arms and two legs, just like the rest of us.

You have a great blog. I will visit again.

Cheers,
Josie

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I really need to do an Evaluation of 2006... thanks for the reminder...

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Dru said...

Hi Devon,

I know what you mean about the tourists.

I had to buy several headphones because each one I bought, the earpiece wouldn't stay in. I finally found one at Radio Shack with the clip thing behind the ears and so far, the buds say in my ear.

I think some celebrities forget that they are people just like you and me. And you're right, one day they will be "unprotected".

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Anita said...

Devon,

I promise when I visit New York in June, I won't act like a typical tourist! It'll be my second time visiting the city, and the first time my parents have seen it. But we will make sure to be considerate tourists and not get in anyone's way, lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home